Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Will do.. Not going to be connecting them up for a while as still busy with the cinema room but I'm sure I will have a little play to make sure it all works 😜

Once installed I will get somebody in the know commissioned to do the sound calibration for me. Sure I will be able to give you decent feedback then.

I would just run the room optimiser when you have your speakers in. It’ll sound fantastic no doubt. I moved into a new house beginning of this year and had in wall speakers built and it’s the best thing I ever did. Enjoy my friend.

Hi everyone - With HDMI set to enhanced this can deliver 4k@60fps - does that mean it should also be fine with 1080p@120fps? Thanks

Hello.

I plan to hook up some 4 ohm Emotiva speakers and want to ensure that the X4500H can safely and properly push them at or near reference levels without an external amp. Fortunately, they are fairly sensitive speakers, so I'm thinking I'll be fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup and could offer their thoughts.

C2+ center, 92 dB sensitivity
T2+ towers, 91 dB sensitivity

I also have 2 Polk FXi A4 surrounds and 2 Hsu VT3-MK5 subs. The subs will be in the mix nearly all of the time, so they will take some strain off of the AVR.

MLP is roughly 8' from the fronts, medium sized room. I'm trying to avoid constantly second guessing whether I should have springed for an external amp. Usage is 65% HT, 35% music.

Thanks!

I run a full set of Monolith THX 365/265 speakers with built in Atmos up firing speakers so 5.1.4 using all 9 channels of the X4500, the speakers are 89.5 db mains & surrounds 86db sensitivity and are rated at 4 Ohm.

I sit at around 12ft from LCR and with the X4500 at -2/3db they are plenty loud enough.I usually listen at around -10db to blurays etc and -20db for general tv stuff this room is my main living room in the house and is used 10hrs a day most days.

As you are closer (8ft) and your speakers are even more efficient I would say a PA is not required unless you are wanting to listen at reference or close to ref (say -2/-5db) for extended periods most days. You could add a PA if you find your speakers starting to harden up at near ref, a PA should take away any harshness.

The only other consideration is room size if your room is enormous a pa would probably be needed. The room I have my kit in is 26ft x 16ft so fairly large by UK standards but you are in the US so your room could be much bigger.

For ref my main HC room is much smaller(14ft x 12ft) and I have a different setup in there as per my signature below. I use a PA with that rig because I like to listen at around -3db/5db max but like to really feel like the room is rocking and the 2 x 15" subs + a PA on the main 5 channels (LCR & surrounds) does that easily without breaking into a sweat.

So in short if you want to listen at ref/close to ref most of the time and your room is large and you can afford it spring for a PA.

These get good reviews and are cheap for what they are they do 5 and 7 channel versions. A 5 would do you for your LCR + main surrounds and use the Denon for all the other minor channels.

The room would not be large (19 x 11) if not for an opening on one side. I've attached an old sketch to give a rough idea of what I'm working with. This setup wouldn't often be played at or near reference, most of the time it will be at reasonable volume levels. However, I will on occasion sit down for a nice long session with the volume pushed just shy of the point silliness, so for those times I would want to be reasonably confident that I'm not leaving any performance on the table by powering everything but the subs through the AVR.

Thanks so much, appreciated your response!

Attachments

• Basement.jpg
    Basement.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 68
I think you will be fine with the X4500 on it's own then.

If running high volumes for extended periods of time though make sure you have plenty of space for ventilation round the avr. I have mine in a tv display bench and run with a pair of these usb fans sat on top which keep it nice and cool they do a great job are quiet and cheap.

Amazon product ASIN B00JLV4BWC

Sounds good, thanks.

How reliable is Denon's "energy use" bar that pops up along with volume adjustments and when hitting the Info button? If it's reasonably accurate I'm thinking I could run some demanding content at reference levels to see how close I am to maxing out the AVR's power supply. If it appears that I still have plenty of headroom, I'd call it done.

You could try , never used it myself so don't know if it's accurate or not.

By the way don't switch the rating of the Denon to 4 Ohms for the speakers leave it at 8 Ohms as you won't get the full output of the amp.

Audio keeps dropping out on my Denon. Just a split second, randomly, every few minutes. Does the same on Sky as it does on the TV audio, so doesn’t seem to be input related. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Here’s a video of it happening at 9 seconds in.

The speaker display on the receiver flashes off at the same time.

Last edited:
Does the app actually work for anyone? It’s terrible for me. Doesn’t even recognise the receiver half the time

Hi everyone - With HDMI set to enhanced this can deliver 4k@60fps - does that mean it should also be fine with 1080p@120fps? Thanks
Anyone??

Audio keeps dropping out on my Denon. Just a split second, randomly, every few minutes. Does the same on Sky as it does on the TV audio, so doesn’t seem to be input related. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Here’s a video of it happening at 9 seconds in.

The speaker display on the receiver flashes off at the same time.

I get something similar but different.....on Sky Sports if watching football in 4k with Dolby Atmos, occasionally but regularly it loses Atmos and reverts to DD with DS but also loses sound at the same time. Might be an internet related issue but really shouldn't be with 500MB VM BB router plugged in via ethernet

Does the app actually work for anyone? It’s terrible for me. Doesn’t even recognise the receiver half the time
I was going to buy it but now thinking it may not be worth it. Any one else have any issues or positives to talk about? It's £20 but I'd still expect it to work!

I was going to buy it but now thinking it may not be worth it. Any one else have any issues or positives to talk about? It's £20 but I'd still expect it to work!

I presume you are asking about the EQ app for running Audyssey. If so then it's working fine for me on iOS. I think it's worth the money for a number of reasons. You can run the calibration from outside the room. Once done you can copy your eq settings and then tweak them or create different once depending on your preference. It makes trying/switching possible.

I was just talking about the regular denon avr app. I’m not wasting my time with the audyssey app pretending I know what I should really be doing. Really audyssey should do the best job possible on the calibration it’s self because that’s what you’re paying for in my eyes but that’s a story for a different thread I suppose

I get something similar but different.....on Sky Sports if watching football in 4k with Dolby Atmos, occasionally but regularly it loses Atmos and reverts to DD with DS but also loses sound at the same time. Might be an internet related issue but really shouldn't be with 500MB VM BB router plugged in via ethernet

Does the same for me , I think it's a sky thing tbh as it's the only drop out i ever get is football on sky and Atmos 🤷‍♂️

I presume you are asking about the EQ app for running Audyssey. If so then it's working fine for me on iOS. I think it's worth the money for a number of reasons. You can run the calibration from outside the room. Once done you can copy your eq settings and then tweak them or create different once depending on your preference. It makes trying/switching possible.
I bought this ages ago but never got around to using it, I will give it ago today.
Can you tweak it so make the frequency responses better etc?

So I followed this video and set my MultEQ filter freq to 700Hz, it’s made a massive difference!!
Thanks for posting the video, for me it was definitely worth getting the £19.99 app!

I actually did the same thing yesterday after watching this video and getting rid of the midrange dip made a big difference and I set the filter to 500Hz. Is it better to set the filter at 500Hz or 700Hz?

I actually did the same thing yesterday after watching this video and getting rid of the midrange dip made a big difference and I set the filter to 500Hz. Is it better to set the filter at 500Hz or 700Hz?
I am not sure but the video mentioned using between 500 to 700Hz, I went with 700Hz. May try 500Hz at some point. :)

So I followed this video and set my MultEQ filter freq to 700Hz, it’s made a massive difference!!
Thanks for posting the video, for me it was definitely worth getting the £19.99 app!
No worries, I am glad it helped, made my system sound better too :).

I am not sure but the video mentioned using between 500 to 700Hz, I went with 700Hz. May try 500Hz at some point. :)
Well, you could copy your original auddessy settings in the app and have 2 presets one at 500 and one at 700 and see if you can hear the difference. You won't have to rerun auddessy then it's just a matter of sending it to your receiver via the app.

Well, you could copy your original auddessy settings in the app and have 2 presets one at 500 and one at 700 and see if you can hear the difference. You won't have to rerun auddessy then it's just a matter of sending it to your receiver via the app.

Do people generally cut off at 500? I’ve seen it mentioned ? Here is a picture of my fronts, I’d say 500 is about right as there’s no difference between there and 1K - am I right?

Attachments

• 9B4EA746-FD75-4BD6-8131-056E0A924991.jpeg
    9B4EA746-FD75-4BD6-8131-056E0A924991.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 58

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom