Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

What app or streaming service were you actually attempting to get Atmos in association with?

There's nothing unusual about Atmos being conveyed to an AV receiver in conjuction with myltichannel PCM if using an Apple TV. The Apple TV uses Dolby MAT to fascilitate Atmos so will convey the Atmos metadata with multichannel PCM as opposed to bitstreaming the DD+ encoded audio package associated with streaming serrvices inclusive of the Atmos metadata. The AV receiver should however indocate Atmos on its front panel display if and when such Atmos metadata is present though.

Have you correctly configured the ATV's audio output as instructed here:
Tried with Apple TV+ with 3 atmos listed titles, also Netflix with a couple of titles and finally my movies with the same results no atmos, tried a full reset with nothing set up and it shows atmos if available in the audio settings, also tried a reset then setting everything back up the way I had it still no atmos and then tried just switching atmos off and rebooting but still nothing. That’s when I tried a couple of discs and they played in atmos verified by the front display on the avr and also via the info button. So that led me to accept it was the Apple TV and just wait for the next update. Sorry should have said I did check that Dolby was set up and it is

Tried with Apple TV+ with 3 atmos listed titles, also Netflix with a couple of titles and finally my movies with the same results no atmos, tried a full reset with nothing set up and it shows atmos if available in the audio settings, also tried a reset then setting everything back up the way I had it still no atmos and then tried just switching atmos off and rebooting but still nothing. That’s when I tried a couple of discs and they played in atmos verified by the front display on the avr and also via the info button. So that led me to accept it was the Apple TV and just wait for the next update. Sorry should have said I did check that Dolby was set up and it is

There's no apparent issue with accessing Atmos via the Apple TV+ or Netflix streaming services if I access content using the apps on my LG TV so I can only suggest that the issue is specific to the Apple TV device. As to why this issue isn't being more widely reported and only appears to be effecting you is a mystery?

Mine has gone back to richer sounds. It kept dropping inputs. Been tested under warranty. They couldn't find anything wrong, but I didn't want it back so a yamaha rxv6a is on its way. Richer sounds have been fantastic

Last edited:
Mine has gone back to richer sounds. It kept dropping inputs. Been tested under warranty. They couldn't find anything wrong, but I didn't want it back so a yamaha rxv6a is on its way. Richer sounds have even fantastic

Will be on its way after October 30th. The V6A isn't available until the end of October.

There's no apparent issue with accessing Atmos via the Apple TV+ or Netflix streaming services if I access content using the apps on my LG TV so I can only suggest that the issue is specific to the Apple TV device. As to why this issue isn't being more widely reported and only appears to be effecting you is a mystery?
Thanks my tv is running a panel maintenance cycle atm but going to check my tv apps for playing atmos and then i will be sure it’s the atv

update atmos plays fine on my tv so must be the ATV will be patient and wait, I’m still getting good surround and DV

Last edited:
Will be on its way after October 30th. The V6A isn't available until the end of October.

yes i know. I have a marantz nr1506 that was used in another room. that has been faultless. so i still have a amp to use until the new one turns up.

I had posted this over in the X6500H thread but it would apply to the X4500H as well as it utilises the same dual line panel display, I was wandering if anybody could confirm how Dolby Digital Plus with DSU engaged is displayed on their X4500H's front panel display, is it like my X8500H in the top image, or is it like in current 2020 models in the below image,
View attachment 1368897
View attachment 1368898

also when you select Dolby sound modes does it have the same redundancy like in the newer 2019/2020 models where it states "Dolby Audio - Dolby Digital Plus" or Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround" like in the below image, I gather 99.9% of owners couldn't care less but was curious why the geniuses at Sound United, well the Japanese engineers felt the need to change it for change sake & not utilise the dual line display a lot better or simply leave it how it once was like on 2017 & prior Denon models.

View attachment 1368899

Can any X4500H owner confirm this please if it's not too much trouble?

Mine shows this :-
20200924_064504507_iOS.jpg

Some may depend on the content or speaker config (ATMOS etc) but Netflix - Homelands - HD 5.1 looks like this :-

20200924_075022979_iOS.jpg

Some may depend on the content or speaker config (ATMOS etc) but Netflix - Homelands - HD 5.1 looks like this :-

View attachment 1371081

Thanks, yes if you would have played an Atmos track it probably would show it as "Dolby Audio - Dolby Atmos" or "Dolby Audio - Atmos/DSur", I thought Sound United made this change when they implemented the newer Dolby Home Audio 1.6 software for their 2019/2020 lineup that has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer, it's strange they altered the 2018 lineup as it will never receive the Atmos Height Virtualizer & probably remain on Dolby's Harmony 1.3 software.

If you play back a stereo source & use Dolby Surround, does the front panel display "Dolby Surround" like my X8500H or like the newer 2019/20 models as "DSur"?

Last edited:
Here x4500 DD Stereo

20200924_081841527_iOS.jpg

x6700 DD 2.0
20200924_083647719_iOS.jpg
DD 5.1
20200924_083551521_iOS.jpg

20200924_083537962_iOS.jpg

I thought Sound United made this change when they implemented the newer Dolby Audio 1.6 software for their 2019/2020 lineup that has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer, it's strange they altered the 2018 lineup as it will never receive the Atmos Height Virtualizer & probably remain on Dolby's Harmony 1.3 software.

I believe they updated or are in the process of updating some earlier models where they'd prevented non Dolby upmixing to be applied to Dolby encoded content. Denon implemented these restrictions at the bequest of Dolby, but the EU courts determined it to be uncompetitive so Dolby had to desist from insisting upon such restrictions when licensing their products to their customers.

Denon (Sound United) had unfortiunately already started to restrict the upmixing on some of their products though and are now in the process of giving these products the same unhindered upmixing abilities as the models they've since launched.

Last edited:
:thumbsup:
@dante01
As usual your knowledge is up there with the best...you should be a Moderator/Editor or Reviewer.

I believe they updated or are in the process of updating some earlier models where they'd prevented non Dolby upmixing to be applied to Dolby encoded content. Denon implemented these restrictions at the bequest of Dolby, but the EU courts determined it to be uncompetitive so Dolby had to desist from insisting upon such restrictions when licensing their products to their customers.

Denon (Sound United) had unfortunately already started to restrict the upmixing on some of their products though and are now in the process of giving these products the same unhindered upmixing abilities as the models they've since launched.

Yes but wasn't what I was actually querying, the 2018 models were never affected only last year's 2019 D+M AVRs which will receive an update in October to regain the cross-format upmixing ability.

My concern was why Sound United felt the need to change the graphical presentation of their GUI & front panel display, it was much better utilised on their 2017 & prior models, I find it most unnecessary to state it as "Dolby Audio - Dolby Digital", "Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround", "Dolby Audio - Dolby Digital Plus" & so forth, the D+M engineers have made it really redundant, the X4xxx/X6xxx models dual line FL display was better utilised previously as it made better use of it such as presenting the Dolby Surround Upmixer as "Dolby Surround" but now it's merely Dolby's logo with "DSur", I can understand the lesser models like the X3xxx/X2xxx/X1xxx ranges which only have the single line FL display implementing it like that but there is no excuse for the higher end models to present it like this now.

There’s a thread on the Apple TV subReddit about this. Seems latest tvOS and/or latest Netflix Apple TV app has broken atmos via Netflix. Some report it’s not working for other Apple TV apps but I tried a movie I bought and it came through fine.

the people on there who’ve raised with Netflix have been told it’s now a known issue they’re looking into. Could your problem be related to that? Did your atv update last week?

Auro3d - is there some way to configure the center channel to be used as the VOG channel?

Context: I don't have center speaker (don't need it, my fronts have an amazing soundstage, I prefer it over the alternative)

There’s a thread on the Apple TV subReddit about this. Seems latest tvOS and/or latest Netflix Apple TV app has broken atmos via Netflix. Some report it’s not working for other Apple TV apps but I tried a movie I bought and it came through fine.

the people on there who’ve raised with Netflix have been told it’s now a known issue they’re looking into. Could your problem be related to that? Did your atv update last week?

There's apparently now a new Netflix update (version 2.1.17) that resolves the Netflix issue:

Auro3d - is there some way to configure the center channel to be used as the VOG channel?

Context: I don't have center speaker (don't need it, my fronts have an amazing soundstage, I prefer it over the alternative)

No, the centre channel remains the same centre channel for all formats and configurations. You cannot reassign the centre channel. In the absence of a physical centre speaker, the centre channel would be portrayed by your front left and right speakers. There would not be any fadvility to use the unused channel of amplification and reassign it.

No, the centre channel remains the same centre channel for all formats and configurations. You cannot reassign the centre channel. In the absence of a physical centre speaker, the centre channel would be portrayed by your front left and right speakers. There would not be any fadvility to use the unused channel of amplification and reassign it.

Well to be clear, I don't want a center, so indeed find for L+R to handle, but it means there's an unused amp just sitting there. Was hoping I could use it for VOG but apparently not?

The X4500 doesn't facilitate reassignment of the sentre channel amplification if not including a centre speaker in your setup. The channel can only ever be used to drive the centre speaker in association with the centre channel. I think you may have more freedon to reassign amplification on the X8500, but not on the AVRX4500. The only reassignable channels are those associated with the back and the front channels. All the other channels are fixed to their associated speakers.

Adding a VOG speaker only becomes an option if adding an external amp and running a 10 channel setup:

by default 2020-09-25 at 16.16.01.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. I guess in my case it's not worth it.

Continuity?

Perhaps, for sure it feels like change for change sake but I get it, it's easier on the engineers to program the FL display with fewer letters but they felt it was necessary to make the Dolby sound mode selection busier than it was previously, last time I checked it's not hard to figure that an owner has selected Dolby Digital & it's variants, silly for them to go from "Dolby Digital" to "Dolby Audio - Dolby Digital".

There may actually be legal reasons behind the change. Dolby may be requesting that the Dolby Audio aspect be included as part of their licensing agreement?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom