Denon AVR-x6500 vs Denon AVR 6700 which would you buy?

flegg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there
Im looking at the 6500 v the 6700.I have a 7.1.4 configuration and wont be going beyond that.Correct me if I am wrong but the dtx pro is only useful if you go beyond 7.2.4 so realistically i dont need that.
The 8k I dont need as my TV is 4k and dont see a reason to upgrade .The new playstation 5 will play 4k at 120fs which is perfect.
Is there any other differences that i am missing that would make 6700 worth getting?Is there technology in the 6700 that i would be kicking my self in 4 years time for not getting.
I am looking to purchase in the next few months has anybody seen deals on the Denon 6500 in the uk .I have seen £1399 is that the best it will get or can it go lower?
Thank you in advance
Flegg

Hi there
Im looking at the 6500 v the 6700.I have a 7.1.4 configuration and wont be going beyond that.Correct me if I am wrong but the dtx pro is only useful if you go beyond 7.2.4 so realistically i dont need that.
The 8k I dont need as my TV is 4k and dont see a reason to upgrade .The new playstation 5 will play 4k at 120fs which is perfect.
Is there any other differences that i am missing that would make 6700 worth getting?Is there technology in the 6700 that i would be kicking my self in 4 years time for not getting.
HDR10+ passthrough, 2 sets of stored speaker/audyssey configurations, and processor mode seems the main other things. Nice to have, but not really worth the extra £900.
I am looking to purchase in the next few months has anybody seen deals on the Denon 6500 in the uk .I have seen £1399 is that the best it will get or can it go lower?
Sevenoaks has some open box ones at £1349 but apart from that £1399 is the lowest I've seen.
Denon AVC-X6500H (Black) AV Amplifier
You might get one cheaper by a bit of haggling.

Points about what's new on the 6700 has been covered. I bought a 6500 about two months ago. It is a very good unit. Audio wise I can't see the 6700 being any better than it. HDR10+ passthrough would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. I'll happily keep the 6500 for the five years of it's warranty period.

Hi there
Thank you in advance
Flegg
Exactly the same question I had to the letter!!!
I think I'll go X6500 as for the price, I guess the X6700 will similar money to the X6500 in a handful of years for when 8k is actually more of a thing and you may still get a bit for the X6500 selling it 2nd hand or PX.

Hi there
Thank you in advance
Flegg

Hi,

If you like a clear, open, defined sound with music and movies I would buy/demo another brand. I own a Denon x6500 and I'm not impressed with the audio quality even after running eq for a second time. I have a feeling the x4500 might be more clear in the midrange and treble range and a less warm thickened/closed-in sound.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you like a clear, open, defined sound with music and movies I would buy/demo another brand. I own a Denon x6500 and I'm not impressed with the audio quality even after running eq for a second time. I have a feeling the x4500 might be more clear in the midrange and treble range and a less warm thickened/closed-in sound.
Have you run EQ via the App or just via the Amp?

Have you run EQ via the App or just via the Amp?
No. I am using EQ in flat mode though. It's still not clear enough or open enough. It doesn't come close to my previous Onkyo which [when new] was half the price of this Denon at rrp.

For me I want HDR10+ for simplicity of cabling, Processor mode (so I can get somewhere near processor performance without the extra cost of a processor), I also would like the 13 channels of processing as that may prove useful / interesting later, although I don't need the power amps.

I know the older ranges get discounted quick and so the x6500 is at a very attractive price, but for my needs it's just lacking a few features I'd like, so HDR10+, Processor Mode and 13 channels of processing etc.

Whilst the x6700 is still largely un-discounted except some normal haggling, in my mind if I bought one now I'd expect it would loose quite some value if I changed it in 12-18 months which puts me off. With that in mind, to throw another option into the mix, how about the x6700 vs x8500 as current prices are roughly the same?

Would the x8500 have virtually all the benefits of an x6700 at a similar price, but because it's already discounted would it hold a stronger value 12-18 months down the line? Also does it lack anything the x6700 will have?

No. I am using EQ in flat mode though. It's still not clear enough or open enough. It doesn't come close to my previous Onkyo which [when new] was half the price of this Denon at rrp.
No to which question App or Amp? I have for along time hated Audyssey and the results I got from it and much preferred results from Dirac, however I was pleasantly surprised by the results I got when I ran the calibration using my iPad app, much much better.

No to which question App or Amp? I have for along time hated Audyssey and the results I got from it and much preferred results from Dirac, however I was pleasantly surprised by the results I got when I ran the calibration using my iPad app, much much better.
Sorry, no to app. :). I will look into the app but I feel at this price I shoudn't have to tinker with it to make it sound clear and detailed.

£20 in the context is nothing, try Dirac and having to buy £100 microphone to get the best out of it. I think it was one of the best £20's I've spent I can tell the wife about...

Sorry, no to app. :). I will look into the app but I feel at this price I shoudn't have to tinker with it to make it sound clear and detailed.
Did you do as I suggested and use the graphic equaliser to try and make it brighter? If that didn't work it's unlikely a Denon or Marantz is for you as you seem to prefer the Onkyo sound.

Simply turn Audyssey off entirely in order to determine whether or not the signature sound of the receiver is to your liking. THis rules the room EQ correction being the cause of any audio displeasure.

Note that room EQ correction doesn;t improve the audio performance and is simply there to address anamalies with the room's acoustics. This is additional processing that you are imposing upon the signal. The best setup would be one where the room itself is treated in order to address issues as opposed to a setup that employs additional processing to address the issues. There's also the fact that Audyssey room EQ correction requires HD formats with higher than 48kHz sample rates to be downmixed. This doesn't really effect film soundtracks, but could influence some of the HD music formats? Audyssey excuse this by suggesting the humans auditory system is unable to benefit from anything more than a 48kHz sample rate which is tenhically correct apart from that they fail to account for the headroom that higher sample rates awards the audio when imposing additional processing to it. Most if not all other room EQ correction systems allow for a higher sample frequency that that allowed for by Audyssey.

Simply turn Audyssey off entirely in order to determine whether or not the signature sound of the receiver is to your liking. THis rules the room EQ correction being the cause of any audio displeasure.

Note that room EQ correction doesn;t improve the audio performance and is simply there to address anamalies with the room's acoustics. This is additional processing that you are imposing upon the signal. The best setup would be one where the room itself is treated in order to address issues as opposed to a setup that employs additional processing to address the issues. There's also the fact that Audyssey room EQ correction requires HD formats with higher than 48kHz sample rates to be downmixed. This doesn't really effect film soundtracks, but could influence some of the HD music formats? Audyssey excuse this by suggesting the humans auditory system is unable to benefit from anything more than a 48kHz sample rate which is tenhically correct apart from that they fail to account for the headroom that higher sample rates awards the audio when imposing additional processing to it. Most if not all other room EQ correction systems allow for a higher sample frequency that that allowed for by Audyssey.
I did turn off the eq and it sounded much worse. My old onkyo with the bog standard XT eq system in THX mode was much better for clarity, detail and was open and dynamic with hard hitting bass without the swampy thick muddled closed-in sound of the Denon. Its too safe sounding. I have no idea what to buy if I return the Denon. I just wanted a fairly transparent sounding amp with tight defined bass and an open sound. Have you had any experience with the new onkyo or pioneer range? Is the EQ system any good on these?

Audyssey XT32 is regarded as being superior to the inhouse designed EQ systems on both the new Pioneers and Onkyos. What worries me those makes, which are virtually one company, same as the relationship between Denon and Marantz, is their ability to fully keep their equipment up to date with firmware. I've been waiting almost eighteen months now for the HDR10+ update to my Pioneer LX500, still no sign of it which was promised for Spring 2019.

There is also a problem, Covid effected and beyond Pioneers control, with the supply of their high end kit. I will say something for Pioneer and that is the high end kit is built like a tank and hernia enducing.

The 6500 sound so much better once set up with mic was 100 times better. I am wondering if I should get the app now

£20 is very cheap for the extras it can do I would not hesitate, I can’t usually do Audyssey but I can with the app..

How hard is it to use don’t want to make it worse than it was before

Anyone local to Surrey fancy helping me set this up :)

It’s very easy to use. You don’t have to use all the fancy tweaked straight away.

For me I want HDR10+ for simplicity of cabling, Processor mode (so I can get somewhere near processor performance without the extra cost of a processor), I also would like the 13 channels of processing as that may prove useful / interesting later, although I don't need the power amps.

I know the older ranges get discounted quick and so the x6500 is at a very attractive price, but for my needs it's just lacking a few features I'd like, so HDR10+, Processor Mode and 13 channels of processing etc.

Whilst the x6700 is still largely un-discounted except some normal haggling, in my mind if I bought one now I'd expect it would loose quite some value if I changed it in 12-18 months which puts me off. With that in mind, to throw another option into the mix, how about the x6700 vs x8500 as current prices are roughly the same?

Would the x8500 have virtually all the benefits of an x6700 at a similar price, but because it's already discounted would it hold a stronger value 12-18 months down the line? Also does it lack anything the x6700 will have?
Very good question!

For the last 2 years I had been running a 6400 in 7: 1 : 4 and in May decided to go for the 6500 BIG MISTAKE it sounded awful even using the EQ app. Sevenoaks were brilliant and picked it up and refunded. Then Denon announced the 6700 and I pre ordered, I picked it up 2 hrs after they got it on 11th July.
I set it and had it up and running using the app the next morning, the results are stunning, that said I have done further tweaking.
Further to this in the States Denon have admitted that early units of their AVR 6700H had a faulty condenser fitted and will get them sorted out, I wonder if this is the same for the European version and I will call Denon to try to find out.

For the last 2 years I had been running a 6400 in 7: 1 : 4 and in May decided to go for the 6500 BIG MISTAKE it sounded awful even using the EQ app. Sevenoaks were brilliant and picked it up and refunded. Then Denon announced the 6700 and I pre ordered, I picked it up 2 hrs after they got it on 11th July.
I set it and had it up and running using the app the next morning, the results are stunning, that said I have done further tweaking.
Further to this in the States Denon have admitted that early units of their AVR 6700H had a faulty condenser fitted and will get them sorted out, I wonder if this is the same for the European version and I will call Denon to try to find out.

I'm interested in the Denon 6700H - and wondered if the UK units were ok re the faulty condensers? Any other issues know with the 6700???

X6500 here. 11.1 surround, audessy EQ in reference mode, crossover at 80hz. Did the config with the mic through the amp. Best sound I've ever heard. So chalk one guy up for liking how audessy sounds.

Came here to find the differences between 6500 and 6700, but saw the debate so i threw my 2cents in.

6700 has all channel pre amp mode, so if you're using it as a AV pre with all channels powered by dedicated amps, you'll get a cleaner signal. This mode allows higher pre out voltage, lower noise and distortion and better sinad

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom