Question Denon AVR-X6400h or Denon AVR-X7200WA

scoobysmiff

Established Member
Reaction score
As title says please ladies and gents, I have the chance to get either the Denon AVR-X6400h or a Denon AVR-X7200WA at good money - albeit the 6400 is a little bit cheaper (180) so what would you choose and why.

I am erring towards the 6400 simply because it has the latest tech and is the most current etc but will I be missing out on anything if I don't opt for the 7200?

Is the 7200 future proof as i've just delved, late last year into 4K with my TV and blu ray which is why I need to upgrade my AV amp - I need 4k pass through and my Marantz 7009 will not do it.

Are they audibly comparative or is one better than the other? - I do plan on running a seperate power amp for my LCR later in the year so would this be an issue so long as the signal processing is good enough - is there a difference in signal processing for these two?

Tia and grateful for any help

The only real advantage the X6400 has is that it includes 11 integral channels of amplification while the X7200WA has only 9 integral channels of amplification. The X7200 is more powerful and regarded by many to still be superior to the X6400 when it comes to comparative audio performance. The X7200 can still be used within a 11 channel setup, but will need 2 additional channels of external amplification. The X7200 is still compliant with all of the current incarnations of HDR and will passthrough the same video signals as the X6400. What it may not be able to do is passthrough any new implementations of video standards or HDR metadata that aren't as yet in use? You also get Auro 3D for free with the X6400 while this is only available via a paid update for the X7200.

If you are going to use a power amp for the front three speakers, you may be okay with a lesser model, how many speakers will you be using with it?

Also, the Denon 7200 is not compatible with the Audyssey app, whereas the the 6400 is. I use the app quite a lot with my Marantz SR7011, it is good if you like to tweak with the room correction and how it is applied.

I'm using a 7.1 set up at the moment but plan on making that 7.2.4 this year.

I will mostly use it for movies with limited music application but I am thinking 6400 purely because it will last longer before an upgrade is required. My 7009 is being changed out after 2 years for this reason only.
Would the sound be vastly different once I add the power amp, would I really notice any difference with films?

If you want to run a 7.1.4 set-up you are probably best to stick to the Denon 6400 or better, as even with a power amp running the front three speakers, you will still need the AVR to power the remaining eight, as well as do the processing for all 11.

I went from a Denon 6300 to a Marantz SR7011, and found the Marantz noticeably better for music, but as you say that you won't be using it much for music, that might be okay for you.

The difference a power amp will make does depend on your sepakers, room, source material, listening levels, etc.. For me, it makes a noticeable difference when using source material with a big dynamic range, such as HD audio, and cd's / FLAC music. The dynamic peaks, such as explosions, and shouting, car chases, thrashy guitars, all sound clearer and more detailed.

The only real advantage the X6400 has is that it includes 11 integral channels of amplification while the X7200WA has only 9 integral channels of amplification. The X7200 is more powerful and regarded by many to still be superior to the X6400 when it comes to comparative audio performance. The X7200 can still be used within a 11 channel setup, but will need 2 additional channels of external amplification. The X7200 is still compliant with all of the current incarnations of HDR and will passthrough the same video signals as the X6400. What it may not be able to do is passthrough any new implementations of video standards or HDR metadata that aren't as yet in use? You also get Auro 3D for free with the X6400 while this is only available via a paid update for the X7200.
I thought the 7200 was waiting on a Dolby Vision update which is a current HDR standard?

If you are going to use a power amp for the front three speakers, you may be okay with a lesser model, how many speakers will you be using with it?

Also, the Denon 7200 is not compatible with the Audyssey app, whereas the the 6400 is. I use the app quite a lot with my Marantz SR7011, it is good if you like to tweak with the room correction and how it is applied.
The 7200 isn't compatible with the Audyssey app, can you elaborate on that please?

The 7200 isn't compatible with the Audyssey app, can you elaborate on that please?

The audyssey app lets you change frequency curves, etc. Not sure how good it is though, admittedly it would be nice to try.

7200 no.

Would I swap a 6400 for my 7200?

No chance whatsoever.
Well you're obviously happy with the sound but how can a flagship AVR not be compatible with an app which would give you more flexibility? It puzzles me.

Because the Audyssey app is newer than the 7200.

I like the app, and use it to limit the room correction to just frequencies below 500hz on the front three speakers. It's obviously particular to my taste / room / speakers though.

Well you're obviously happy with the sound but how can a flagship AVR not be compatible with an app which would give you more flexibility? It puzzles me.

7200 is nearly 3 years old, hence why it’s not compatible, models x300 and above are.

The 7200 was still their flagship until the 8400 recently released.

Reading your posts, I’d imagine you wouldn’t use the app anyway, a lot of people (me included) can make things worse when trying to mess about with things that the likes of audyssey generally do very well.

Further reading your posts, if I was you I’d probably get either a 4400 or the 7200 if you want a better built, more powerful receiver, I believe the denons are better than the Yamaha’s.

Check out the following link High-End AV Receiver Group Test

Because the Audyssey app is newer than the 7200.

I like the app, and use it to limit the room correction to just frequencies below 500hz on the front three speakers. It's obviously particular to my taste / room / speakers though.
Right I get it and thank you.

Right I get it and thank you.
I have the 4400 and used the app to adjust the Audyssey settings to produce a curve similar to that of the Harmon curve for Dirac, and to also remove the BBC dip - sounds way better than any Audyssey auto calibration I've heard in the past.

7200 is nearly 3 years old, hence why it’s not compatible, models x300 and above are.

The 7200 was still their flagship until the 8400 recently released.

Reading your posts, I’d imagine you wouldn’t use the app anyway, a lot of people (me included) can make things worse when trying to mess about with things that the likes of audyssey generally do very well.

Further reading your posts, if I was you I’d probably get either a 4400 or the 7200 if you want a better built, more powerful receiver, I believe the denons are better than the Yamaha’s.

Check out the following link High-End AV Receiver Group Test
As you say it's almost 3 years old and it's still regarded by many to be an excellent AVR, I'm just trying to be as sure as possible because it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to demo it because they're becoming scarce. I'm told that I could return it within 14 days if not happy but I doubt that will happen, you sure you don't work for Denon, only kidding, thanks for your help.

I have the 4400 and used the app to adjust the Audyssey settings to produce a curve similar to that of the Harmon curve for Dirac, and to also remove the BBC dip - sounds way better than any Audyssey auto calibration I've heard in the past.
I'll take your word for that, somehow I think I'll be better off without the app, lol.
I'm still considering the 4400, thanks.

As you say it's almost 3 years old and it's still regarded by many to be an excellent AVR, I'm just trying to be as sure as possible because it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to demo it because they're becoming scarce. I'm told that I could return it within 14 days if not happy but I doubt that will happen, you sure you don't work for Denon, only kidding, thanks for your help.

Feel free to come and demo my room.

You’ll buy one on the spot.....

Feel free to come and demo my room.

You’ll buy one on the spot.....
That's very kind of you, I'm still reading about your build and it's very impressive. I've just googled where you are, it's a bit of a drive, I'll give it some thought, thanks.

I'm in the same boat. My setup is only 5.1 and I have a great power amp, Rotel RMB-1095 200x5 watts. Still leaning towards the 7200 since audio quality is paramount and I'm coming from a Mcintosh MX-119 pre/pro.

bob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom