Denon AVR-X6300H Discussion Thread

I sent an email to an online retailer enquiring about a stock check and I also asked to make sure I wouldn't get a model with a faulty motherboard. They wrote back confirming they had stock and "I am confident you will have no issues with the motherboard". Does that response sound like they've actually bothered to check the issue/understand or as I read it are they drone-like chancing it. As it stands they've just lost a customer (or am I being too harsh in expecting a direct answer and particularly considering the cost of the item) Or maybe I'm just negative today!!

I think it just an indication that they are unaware of there actually being an issue with the receiver. If there is an issue then you can return it and should get a full refund. In fact if buying online then you can return goods even if there's no fault with them and get a full refund.

I think it just an indication that they are unaware of there actually being an issue with the receiver. If there is an issue then you can return it and should get a full refund. In fact if buying online then you can return goods even if there's no fault with them and get a full refund.
Thanks for the quick reply. Actually they are a vendor mentioned a couple of times in this thread as dealing with people with buzzy amps so they should know - that was part of the reason for going to them. Yeah I know I can return it but its the *hassle*. I'd much rather get something right first time.

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually they are a vendor mentioned a couple of times in this thread as dealing with people with buzzy amps so they should know - that was part of the reason for going to them. Yeah I know I can return it but its the *hassle*. I'd much rather get something right first time.
Call them directly. Sounds like you are looking for more from an email than you got and a phone call directly to them should get you that. I've been in retail sales my whole adult life in floor and internet sales as well. Sometimes the person sending the email doesn't know it wasn't worded the way the recipient needed it to be. It happens. No biggie . Just pick up the phone and I'm sure you'll get the reinforcement you're looking for.

Well after 16 years with my current amp it was time to upgrade. My new amp was delivered two weeks ago, I came home this week and last night I plugged it in! It took a while to setup, but wow very detailed and sound stage is great! I think this has more to do with the amps rather than the DAC's as my players DAC's were very good anyway.

I haven't had much of a play yet, but spun Oblivion Blu-ray and the loved the soundtrack. Dialogue sounds very crisp and more detailed than before and the steering of effects is very good. One thing, this amp runs insanely hot even without driving the speakers much...you could fry an egg on it! I can't see that heat being very good for component longevity. As a consequence I turned on ECO mode and that has reduce the heat significantly. I'll monitor if I hear any change in SQ. Tried music for all of 30 seconds from my NAS and that sounded slightly harsh and bright, but TBH i haven't had a chance to tune any EQ or try different sources. I was quite impressed and embarrassed that the Auto-setup found that my Front Left Speaker was cabled up out of phase!

I was a little disappointed in the plastic input and volume knobs, but got over it quickly. Love the onscreen menus and information. I've notice that the volume bar needs to be at two thirds of the way up for a decent volume. My old amp it never went above a quarter and had ample left. Also whacked the volume up to +10db or so and I don't get the whine which is a result. TBH I don't really want to go out of my way to find it.

My wife noticed a large improvement and subsequently said, so when are you gonna get a 4K tv then... I've got a good one ;)

So out with the old:
IMAG3423.jpg

and in with the new:

IMAG3427.jpg

IMAG3429.jpg

Last edited:
Well after 16 years with my current amp it was time to upgrade. My new amp was delivered two weeks ago, I came home this week and last night I plugged it in! It took a while to setup, but wow very detailed and sound stage is great! I think this has more to do with the amps rather than the DAC's as my players DAC's were very good anyway.

I haven't had much of a play yet, but spun Oblivion Blu-ray and the loved the soundtrack. Dialogue sounds very crisp and more detailed than before and the steering of effects is very good. One thing, this amp runs insanely hot even without driving the speakers much...you could fry an egg on it! I can't see that heat being very good for component longevity. As a consequence I turned on ECO mode and that has reduce the heat significantly. I'll monitor if I hear any change in SQ. Tried music for all of 30 seconds from my NAS and that sounded slightly harsh and bright, but TBH i haven't had a chance to tune any EQ or try different sources. I was quite impressed and embarrassed that the Auto-setup found that my Front Left Speaker was cabled up out of phase!

I was a little disappointed in the plastic input and volume knobs, but got over it quickly. Love the onscreen menus and information. I've notice that the volume bar needs to be at two thirds of the way up for a decent volume. My old amp it never went above a quarter and had ample left. Also whacked the volume up to +10db or so and I don't get the whine which is a result. TBH I don't really want to go out of my wait to find it.

My wife noticed a large improvement and subsequently said, so when are you gonna get a 4K tv then... I've got a good one ;)

So out with the old:
View attachment 887765

and in with the new:

View attachment 887766

View attachment 887768
They certainly do get toasty, I run my 6200 on auto. No problems with the heat causing shut downs. Surprised you find it bright with music, give it a few more hours. I find it excellent with CDs in stereo and really outstanding with DVD based live concerts in SD or HD sound, there again I've always been used to Denons and KEF combo.

I had four ceiling speakers installed, and after trying out the DTS:X demos, I now have the buzz. [emoji45]

Oh no.. when did you buy the unit? Does your S/N conform to that previously discussed?

I have just a 5.1 setup at the moment but intended to put ceiling speakers in at some point.

Gibbsy, when listening to 2ch music in direct mode it sounds much better! I think the Xt calibration sets my speakers rather bright. Rather impressed with the media player playing the BBC HLS 320kbps radio streams. Maybe my Sonos connect might be redundant.. now need to hunt for a 12v triggered power switcher for my sub. My old Sony had a switched mains outlet built in.

Just over a month ago. I am going to do some more testing because it stopped doing the buzzing after I listened to some Atmos samples, so it might just be something that is happening for me after using DTS:X. I don’t mind if I have to contact Denon though and wait for a repair. The serial starts with 8.

I am gutted. I bought one of these last week From Peter Tyson as an upgrade to my avr-3200w and that it was finally time to fit in ceiling speakers for full 7.2.4 action.

Not installed yet, but sitting in the lounge unboxed and de-stickered, was going to install tomorrow. Decided to have a look on here and now don't think I want to waste my time as my serial number is 6101501003, below the supposed magical fix implementation.

While I don't have the ceiling speakers yet to to a full test, am am really loathed to wire this in only to find that it starts to bugger up on me at some point as it is in an awkward place, I thought their price really was too good to be true..... :(

I am gutted. I bought one of these last week From Peter Tyson as an upgrade to my avr-3200w and that it was finally time to fit in ceiling speakers for full 7.2.4 action.

Not installed yet, but sitting in the lounge unboxed and de-stickered, was going to install tomorrow. Decided to have a look on here and now don't think I want to waste my time as my serial number is 6101501003, below the supposed magical fix implementation.

While I don't have the ceiling speakers yet to to a full test, am am really loathed to wire this in only to find that it starts to bugger up on me at some point as it is in an awkward place, I thought their price really was too good to be true..... :(
You won't know until you connect if indeed you do have an iffy unit. Although you could return under the distance selling regulations within, I think, 30 days you must inform PT immediately and the unit must be returned in it's original packaging. Even so if you connect and all is well then no problem. If a problem of any kind arises then Peter Tyson are excellent to deal with, I doubt you would be without a working unit for more than 48 hours.

As Gibbsy said, it's a case of plug it in and see if you have the problem. Peter Tyson know about the whining on both the 6300 and 7200 so if you do have the problem they will swap it or refund. If you do have the problem, speak to Nigel at Peter Tyson as he dealt with my two 7200's and he knows the issue exists on both models. Also, both of the Denon service centres in the UK are now fully aware of the issue.

The 6300 is able to be fixed but the 7200, as far as I am aware, still has no fix for this.

Your only other options would be to go for one of the newer Denon models and hope they don't have this same problem or choose another brand of AVR as a few of us here have now done.

Curses :( Had my 6300 for just over a week, not noticed any buzzing until tonight.

Are the Denon UK service centres able to fix this now? Anyone actually got a repaired one back, in the UK, that doesn't buzz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the repair centres are replacing the faulty board so you will be able to get it fixed.

HB

Thank you for the replies. Just to confirm, can/will this issue be able to manifest on just my current 7.2 setup, without using audessey enhancements (all I do is set speaker distances and just let DD/DTS/Atmos do their thing)? Fitting and removing the receiver really is that much of a flaff as it is sunk in to a bricked up false wall with a mega heavy Mahogany cover on it with other kit on top of that. Will I have to get the additional 4 ceiling speakers purchased and installed first? Sorry for going on.....

Thank you for the replies. Just to confirm, can/will this issue be able to manifest on just my current 7.2 setup, without using audessey enhancements (all I do is set speaker distances and just let DD/DTS/Atmos do their thing)? Fitting and removing the receiver really is that much of a flaff as it is sunk in to a bricked up false wall with a mega heavy Mahogany cover on it with other kit on top of that. Will I have to get the additional 4 ceiling speakers purchased and installed first? Sorry for going on.....

Pretty sure you don't need to have the ceiling speakers to have the whining. Having Audyssey turned off makes the whining much quieter and less obvious, you have to turn the volume up a lot to hear it but it is still there. Turn Audyssey to reference setting and it seems to massively enhance the whining and can be heard at much lower volume levels.

Could you not maybe set it up temporarily on a table in front of your false wall just to test it, assuming you have enough length on your cables to do so?

Also, having your gear inside an enclosed space as you appear to be describing, you ought to think about heat dissipation and build up. It is not advised or good practice and the Denons kick out a lot of heat! Don't want to tell Grandad how to suck eggs here so if I am then apologies. Just thought I would give you an FYI/cautionary advisory.

Last edited:
Great info thanks. Regarding the false wall thing, it is an odd one and I was initially concerned, but it has a bit of space inside and is next to a cold wall.
I have had the 3200 running in there for two years I think now without issue and we have a 6x7m lounge in a detached bungalow, so I do get to crank the volume, so far without issue at least. Ignore the dodgy looking walls etc, moved in, got the kit up and running, decided to fix up the rest of the house first before totally redoing the Lounge.

That line of brick about the amp is only single width and doesn't sit about the vents. Currently, the heat just dissipates throughout the hollow area under that chunk of Mahogany, including the bit under the TV. If you genuinely think that is still a concern I would value the opinion, as I have so far held off venting the Mahogany itself as have not had any issues so far at least.

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_112254.jpg
    IMG_20170807_112254.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
You might be fine with it and have no need to worry. Emphasis on might. Most gear needs an approximate 10cm gap to open air all around, it generally states in the user manual. Since yours vents to the inside of the brick box it may be enough for it to cool sufficiently. If you don't have any problems with the AVR or any other gear shutting down into protection mode then you're likely OK.

Even if your gear doesn't get hot enough to cause shutdown, it is always advisable to keep it as cool as possible because over time heat will shorten the life of components. It may take years to cause any issues or you may get away with it entirely and be upgrading before you see any problems.

It's even worse these days because of the lead free solder that is used, it tends to fracture and you get hairline cracks and intermittent bad contact etc. Obviously the heating up and cooling down causes expansion and contraction and lead free solder doesn't handle that as well as lead solder. It helps if manufacturers use silver solder instead but very few do when it comes to mass production gear, you normally get that in military grade, hand wired and boutique level kit.

I don't know how much heat the 3200 kicks out Vs the 6300 or 7200 but I know my two 7200s were barbecue racks even in eco mode. Turning on eco mode did reduce the heat and didn't affect the sound negatively so at least you should do that to minimise heat as much as possible. I eventually ended up swapping to the Yamaha 3060 because of the whining on the Denons and the Yamaha is waaaaaayyyy cooler running than the Denon, even with eco mode turned off on the Yamaha.

Cheers, I have needed an excuse to do some proper venting in the Mahogany, as currently there are just various small notches cut out for the kit wired in above. I forgot to mention that directly to the left rear of the amp there is eight inch gap on the step down to the sub ledge where air can pass out.

I will cut out a big chunk under the PC, as that will give a nice large path for additional heat to rise through and will do more discreet venting under the TV part. Will keep an eye out regardless and yet, lead-free solder is a pain in the butt, I use silver solder wherever possible when modding stuff.

That 8 inch gap may well be enough for the heat to escape but if you're looking for an excuse to do some hacking and bashing then feel free to blame me. Mind those fingers though :D

Well that did not go well. Denon UK are denying that the buzzing is an issue with UK AVR's, only the US. They said that I could send it in, via my retailer, for them to look at and they'll see if they can replicate it.

I don't fancy playing that game. I'm going for a refund and will try a Marantz SR7011 next. Maybe with some additional power for front left and rights, if I think I need it.

Cambridge CXR 200 / Denon 6300 / Marantz SR7011. Third time lucky? :rolleyes:

Denon UK are quite frankly liars, they have even added the service notes to the reference system that the service centres look at when they are investigating/diagnosing or trying to solve faults. I know this because the service centre engineer told me that it is now on there. The thing is it depends who you speak to and in which department of Denon as to whether the individual knows or admits to this issue. Certainly their QA department in Germany is aware of it as Peter Tyson spoke to them about my two 7200's and they said they are aware of it but on the 7200 they didn't yet know how to fix it and it would be as long as three months or more before they would be able to get a fix in place. I wasn't willing to wait that long and that's when I moved to the Yamaha 3060. I'd already had a gut full of Denon and their bullshit by then and thought, to hell with Denon or Marantz, they are both the same company and after the experience I'd had, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Yah, it was disappointing. I called and emailed Denon and spoke to two separate retailers. They all seemed to go into immediate denial mode, and said they may be aware of one or two isolated incidents, but definitely not a widespread issue, and certainly not in the UK.

To be fair, Denon did give me a reference number and said that I could send it into to them, via my retailer, for them to 'look at'. Maybe that was code for 'have the DAC board replaced' but I might have ended up getting it back, not fixed, and be caught in a perpetual loop of hassle.

I really liked the 6300, it sounded great and everything seemed to work properly, apart from the buzz. The Marantz SR7011 is £300 cheaper, and as far as I can make out, seems to be the same as the 6300 with slightly less power, and slightly better internal components. So, I think I have done the right thing o_O

Buy a Crown XLS 1502 power amp 2x 300 watts and your back in the game.

Buy a Crown XLS 1502 power amp 2x 300 watts and your back in the game.
Thanks. Funnily enough, I do have a Behringer A500 that I am using via a speaker switch with my cd player attached to it. I could integrate it into the AVR, but I tend to get noise when I do that. However, as I have some savings by switching AVR's, I could change it for a different amp, and use that to add some more headroom if I need to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom