Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Yes, thanks - ordered one yesterday, best deal I could find, looking forward to the Wednesday delivery 👍
On a different tack, anyone recommend a Denon Android App? - they were pretty dire a few years back when I 'retired my X4200.
I use this one occasionally but I do prefer the remote as i find it quicker, apps ok though.

Cheers, I'll give it a whirl - yes I usually grab the remote, or use my Logitech Harmony.
But sometimes it's useful.

I am using official Denon App on Android - Denon 2016 AVR Remote.

Two questions, when doing a backup onto usb what does it save, I have the Audessey app for that side of settings, and the second question how to reinstall a firmware upgrade (I have problems starting internet radio) .
Thanks

Two questions, when doing a backup onto usb what does it save, I have the Audessey app for that side of settings, and the second question how to reinstall a firmware upgrade (I have problems starting internet radio) .
Thanks

It saves every setting you've made or changed, including naming sources for exampkle. Basically anything and everything so that reloading it would restore every setting to how it was when the data was saved.

Yes it does. I just press the appropriate source button to switch, it's not auto switch though.
I’ve not used this hdmi pass-through but would be quite a family friendly feature to have.

For example, at the moment I can press the sky button on my sky remote and it turns the sky box and tv at the same time.

Does this hdmi pass-through allow this?

I’ve not used this hdmi pass-through but would be quite a family friendly feature to have.

For example, at the moment I can press the sky button on my sky remote and it turns the sky box and tv at the same time.

Does this hdmi pass-through allow this?

Yes, all passthrough does is allow audio and video to be played without having to switch the amp on from standby, if you change source say bluray to TV you have to select the appropriate button on the amp remote but still don't have to turn on the amp.

Has anyone had any problems playing older DVDs through their 4500? I’ve just tried to play ‘8 mile’ (listed as Dolby 5.1 and DTS) as well as ‘morning view sessions by incubus’ (‘Dolby digital 5.1 and pcm stereo’) and it seems the 4500 refuses to play the all but the pcm stereo track. For 8 mile this means no audio at all. I’ve checked the connections and Blu-ray player will play the pcm track fine and blurays fine so no problem there.

I’ve been through settings on both AVR and the Blu-ray player (Panasonic UB820) and no indications of anything I’ve set wrong. In fact the panny status menu shows its receiving and outputting audio:

19CEB599-2DCC-4EDF-8C86-48EF23CF6D24.jpeg

(note I have separate hdmi Video out to tv and audio out to 4500 since the 4500 won’t pass through hdr10+).

the 4500 then is clearly aware that it’s passing no audio through as none of my speakers show as active when Blu-ray is selected:
04373BF2-F293-42B7-ABEE-136708D08D33.jpeg

(and I’ve tried all sound modes in case it was connected to that but no dice there either).

here’s how the display looks with sky q for reference of what’s ‘missing’ in last pic:

F05A8F1D-B46A-426F-B763-B1B846780EC3.jpeg

Anyone else had this? very bizarre and would be annoying to need to buy some DVDs again.

I've played a few old DVD's through mine with a couple of different players, no issues with the soundtrack.

I've played a few old DVD's through mine with a couple of different players, no issues with the soundtrack.
Thanks. Have just fixed in the 4k players menu - had digital audio output set to bitstream for Dolby audio and dts. Changing this to pcm for both has fixed.

I think you should have it as Bitstream and secondary audio as off.
you then get the disc playing it’s source ie Dolby Digital , Dts or in the case of Blu-ray Atmos if applicable , hope I’m correct.

I think you should have it as Bitstream and secondary audio as off.
you then get the disc playing it’s source ie Dolby Digital , Dts or in the case of Blu-ray Atmos if applicable , hope I’m correct.
Thanks for suggestion - that’s how I did have it originally but doesn’t seem to work. So full menu is:
Dolby audio (can set to Bitstream or PCM)
DTS/DTS-HD (can set to Bitstream or PCM)
MPEG Audio (can set to Bitstream or PCM)
BD-Video Secondary Audio (can set to Automatic, On or Off)

So here’s all the things I’ve tried:
1. All set to bitstream, secondary audio set to ‘On’
= no sound
2. All set to bitstream, secondary audio set to ‘Off’
= no sound
3. All set to PCM, secondary audio set to ‘On’
= sound
4. All set to PCM, secondary audio set to ‘Off’
= sound

From reading the menu though, it seems to suggest that as long as secondary audio is set to off, you should hear the original audio?l, so maybe it’s ok? Will have to try an atmos disc and see what it does

edit: no, you’re right, 4k Everest really doesn’t appreciate being forced into PCM!

Last edited:
I wonder if you have to do something in the Denon receiver, I’ve never had Denon so can’t advise. Had yamaha and Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player and I’m sure that’s how I’ve set it up and have no issues. gibbsy is the man for Denon info. Just noticed you have the same Panasonic Blu-ray player as me, just checked mine ye set as bitstream and secondary audio off.

Last edited:
Thanks. Have just fixed in the 4k players menu - had digital audio output set to bitstream for Dolby audio and dts. Changing this to pcm for both has fixed.
To get HD audio you need to have your sources outputting bitstream. The Denon should automatically recognise the incoming signal and decode it. I've never had a problem with any Denon doing so. The photographs you have shown above do show that you are receiving the correct audio from the player.

The player has two HDMI and you should tell the player that you are using the two so that the correct audio is sent to the Denon. Standard def DVDs will only have basic Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. The photo shows that the Denon is correctly upmixing to use all your connected speakers.

You will need blu ray discs or 4K discs to be able to take advantage of the HD audio with Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA HD. They may also come with an Atmos or DTS X soundtrack. Those discs, primarily blu ray, may just have the TrueHD or DTS MA track and again these would be upmixed by the Denon using Dolby Surround and DTS Neural.

You will not get Dolby or DTS using PCM. PCM is an audio format initself and does not carry Atmos or DTS X. Go back to what you were using when you took those photographs, that is the correct setting.

I wonder if you have to do something in the Denon receiver, I’ve never had Denon so can’t advise. Had yamaha and Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player and I’m sure that’s how I’ve set it up and have no issues. gibbsy is the man for Denon info.
I have a suspicion that it’s
I wonder if you have to do something in the Denon receiver, I’ve never had Denon so can’t advise. Had yamaha and Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player and I’m sure that’s how I’ve set it up and have no issues. gibbsy is the man for Denon info.
I think you could be right. I’ve plugged in V for Vendetta DVD now and again no sound with the Denon claiming the signal is ‘PCM ZERO’:
E6CA522B-F1C5-45E9-A0C7-7B0C540413C2.jpeg

I’d presume it would be a setting I’ve got wrong because surely someone else would have hit this problem before - or maybe it’s a slightly more niche issue since it’s the audio only output from the panny (though you’d think it’s less work for the AVR so easier to deal with!)

To get HD audio you need to have your sources outputting bitstream. The Denon should automatically recognise the incoming signal and decode it. I've never had a problem with any Denon doing so. The photographs you have shown above do show that you are receiving the correct audio from the player.

The player has two HDMI and you should tell the player that you are using the two so that the correct audio is sent to the Denon. Standard def DVDs will only have basic Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. The photo shows that the Denon is correctly upmixing to use all your connected speakers.

You will need blu ray discs or 4K discs to be able to take advantage of the HD audio with Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA HD. They may also come with an Atmos or DTS X soundtrack. Those discs, primarily blu ray, may just have the TrueHD or DTS MA track and again these would be upmixed by the Denon using Dolby Surround and DTS Neural.

You will not get Dolby or DTS using PCM. PCM is an audio format initself and does not carry Atmos or DTS X. Go back to what you were using when you took those photographs, that is the correct setting.
All settings returned to how I had them and my Blu-ray collection is fine. But the DVDs are just not playing any audio with the 4500 seeing the signal as PCM ZERO (this is with the Blu-ray player set to bitstream for all options and secondary audio set to off)

All settings returned to how I had them and my Blu-ray collection is fine. But the DVDs are just not playing any audio with the 4500 seeing the signal as PCM ZERO (this is with the Blu-ray player set to bitstream for all options and secondary audio set to off)
That's your player. I have the same with audio on my Pioneer LX500. In order to get DD or DTS from DVD you need to have 'Source Direct' employed ( or what ever it's called). The problem lies with the player and not the Denon. You may also come across problem with blu ray discs that just have an SD audio format such as The Last Samurai or Crimson Tide.

What player do you have?

That's your player. I have the same with audio on my Pioneer LX500. In order to get DD or DTS from DVD you need to have 'Source Direct' employed ( or what ever it's called). The problem lies with the player and not the Denon. You may also come across problem with blu ray discs that just have an SD audio format such as The Last Samurai or Crimson Tide.

What player do you have?
That does make perfect sense, just wish I could find the appropriate settings :(

its a Panasonic DP-UB820. Might be a problem exclusive to their audio out hdmi socket perhaps, hence not many people have had this issue

He has ub820 same as me. I have mine at bitstream and secondary audio off and I have no issues, mind.I don’t have ordinary DVD‘s only Blu-ray and 4k .

He has ub820 same as me. I have mine at bitstream and secondary audio off and I have no issues, mind.I don’t have ordinary DVD‘s only Blu-ray and 4k .
Yeah, no problems with blurays, been using it for last 2-3 months no problems but then thought to put on 8 mile and came a cropper. Will have a play around and see if I can find this ‘source direct’ somewhere in settings

I’m so confused. I’ve now tried a couple of DVDs I played a few weeks ago which I *know* worked fine, and now they don’t work either. No settings were changed until Sound from 8 mile didn’t work so I’m at a loss.

I’ve been through so many permutations of settings I’m going UI blind, so here’s some setting shots for someone to give me a clip round the ear and show me where I’m being an idiot :)

AD7DBFC0-15E6-442A-AC7B-219AAEC633D0.jpeg
74CB86D6-0587-4D80-973F-313FBA37CDE8.jpeg
58299CD3-C86C-4372-A187-45772B6ACDB0.jpeg
751255FC-2C5B-494E-B759-7A551568221A.jpeg
D9C59810-4E0D-4DEC-BE75-71B32E388633.jpeg
F93FE24E-E45D-4B3F-9B3C-7F629B0D783A.jpeg
7241ED9D-371E-4D9A-8227-F07E8F8173D2.jpeg

And here’s what the Denon shows...
61253EEF-225F-42AF-9A12-C4DB586B998A.jpeg

Attachments

• 76F592E4-09D7-42D8-9E01-AAEC23E5F85D.jpeg
    76F592E4-09D7-42D8-9E01-AAEC23E5F85D.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 30
  • B3B30DD4-DAEE-470F-A58A-A9539F30DE21.jpeg
    B3B30DD4-DAEE-470F-A58A-A9539F30DE21.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 29
On the digital audio output I have mpeg as pcm.

I have just picked up a Denon 4500 to upgrade my Onkyo pre/power amp set up driving my Mk speakers the set up was
Onkyo processor Pr-sc5509
Onkyo PA-mc5500 9 channel amp
3 Mk150 in wall
2 MK st150 rears
4 Mk Iw85 in the ceiling
I still have the Onkyos what is anyones thoughts on using the onkyo amp to drive the speakers with the Denon doing the switching and processing or should I keep the Denon as a one box solution
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom