Quantcast

Denon AVR-X7200W/A Owners Thread

HariSeldon

OK, As I couldn't find one I've started this 7200W Owners therad :thumbsup:

Mine should be arriving this week from QuantumAV - they need to fit the HDCP 2.2 Upgrade before dispatch. Can't wait to have a play with Atmos :D

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't that be the latest version re Denon AVR-X7200WA instead of the old model?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Be interested to hear your thoughts regarding sound quality versus the Anthem.

HariSeldon

@Lesmor - yes it will be the WA with the HDCP 2.2 upgrade.

HariSeldon

@mtenga - yes me too! I still have my mrx510 so can do a head to head.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't that be the latest version re Denon AVR-X7200WA instead of the old model?

The models are practically the same after the AVRX7200W has had the HDMI HDCP hardware update. The only difference would be that the AVRX7200WA would have a front HDMI input that has HDCP 2.2 compliance. The AVRX7200W wouldn't have this even after the hardware modification.

There's no reall replacement model for the AVRX7200W planned until at least the end of next year.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The models are practically the same after the AVRX7200W has had the HDMI HDCP hardware update. The only difference would be that the AVRX7200WA would have a front HDMI input that has HDCP 2.2 compliance. The AVRX7200W wouldn't have this even after the hardware modification.

There's no reall replacement model for the AVRX7200W planned until at least the end of next year.
The update board for the 'W' also makes the front HDMI HDCP2.2 compatible. The Denon website appears to be going through an update today so some things are not visible (update board and WA version), but they were there earlier...

Such

is there any way this board could fit in a 5200?

Rootsboy

Standard Member
Be interested to hear your thoughts regarding sound quality versus the Anthem.
@mtenga - yes me too! I still have my mrx510 so can do a head to head.
i would love the hear what your thoughts are on the Anthem MRX510 vs the Denon AVR X7200W. especially for 2 channel music listening, i am currently thinking about just buying a Anthem thinking it would be the way to go for me, but the whole future proof thing has got me a little concerned, but currently my Denon AVR X2000 is not really up to the job on the music side of things.

Steve Stifler

While many people say the Anthem is better with music than most if not all AVRs, in two channel it does not beat a reasonable stereo amp. I've run a MRX500 through PMC Twebty 23s and IMHO my Heed integrated and power supply are much better. It will vary according to your room and speakers. You can at least run ARC and do a multi channel and two channel EQ though (movies and music).

Cartman4x

Following on from my post above I've sent out a few emails to the various stores asking the same question, this was my email:-
""Hi
In the near future I will be looking to run a 7.1.4 Atmos set up with my Denon AVR-x7200 but from my understanding of the instructions I believe that I require a stereo 2 channel amp or an external power amp? Can you recommend one that will complement the look of by Denon Amp please?. Compact size would be a real bonus as well as the smaller it is the easier it would be to fit in my selves. I will be using 4 x Kef R50s for the Atmos effect with my Kef 7.1 set up
Many Thanks & Kind regards""

""PS I am also looking to have the HDMI 2.0 board updated to the 2.2 version soon & although I never purchased the unit from your good selves is this something that my local Sevenoaks HiFi could organise for me as I understand you are a Authorised Denon Dealer?""

This was the response:-

""Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch, I’m excited to hear you will be investing in Dolby Atmos. First of all, where are you located? Just so before I recommend anything I know that there isn’t any stores nearer to you that could be of more assistance.

The power amp I would recommend is the NAD M22 - http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-12099-nad-m22.aspx

This would be a fantastic addition and run most Dolby Atmos set ups comfortably. It would be a good idea to come into our store and talk about this in more depth. Then I can make sure that this is indeed the right product for you.

The price to supply and fit the HDMI board is £210.10.

Please let me know your thoughts. ""

I was quite surprised that I was quoted £2699.00 for a stereo amp??! It costs more than the receiver! Having spend £2300 on the amp when it first came out is £210 about right for the upgrade??

Steve Stifler

In a word Sevenoaks buyers beware. The upgrade price for the HDMI board is £150 so you are beingvstung for £60. The suggestion on the amp is crazy it's way too expensive for adding two surround effects channels. You want something with similar power to the Denon but be careful on their quoted ratings. Ideally if you can get something that has the same sound quality quality but that's a hard call.

You can buy new of look for something on the classifieds.

Good luck

Cartman4x

Thanks for your reply, I thought as much, I also wrote to Denon UK who say they don't make them anymore. The quoted spec for the Denon is 210W per channel so I assume I would need something similar to that

Steve Stifler

There are some two channel amps that have something called AV pass through or something. I think XTZ do one so speak to Jag at Epic Home Cinema. Not sure if you need that. If you have an AVF assured advertiser not far away or a decent AV shop, you should get good advice and maybe even loan of an amp to try out. Don't get too hung up on the Denon's claimed power. Push to borrow one and try with your amp, speakers and room environment it's THE best way to judge and avoid expensive disappointments.

Iain42

Is it possible to set up the Denon so that the front left and right (so the ones used for stereo music) are the channels powered by an external amp, leaving the Denon to power the centre, surround, and atmos channels?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to set up the Denon so that the front left and right (so the ones used for stereo music) are the channels powered by an external amp, leaving the Denon to power the centre, surround, and atmos channels?
Yes.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Look at the Marantz 7025 power amp.

Will be a great partner with the Denon.

I know a few who already use this amp with the Denon 5200.

Contact Dan at TheMovieRooms. £689.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply, I thought as much, I also wrote to Denon UK who say they don't make them anymore. The quoted spec for the Denon is 210W per channel so I assume I would need something similar to that
The rating for the receiver is for two channels driven. The rating in relation to all channels driven will be lower than the two channels driven rating. Are you intending to use the power amp to drive your front left and right speakers or are you intending to use it to drive two Atmos speakers? If the latter then you need only look at amps that compare well to the all channels driven rating, but if looking to power the front stereo pair with it then having more power and a better class of amp would be beneficial for stereo performance. The receivers own amplification isn't any better than you'd expect to get from an integrated £500 amp so I'd not be wanting to spend £2.5K to try match the receiver.

An Audiolab 8200P or a Rotel RB-1572 would be more than sufficient. In fact the Rotel would give you 250 watts per channel for just under £800 and result in lower THD than the receiver.

If considering using the amp to power the front stereo pair then maybe also look into using a 3 channel power amp to try ensure that all three front channels are equally matched.

Last edited:

Cartman4x

Look at the Marantz 7025 power amp.

Will be a great partner with the Denon.

I know a few who already use this amp with the Denon 5200.

Contact Dan at TheMovieRooms. £689.
Sounds like a plan & a reasonable price, are they running the front 2 speakers or the Atmos surround as Dante stated?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sounds like a plan & a reasonable price, are they running the front 2 speakers or the Atmos surround as Dante stated?
One is the other isn't. Sorry that doesn't help.

I use a separate power amp to run my L&R. I ditched a £3.5k 5 channel power amp when I installed the 7200 as it was needed in my room with the Denon.

Steve Stifler

Do some research on those two amps advertised before thinking about buying. I think they are between 10 and 15 years old, so you might want something a bit newer, but then again they sound rather good and one might give you what you are looking for.

Good luck

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The 4520 had an internet hub. I personally would have welcomed them retaining this feature in the 7200. Presumably it has gone due to cost cutting but a retrograde step IMO.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The 4520 had an internet hub. I personally would have welcomed them retaining this feature in the 7200. Presumably it has gone due to cost cutting but a retrograde step IMO.
The hub didn't support gigabit ethernet throughput so was limited anyway.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The hub didn't support gigabit ethernet throughput so was limited anyway.
True it wasnt gigabit but I wasnt intending on backing up any PCs :)

For connecting a few devices that stream Netflix in 1080p and Spotify music etc... it would have been useful. I'm mostly wireless now but I would have used the hub.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The hub would probably have issues with any HD video seeing as it was limited to 100Mbs. My TV's wifi capabilities are better than the AVR4520's network capabilities. Just buy an external gigabit enabled ethernet switch if you need more ports.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The hub would probably have issues with any HD video seeing as it was limited to 100Mbs. My TV's wifi capabilities are better than the AVR4520's network capabilities. Just buy an external gigabit enabled ethernet switch if you need more ports.
The 10 port Switch I used to use, was a pain in as much as it was another box and had to be plugged into the mains. It was only 10/100 but I never had any probs with Netflix etc....

Anyway I am mostly wireless now with only two devices that have to be hard wired and they go straight into the router.

Trending threads

Latest News

Klipsch updates Heritage speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL hits 32 million TV sales in 2019
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp 4K OLED TV to launch in spring 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2020