Denon AVR X6500H passing through audio but no video

petehatfield

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
First time poster here. I spent all night troubleshooting an issue to no avail and I hope someone here can help.
My Denon AVR, which had been working flawlessly for years, has stopped outputting a video signal via the monitor1 out. Audio will pass through to my surround sound system, but no video. I have done the following troubleshooting steps:
  1. restarted AVR
  2. checked connections
  3. confirmed proper inputs are selected on AVR and projector
  4. bypassed the AVR and connected my source (Apple TV) directly to the projector to confirm there’s no issue with the source or the projector. I used the same HDMI cable that had been running out of the AVR monitor1 to do this.
  5. performed a factory reset on the AVR. I can’t tell if this actually happened because after I see “initialized” on the AVR’s screen, I’m instructed to use the TV to finish the setup. Since I can’t see anything on my TV I have to exit setup.
  6. tested the monitor2 out (no video passing through there either)
  7. attempted to get a proper HDMI handshake by turning on the receiver, and then the source, and then the projector
Because I can’t see any video output from the receiver I’m unable to access the setup/settings menu to confirm I have the correct output settings, input assign settings, etc. I would think after a factory reset the CBL/SAT and DVD inputs are defaulted to receive and pass-through HDMI video.

My 4k projector bricked out on me last month and I finally replaced it yesterday, only to find out my AVR no longer works… a cruel coincidence.

Any help is appreciated!

Peter

As a last resort, have you tried connecting it to another display as opposed to using the new PJ to test it with? If could be the cabling between the AVR and your PJ? Just because the cable worked previously isn't to say it would be okay with different components such as the new PJ. I'm assuming that the cable is long because you've a PJ. What type of cabling is being used between the AV receiver and the PJ? Afain, testing the cable with the sources directly will be no indication of it being able to work if used between the AV receiver and the PJ.

Most issues with not being able to get video in association with PJs do end up being due to the cabling.

If the cabling isn't an isuue, I'd suggest that you've a hardware fault onboard the AV receiver. You'd need to have an engineer look at it to ascertain exactly what has gone wrong. There's not really anything you can do in regards to settings etc. in order to rectify this yourself.

Last edited:
Hi all,
First time poster here. I spent all night troubleshooting an issue to no avail and I hope someone here can help.
My Denon AVR, which had been working flawlessly for years, has stopped outputting a video signal via the monitor1 out. Audio will pass through to my surround sound system, but no video. I have done the following troubleshooting steps:
  1. restarted AVR
  2. checked connections
  3. confirmed proper inputs are selected on AVR and projector
  4. bypassed the AVR and connected my source (Apple TV) directly to the projector to confirm there’s no issue with the source or the projector. I used the same HDMI cable that had been running out of the AVR monitor1 to do this.
  5. performed a factory reset on the AVR. I can’t tell if this actually happened because after I see “initialized” on the AVR’s screen, I’m instructed to use the TV to finish the setup. Since I can’t see anything on my TV I have to exit setup.
  6. tested the monitor2 out (no video passing through there either)
  7. attempted to get a proper HDMI handshake by turning on the receiver, and then the source, and then the projector
Because I can’t see any video output from the receiver I’m unable to access the setup/settings menu to confirm I have the correct output settings, input assign settings, etc. I would think after a factory reset the CBL/SAT and DVD inputs are defaulted to receive and pass-through HDMI video.

My 4k projector bricked out on me last month and I finally replaced it yesterday, only to find out my AVR no longer works… a cruel coincidence.

Any help is appreciated!

Peter
1. If you haven't already done so, power off everything connected to the AVR at the wall plug, wait 10 minutes and then power back on again.

2. Try running HDMI diagnostics on your X6500H http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/theme/accessories4less/images/manuals/Denon/denonhdmi.pdf
If it fails you may get an error code which could help to narrow down the problem area. There is also an option to test your cables.

Last edited:
1. If you haven't already done so, power off everything connected to the AVR at the wall plug, wait 10 minutes and then power back on again.

2. Try running HDMI diagnostics on your X6500H http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/theme/accessories4less/images/manuals/Denon/denonhdmi.pdf
If it fails you may get an error code which could help to narrow down the problem area. There is also an option to test your cables.
Thanks for the tip about HDMI diagnostics. I'm surprised I didn't come across that document on Denon's support pages or elsewhere. I ran the tests and error code V1-01 appeared, and I failed the cable test after trying 3 different cables.

I got to the point in the flow chart where it asks if my AV settings are correct (per Note 2), but I'm not sure I can check this without being able to access the setup menu on a monitor, so I guess I'm stuck with reaching out to customer service. I just submitted a ticket with Denon.

It sounds like I probably have a hardware issue? I'm hoping this isn't another example of a repair being too expensive to justify. Been dealing with a lot of those lately!

Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the tip about HDMI diagnostics. I'm surprised I didn't come across that document on Denon's support pages or elsewhere. I ran the tests and error code V1-01 appeared, and I failed the cable test after trying 3 different cables.

I got to the point in the flow chart where it asks if my AV settings are correct (per Note 2), but I'm not sure I can check this without being able to access the setup menu on a monitor, so I guess I'm stuck with reaching out to customer service. I just submitted a ticket with Denon.

It sounds like I probably have a hardware issue? I'm hoping this isn't another example of a repair being too expensive to justify. Been dealing with a lot of those lately!

Appreciate the help.
The first step in the hdmi diagnostics should do a self test of the hdmi hardware and only if that passes let you proceed with the other tests. As you got to do a cable test it implies the HDMI ports are OK. However as three different (known good?) cables failed it may be the main monitor port/board is faulty and the self test isn't detecting it..

Have you tried any display except your PJ? You can use the AVR display itself to check HDMI and Output settings. If they are not showing anything obvious, I think you really need to get it connected to a known working TV or PC monitor so you can see and check the AV output settings. If they also fail to display a picture I'm guessing a repair may be needed.

Last edited:
I did, and as I mentioned after doing so I was prompted on the screen to use the TV to finish the setup, so I'm not 100% confident the factory reset occurred

I did, and as I mentioned after doing so I was prompted on the screen to use the TV to finish the setup, so I'm not 100% confident the factory reset occurred
Does your X6500 have a Zone 2 HDMI output port? If so, have you tried that to see if it is working?

Unfortunately failing HDMI boards are not unknown on Denon and they are not cheap to repair/replace if out of warranty. I've seen mention of X4400H HDMI board replacement costing $500 in 2020. I need a new HDMI Board for a Denon AVRX4400H

yeah out of desperation I tried the Zone2 and Monitor2 HDMI outputs... no luck

I have a more budget 5-channel Sony AVR that I just wired up today in place of the Denon. Do people sell non-functioning high-end gear on this site? I have now have both this and my Sony VW365ES 4K projector non-functioning and on the sidelines - I'd love to give them to someone with the ability to salvage them.

yeah out of desperation I tried the Zone2 and Monitor2 HDMI outputs... no luck

I have a more budget 5-channel Sony AVR that I just wired up today in place of the Denon. Do people sell non-functioning high-end gear on this site? I have now have both this and my Sony VW365ES 4K projector non-functioning and on the sidelines - I'd love to give them to someone with the ability to salvage them.
Oh well. I guess it's just down to what Denon support has to say .

Yes there are classified forums and I suppose as long as it's made clear the items are non functional they could be sold Home Cinema & Hi-Fi Classifieds

Again, jave you tried different cabling?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom