Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Hi folks prob not the place to post but I going to ask anyway

I am in the market for a new AVR as have sold the 2300W. The 4500H has been recommended as its a great price atm. I was thinking the 3700H to get the little bit of future proofing getting the latest model.

I currently own a Nvidia Shield Pro, PS4 Pro. Mainly streaming and games . I have pre-ordered the PS5 and this is where my brain gets muddled. I have bought a new CX LG Oled.
I am getting caught up on the specs of HDMI 2.1, VRR etc on the newer recievers

Is running eArc and taking advantage or the TV HDMI the best option and getting the 4500H over the 3700H.
My decision making is bad cause i research myself to the point of indecisiveness

Hi folks prob not the place to post but I going to ask anyway

I am in the market for a new AVR as have sold the 2300W. The 4500H has been recommended as its a great price atm. I was thinking the 3700H to get the little bit of future proofing getting the latest model.

I currently own a Nvidia Shield Pro, PS4 Pro. Mainly streaming and games . I have pre-ordered the PS5 and this is where my brain gets muddled. I have bought a new CX LG Oled.
I am getting caught up on the specs of HDMI 2.1, VRR etc on the newer recievers

Is running eArc and taking advantage or the TV HDMI the best option and getting the 4500H over the 3700H.
My decision making is bad cause i research myself to the point of indecisiveness
The 3700 will future proof you with gaming, especially the new PS5 as I believe it will work best with HDMI 2.1. If you are willing to forego 2.1 then the 4500 has audio advantages over the 3700 with more headroom, better components and AL32 processing which is lacking on the 3700. The 3700 benefits from Atmos Virtualisation and Imax Enhanced audio.

Both units are eARC capable and will work well with the TV as it gives a far more stable and uniform connection.

can get 4500 for 200 less than 3700 at the moment. If I used hdmi 2.1 on tv and just eArc to AVR would that be best ?
Better AVR and use eArc best of both or get the 3700 o_Oo_O

You are not disadvantaged if using the X4500 rather than the X3700. Simply do as you intended and connect the PS5 directly to your LG CX TV. The PS5 will output everything apart from 8K to said TV as well as the audio. The TV can happily convey anything the PS5 outputs in terms of audio to the X4500 via eARC.

The X4500 is a superior AV receiver and there's nothing to gain by buying the X3700 other than the ability to passthrough the HDMI version 2.1 video signal. You can access this video on your TV without having to pass it through the AV receiver.

The only other consideration would be an ability to passthrough HDR10+.The new Denon models have this ability, but the X4500 hasn't. Whether this would effect or realistically bother anyone is debatable?

Last edited:
good enough for me .. Better option then. Get the advantages of HDMi 2.1 and a better reciever doing it that way. Thank you

So the 4500H arrived today and I unboxed was earc added via FW as only has arc written on the hdmi output?
Paranoid now 😔😔

So the 4500H arrived today and I unboxed was earc added via FW as only has arc written on the hdmi output?
Paranoid now 😔😔
Don't worry it is eARC capable. My X6500 is exactly the same with just ARC printed below the HDMI port.

AVR-X4500H
AVR-X4500H

• 9x 200W AV Receiver; 11.2ch processing
  • Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, Auro-3D
  • 8 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume /EQ, LFC, Sub EQ HT
  • Voice control with Amazon Alexa, Siri (via AirPlay 2) and Google Assistant
  • AirPlay 2 / Bluetooth / Network Streaming, HEOS built-in
  • IMAX Enhanced (update), HDMI eARC, WEB UI (for setup)

Paranoid now 😔😔

Which models support eARC and what is required?
The eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) feature is available for the following Denon models:​
  • AVR-X3400H
    • AVR-X3500H
    • AVR-X4400H
    • AVR-X4500H
    • AVR-X6400H
    • AVC-X6500H
    • AVC-X8500H
To use this feature a HDMI cable with Ethernet (HEAC) will be required. Standard or high speed cables without Ethernet do not support eARC.​

The AVRX4500 shipped fully complianr and eARC enabled.

Thanks folks, was worried. Won't get to play with it for a few weeks now 😔😔

Anything I should look at in settings etc.?

Hopefully this is a fairly straightforward configuration question that someone has already cracked.

I have an AVR-X4500H that I have configured for 7.1 playback in the main zone and 2 channel playback in Zone 2 (Patio area). The challenge that I have is that I would like to be able to watch TV (say a football game) while listening to music from a different source (e.g. streaming from my phone). At the moment this does not appear to be feasible - I think the installers connected the Patio TV to the Zone 2 HDMI Out connection. As I understand it, under this configuration the receiver simply passes the HDMI signal obtained from one of the HDMI inputs to the Zone 2 output.

Is there a way to allow audio / video from different input sources to be routed to the Zone 2 outputs?

It seems that this ought to be something that such a sophisticated receiver is capable of however I can't figure out how to configure such a setup from the manual. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this is a fairly straightforward configuration question that someone has already cracked.

I have an AVR-X4500H that I have configured for 7.1 playback in the main zone and 2 channel playback in Zone 2 (Patio area). The challenge that I have is that I would like to be able to watch TV (say a football game) while listening to music from a different source (e.g. streaming from my phone). At the moment this does not appear to be feasible - I think the installers connected the Patio TV to the Zone 2 HDMI Out connection. As I understand it, under this configuration the receiver simply passes the HDMI signal obtained from one of the HDMI inputs to the Zone 2 output.

Is there a way to allow audio / video from different input sources to be routed to the Zone 2 outputs?

It seems that this ought to be something that such a sophisticated receiver is capable of however I can't figure out how to configure such a setup from the manual. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

This isn't possible via the second HDMI zone. You can select an HDMI video source to be displayed in the main room while listening to a dedicated audio source in that zone, but this feature isn't available to you in the second HDMI zone. The AV receiver plays no part in processing either the video or the audio signal in the second HDMI zone and it is simply passing that source through to theat zone.

If you want to exploit the ability in the main room then select and start playing your desired audio source in that zone (CD / Tuner / HEOS Music / Phono). Press the OPTION button on the remote to bring up the associated menu. Enter the VIDEO SELECT opyion and turn this feature on. You can now use the SOURCE option to select the video source you'd like to be displayed while you are using this audio source. You can store different video sources for each and every one of your audio sources.

You'd not be able to convey an audio source to a second HDMI zone anyway. Only HDMI sources can be output to the second HDMI zone.

All I can suggest is that you use the AV receiver's second audio zone as opposed to the second HDMI zone. This would allow you to convey any 2 channel audio source to the second zone for portrayal by an additional pair of speakers within that zone. You's still not be able to have a different source via the seconf HDMI zone as you'd have via the seconfaudio zone though. You'd have to source the video elsewhere annd not via the AV receiver.

Last edited:
AUG 12th = Sad day. Have had a great month using this AV receiver, even managed to upgrade living room set up to 7.2.4 using a Parasound V2 amp for rear heights. However yesterday no HDMI output from Monitor 1 ( ARC ) . Still had sound through AV and all relevant information indicators on display. Checked cable direct from sources and they were all good. Also found that Monitor 2 and Zone 2 outputting HDMI sources fine.

Also did other checks including that output was set to Auto and not just Monitor 2.

Looks like it's off to Denon for a repair as Peter Tyson have no more stock to do refund.

Wife has rolled her eyes a lot !!!

UPDATE

Eventually my 4500 has been returned from Sontec Electronics who did the warranty repair. Looks like they replaced the HDMI chip as it's quoting a part number MN864787 and HDMI board repair on paperwork. Took quite a long time , they had receiver longer than I had owned it but just had to accept that's the way it is at the moment.

Haven't plugged it up yet but fingers crossed all good and can get to enjoy my speaker set up, added a P12 subwoofer whilst waiting .

This isn't possible via the second HDMI zone. You can select an HDMI video source to be displayed in the main room while listening to a dedicated audio source in that zone, but this feature isn't available to you in the second HDMI zone. The AV receiver plays no part in processing either the video or the audio signal in the second HDMI zone and it is simply passing that source through to theat zone.

If you want to exploit the ability in the main room then select and start playing your desired audio source in that zone (CD / Tuner / HEOS Music / Phono). Press the OPTION button on the remote to bring up the associated menu. Enter the VIDEO SELECT opyion and turn this feature on. You can now use the SOURCE option to select the video source you'd like to be displayed while you are using this audio source. You can store different video sources for each and every one of your audio sources.

You'd not be able to convey an audio source to a second HDMI zone anyway. Only HDMI sources can be output to the second HDMI zone.

All I can suggest is that you use the AV receiver's second audio zone as opposed to the second HDMI zone. This would allow you to convey any 2 channel audio source to the second zone for portrayal by an additional pair of speakers within that zone. You's still not be able to have a different source via the seconf HDMI zone as you'd have via the seconfaudio zone though. You'd have to source the video elsewhere annd not via the AV receiver.

Thanks for your response though its a little sad that such a sophisticated device can't do this.

One thought I had as an alternative was to bypass the Zone 2 HDMI and simply connect the patio TV directly to my cable box. I could then turn down the sound on the TV and simply direct audio to to Zone 2 via the speaker outputs. Is this feasible and, if so, how would I configure it to work. Is it just a case of switching on zone 2 and selecting a source?

Thanks for your response though its a little sad that such a sophisticated device can't do this.

One thought I had as an alternative was to bypass the Zone 2 HDMI and simply connect the patio TV directly to my cable box. I could then turn down the sound on the TV and simply direct audio to to Zone 2 via the speaker outputs. Is this feasible and, if so, how would I configure it to work. Is it just a case of switching on zone 2 and selecting a source?

THe second audio zone will give you access to any audio sources accessed via the AV receiver. You should be able to do as you suggest.

Hi All, I have a 4500 in the Lounge with a turntable connected. I am thinking of purchasing a Denon Home 350 for another room. Will I be I able to stream the turntable connected to the 4500 from the lounge to the Denon Home 350 in the other room?

So I've been offered the 4500h for about $50 cheaper than the 3700h up here in Canada.
I'm running =7.2.2 in my theatre. I'm upgrading from my 3500h which can't handle all of those speakers.

Is it possible to run 7.2.2 with the 4500h and biamp my mains? It looks like it is, however I'm a bit confused by the 9 discrete amps in this receiver.

Should i look at the 6500h/6700h, or 4500h with a separate 2 channel amp or will it do biamping ok in my config?

So I've been offered the 4500h for about $50 cheaper than the 3700h up here in Canada.
I'm running =7.2.2 in my theatre. I'm upgrading from my 3500h which can't handle all of those speakers.

Is it possible to run 7.2.2 with the 4500h and biamp my mains? It looks like it is, however I'm a bit confused by the 9 discrete amps in this receiver.

Should i look at the 6500h/6700h, or 4500h with a separate 2 channel amp or will it do biamping ok in my config?
Why do you want to passive bi-amp. All you are doing is using the same PSU and robbing the other connected speakers of power. It has no audio improvement at all. If you want to get more power then employ the use and benefits of a power amp for the fronts. The saved power from the receiver by using a power amp will have that saved power redirected to those connected speakers.

You can bi-amp the fronts with a 6500 certainly. I own one and wouldn't consider it as I have a stereo amp with HT by-pass driving the fronts. Bi-amping the fronts from my 6500 would probably have a negative effect on my audio overall.

Why do you want to passive bi-amp. All you are doing is using the same PSU and robbing the other connected speakers of power. It has no audio improvement at all. If you want to get more power then employ the use and benefits of a power amp for the fronts. The saved power from the receiver by using a power amp will have that saved power redirected to those connected speakers.

You can bi-amp the fronts with a 6500 certainly. I own one and wouldn't consider it as I have a stereo amp with HT by-pass driving the fronts. Bi-amping the fronts from my 6500 would probably have a negative effect on my audio overall.

ok thank you! that is great information. I didn't consider that it would rob power from the other channels, or that using an external amp would allow there to be more power for the other channels.

Sounds like I really should get that 4500h for that then.

Currently running my 4500 with 5.1.4 and looking to get a separate amp for expansion. Ive never done this before so not sure what to look at etc. Should I look at an amp to power front L&R or go for multichannel to keep LCR the same? Looking at a Emotiva UPA-2 currently second-hand but not sure if it's going to do what I want and be an improvement. Any help would be appreciated.

Currently running my 4500 with 5.1.4 and looking to get a separate amp for expansion. Ive never done this before so not sure what to look at etc. Should I look at an amp to power front L&R or go for multichannel to keep LCR the same? Looking at a Emotiva UPA-2 currently second-hand but not sure if it's going to do what I want and be an improvement. Any help would be appreciated.
The UPA2 is a stereo amp and will easily work with the Denon. A good power amp should not colour the audio from the Denon and there will be no loss of timbre. They are easy to use simply plug and play via the RCA pre-outs from the Denon and connect your front speaker to the power amp.

The only thing I would say is to put a decent pa on the end of B&W M1 is a bit over the top. I know you are adding the pa to expand your system. If I we were you I would be looking to improve the LRC speakers and use the PA on the L&R channels and use the spare M1's on the extra channels available on the Denon for heights or surround backs etc..

Does anyone have issues with everything on sky q? I’m wondering wether switching the auto lip sync option is doing more harm than good?

Does anyone have issues with everything on sky q? I’m wondering wether switching the auto lip sync option is doing more harm than good?
I use the lip sync function on SkyQ, think I have it set at 60ms. It's stable at that setting with Auto sync off on my Denon 6500.

I have no lip-sync issues with Sky q to date with my 4500. I haven't changed any settings from the default on the AVR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom