Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

by default 2020-08-11 at 23.16.44.png

Set the AMP ASSIGN setting to 9.1CH and then set the FLOOR LAYOUT setting to 5CH. Now set the HEIGHT SPEAKER setting to HEIGHT and 4CH.

Also ensure that the SURR. HEIGHT speaker configuration is set to NONE and that the REAR HEIGHT SPEAKERS are actuallu engaged within the REAR HEIGHT setting. If left set to the SURR. HEIGHT option then the rear most height speakers will not be engaged when portraying Atmos. You need to be using the REAR HEIGHT option and not the SURROUND HEIGHT option! This will engage all 9 speakers with Auro 3D, Atmos or DTS:X.

Last edited:
Sad day. Have had a great month using this AV receiver, even managed to upgrade living room set up to 7.2.4 using a Parasound V2 amp for rear heights. However yesterday no HDMI output from Monitor 1 ( ARC ) . Still had sound through AV and all relevant information indicators on display. Checked cable direct from sources and they were all good. Also found that Monitor 2 and Zone 2 outputting HDMI sources fine.

Also did other checks including that output was set to Auto and not just Monitor 2.

Looks like it's off to Denon for a repair as Peter Tyson have no more stock to do refund.

Wife has rolled her eyes a lot !!!

Sad day. Have had a great month using this AV receiver, even managed to upgrade living room set up to 7.2.4 using a Parasound V2 amp for rear heights. However yesterday no HDMI output from Monitor 1 ( ARC ) . Still had sound through AV and all relevant information indicators on display. Checked cable direct from sources and they were all good. Also found that Monitor 2 and Zone 2 outputting HDMI sources fine.

Also did other checks including that output was set to Auto and not just Monitor 2.

Looks like it's off to Denon for a repair as Peter Tyson have no more stock to do refund.

Wife has rolled her eyes a lot !!!
I just added a 4500 to my cart did you talk to them ?

I just added a 4500 to my cart did you talk to them ?

Dealt with via email as it was easier to communicate . Very helpful and offered range of options but I decided to see if Denon could repair it first under warranty. PT organised courier to collect today.

After some advice. I have a 7.1.4 configuration and setup is as follows

Denon X4500
NAD C316Bee V2 integrated amp powering FL and FR- B&W 603
Rest of the speakers are powered by Denon (B&W 607 for surrounds and CCM664 for heights/Atmos)

I had my initial concerns about the NAD thinking it’s not powerful enough (40W RMS per channel at 8ohms)
603s are rated from 30w- 200w at 8ohms so NAD is still within range and was assured by retailer/installer that this is plenty of power to drive the 603s to a reasonable level as long I’m not cracking up to very high levels (since it’s pure 40rms per channel unlike driving them directly via the denon which isn’t providing constant power to the the fronts all the time especially during movies) What are your thoughts on this?

I haven’t noticed any issues during movies or music so far apart from directly playing FLAC through denon’s USBport.

when I’m streaming via Spotify for example (in stereo configuration), I can set the denon to 55DB and I would say it’s giving out a decent volume levels (I always control the volume on denon and NAD is permanently set to just over half way on the volume dial). However if I play FLAC lossless via denon’s USB port, at the same 55DB on denon, music level is considerably lower.

I have also noticed similar results with other streaming platforms such as Netflix/YouTube compared to watching a 4K bluray. I always have to set the volume level to 60-70db to get the full impact with blu rays but on the same configuration, if I stream YouTube for example at the same level it is way too loud!

any advise would be much appreciated

Apologies if it’s been asked already but if I use my 4500 for heights only (using an emotiva power amp for 5 main channels) what would the power rating be to the heights?

As per spec:
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)125 W
So if powering 4 height I would think somewhere around 100wpc

Great help thanks. How have you set your switch position on your Dali's ?
Sorry, just saw your question. I've kept the switch to 'up' as I think i'm probably sitting far away enough from the speakers to be more in the sweet spot than if in the 'down' position.

Sorry, just saw your question. I've kept the switch to 'up' as I think i'm probably sitting far away enough from the speakers to be more in the sweet spot than if in the 'down' position.
Tried to PM you but your Inbox is full.

Only had this receiver for a few days and really enjoying it. One thing I have noticed is that when I gently press the top of the receiver it does flex somewhat! Anyone else have this? There's no obvious warping or anything like that.

Only had this receiver for a few days and really enjoying it. One thing I have noticed is that when I gently press the top of the receiver it does flex somewhat! Anyone else have this? There's no obvious warping or anything like that.
It's not exactly the thickest metal but you're not supposed to put anything on top so shouldn't be a problem. 👍

My 4500H (Bought in June) appeared to throw a fit twice this morning.

The first time it would not power on at all (No standby light on when turned on at the mains).

After powering off and on for a few minutes it turned on but then after less than and minute it froze and was totally unresponsive again requiring the power removing to fix it.

Anyone else seen this occur?

So far this evening it is behaving ok.

Hi on my last avr a Yamaha rxa3050 I could press the info button and it would cycle what was displayed on the front of the avr, so wondered if the 4500 could do this anyway?

Hi on my last avr a Yamaha rxa3050 I could press the info button and it would cycle what was displayed on the front of the avr, so wondered if the 4500 could do this anyway?
There is a button, top left button of the 4 that surround the arrow keys, says info.

Yes but everything you need to know should be on that 1 screen, what else do you want to know other than what is on that info screen.

Selecting internet radio from standby I get the unit switching on and display changing to internet radio and after a few seconds the station name pops up and that’s it no audio,wait for up to a minute, but if I select another input then back it works, any ideas,
Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that the AVR-X4500 switches the HDMI source when in standby? - as detailed in the web manual:
Annotation 2020-08-31 092749.jpg

I reverted back to my ancient Yamaha RX-V1067 a few years back after finding my replacement AVR-X4200 didn't support switching the HDMI source while in standby. I had to switch it on, change source and then turn it off again......
I know it's a lot of money for a glorified HDMI switcher, but my wife hated it!
Thanks

Can anyone confirm that the AVR-X4500 switches the HDMI source when in standby? - as detailed in the web manual:
View attachment 1358047
I reverted back to my ancient Yamaha RX-V1067 a few years back after finding my replacement AVR-X4200 didn't support switching the HDMI source while in standby. I had to switch it on, change source and then turn it off again......
I know it's a lot of money for a glorified HDMI switcher, but my wife hated it!
Thanks
Yes it does. I just press the appropriate source button to switch, it's not auto switch though.

If you're in UK then check Ebay for brand new unit for around £806 delivered next day free.

Yes, thanks - ordered one yesterday, best deal I could find, looking forward to the Wednesday delivery 👍
On a different tack, anyone recommend a Denon Android App? - they were pretty dire a few years back when I 'retired my X4200.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom