Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Yeah, this is how everything is setup but no sub coming through when multichannel stereo. I presume stereo is literally that: 2.0. So multichannel just pushes 2.0 out across all sides.

The sub absolutely kicks in on any other mode so it's not that I've got a song playing that doesn't go thst low, and it's not an audessey setting either.

But from your repsonse I presume your sub does kick in when set to multichannel stereo?
Scrap that, seems audessey settings are per sound mode, so I had Audessey LFC on for multichannel stereo but nothing else. Annoying that LFC isn't a global setting - I only want it on in the evening, but that's completely independent of sound mode

Last edited:
I got a notification of an update which said would be 12 minutes, so accepted and set it off. That was 40 minutes ago and the X4500 is still off and unresponsive. Obviously I'll just leave it off for now (though, my God the TV speakers are dreadful!), but didn't anyone else have this with the update? How long did it take?

I have had this sort of thing happen with a Marantz and Onkyo avr in the past, I have waited an hour then turned the power off then back on and all was ok.

Not sure if that's ok or not with your Denon.

I have had this sort of thing happen with a Marantz and Onkyo avr in the past, I have waited an hour then turned the power off then back on and all was ok.

Not sure if that's ok or not with your Denon.
Thanks, as it rolled over an hour I decided to pull the plug and all is well again. Thanks for giving me the confidence to do it

Picked up a refurbed 4500 for £750 with a 6 year warranty so looking forward to getting some ceiling speakers in next week and driving 9 channels (5.1.4) 😁

anyway on a 4500 of adjusting different input volume levels so they all sound the same level ?

anyway on a 4500 of adjusting different input volume levels so they all sound the same level ?

Yes, there's a SOURCE LEVEL adjustment setting you can use to adjust the source levels. It has a -12db to +12db scale and will be initially set to 0db by default. The SOURCE LEVEL settings can be found within the INPUTS configurations.

Yes, there's a SOURCE LEVEL adjustment setting you can use to adjust the source levels. It has a -12db to +12db scale and will be initially set to 0db by default. The SOURCE LEVEL settings can be found within the INPUTS configurations.
Many thanks found it, now to work out what’s the quietest and what’s the loudest and adjust from there

What do people do during thunderstorms? I mean we never have it bad in the UK so I usually never unplug anything but since spending a lot on my cinema system which includes Devon, integrated amp, TV, speakers etc I’m thinking may be its a good idea to unplug them? Saying that I was told by people these should be always left on on standby and not really to turn off from mains fully.
Has anyone had had any lighting damage to their equipment in the UK?

Guys I have installed my Dali Height Speakers and running a 9.1 set-up...Audyssey has set the front heights as small and the rear heights as large. Should I run with this or change the rears to be small also ?

Guys I have installed my Dali Height Speakers and running a 9.1 set-up...Audyssey has set the front heights as small and the rear heights as large. Should I run with this or change the rears to be small also ?

You'd be advised to manually deal with the bass management post calibration. It is generally advised to override the calibration relative to speaker size configurations and to always set all speakers as being SMALL irrespective of their physical size, measured roll offs or rated capabilities.

You'd also be advised to set crossovers no lower than 80Hz for the floor level speakers and in the 120 to 150 range for height and or ceiling speakers. It would also be inadvisable to set a crossover lower than the roll off measured by the calibration.

You may find this article of interest:

What do people do during thunderstorms? I mean we never have it bad in the UK so I usually never unplug anything but since spending a lot on my cinema system which includes Devon, integrated amp, TV, speakers etc I’m thinking may be its a good idea to unplug them? Saying that I was told by people these should be always left on on standby and not really to turn off from mains fully.
Has anyone had had any lighting damage to their equipment in the UK?
Its an interesting question, though must confess I’ve never worried about this - with my HT setup or anything else at home. Interested in others’ views but I’m not concerned

You'd be advised to manually deal with the bass management post calibration. It is generally advised to override the calibration relative to speaker size configurations and to always set all speakers as being SMALL irrespective of their physical size, measured roll offs or rated capabilities.

You'd also be advised to set crossovers no lower than 80Hz for the floor level speakers and in the 120 to 150 range for height and or ceiling speakers. It would also be inadvisable to set a crossover lower than the roll off measured by the calibration.

You may find this article of interest:
Thanks will try this out.
I also notice that Atmos movies are only flagging as Front Heights with no indication of Rear Heights...Is this because of the config of Front Heights and Surround Rear Heights ? Can I set the Heights as Dolby Ceiling to achieve full Atmos ? I am experimenting and testing at the moment.

They’re pretty good. Well made, relatively easy to wall mount with a couple of screws to hang them off. I’m using them as heights rather than upfiring. Not had them for long, so still in the running in period but they add a fullness and create a lovely bubble of sound with certain Atmos soundtracks. I recommend trying them.
I now have mine set as heights in a 5.1.4 set-up...what speaker config did you setup for Atmos ?
I set them as Ceiling instead of Front and Rear Height to exploit Atmos and DTS x

Just taken delivery of a brand new 4500H today and set up with Audyssey using a 5.1.2 with front heights......here's where I'm a bit lost having migrated from MCACC. I thought I'd selected all the correct speakers during set up but it seems to be giving me just a 5.1 set up. If I go in to amp assign then the only options I get are 11.1, 9.1 7.1 + zone 2 etc...so I've selected the 7.1 +zone 2 even though I have no zone 2. Watching a movie with Atmos then everything lights up on the info button as far as speakers go.
Running a B&W MK1 mk2 5.0 surround with separate sub and 2 front height Dali Altecos at present, going to add 2 more for rears. Audyssey set crossovers at 60h for surrounds and 40hz for Dalis which seems a bit low....should I push them all up 20hz each?

I now have mine set as heights in a 5.1.4 set-up...what speaker config did you setup for Atmos ?
I set them as Ceiling instead of Front and Rear Height to exploit Atmos and DTS x

There's no requirement to set the speakers as being ceiling speakers in order for height speakers to be used to portray either Atmos or DTS:X. Just leave them set as heights if they are located where height speakers would be located. There's no benefit associated with pretending that they are on your ceiling if they aren't.

There's no requirement to set the speakers as being ceiling speakers in order for height speakers to be used to portray either Atmos or DTS:X. Just leave them set as heights if they are located where height speakers would be located. There's no benefit associated with pretending that they are on your ceiling if they aren't.
When I set them as Heights I only get Atmos indication using Front Heights and Rears are indicated as not in use.

I posted on the Audyssey forums recently to ask their advice on what configuration to choose for the Atmos speakers, Dali Altecos in my case. They said it makes no difference to the Audyssey set-up whether you tell the amp they are heights or ceiling speakers.

I posted on the Audyssey forums recently to ask their advice on what configuration to choose for the Atmos speakers, Dali Altecos in my case. They said it makes no difference to the Audyssey set-up whether you tell the amp they are heights or ceiling speakers.
Great help thanks. How have you set your switch position on your Dali's ?

When I set them as Heights I only get Atmos indication using Front Heights and Rears are indicated as not in use.

I'd therefore suggest your setup is incorrectly configured then. There's no reason why the rear heights wouldn't ordinarilly be engaged if correctly configured and if portraying Atmos audio.

As far as Auro 3D is convenered. Auro doesn't support or udse ceiling speakers (apart from a solitary Voice of God speaker) and you'd be advised to only use heights as oposed to having ceiling speakers. A 5.1.4 setup utilising heights is and will be conducive with Auro, Atmos and DTS:X. A 5.1.4 setup inclusive of ceiling speakers will only be conducive with the latter and not Auro.

Last edited:
I am going by this -

The guidance given there actually contradicts your findings regarding the rear heights and suggests exactly what I've conveyed:

For the models AVR-X4200W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X6200W, AVR-X6300H, AVR-X6400H and AVR-X7200W(A) as well as AVC-X8500H, it is possible to use Rear Heights instead of Surround Heights for Auro-3D playback. This 9.1 (5.1.4) configuration is then fully compatible to Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos as well as DTS:X.

What I'd suggest you've done is designate the heights as SURROUND HEIGHTS as opposed to REAR HEIGHTS? If set as SURROUND HEIGHTS then they's only be engaged relative to Auro or the associated upmixing. Set them as REAR HEIGHTS and not SURROUND HEIGHTS!

Last edited:
This is the configuration you need.

Height speaker layout example
Combination of 5.1-channel layout and front height/rear height speakers.
Pict Height SP Layout X4200

Height
Height Sp

Select the number of the height speakers and ceiling speakers used in MAIN ZONE.
None:Uses no height and ceiling speakers.
2ch
(Default):
Uses a set of (two) height speakers or ceiling speakers.
4ch:Uses two sets of (four) height speakers or ceiling speakers.
5ch:Uses five height speakers ∗
If “5ch” is selected, connect the Top Surround speaker to the SUBWOOFER 2 PREOUT or SURROUND BACK L speaker terminal.

The guidance given there actually contradicts your findings regarding the rear heights and suggests exactly what I've conveyed:

For the models AVR-X4200W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X6200W, AVR-X6300H, AVR-X6400H and AVR-X7200W(A) as well as AVC-X8500H, it is possible to use Rear Heights instead of Surround Heights for Auro-3D playback. This 9.1 (5.1.4) configuration is then fully compatible to Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos as well as DTS:X.

What I'd suggest you've done is designate the heights as SURROUND HEIGHTS as opposed to REAR HEIGHTS? If set as SURROUND HEIGHTS then they's only be engaged relative to Auro or the associated upmixing. Set them as REAR HEIGHTS and not SURROUND HEIGHTS (BACK)!
Excellent help and Thank you...will dive into the setup and check everything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom