Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Agree or build one using RPi

Just pay the original artists to come sing outside your house. They've not that much on right now.

I have three squeezeboxes. No way would I use avr music streaming and leave TV on or on with screen off (and routing audio.through TV)

Also hdmi may be inferior to coaxial/optical for pcm been shown that's the case on several avrs

Ah okay maybe @kbfern can advise. I know how to turn the screen off on my LG but leave it powered on. I do this so it can still power my Power Amp cooling fans.

I found the setting to turn off the screen display, this will work for most of the music I will be using.

Just got a second update since purchasing the 4500H, glad to see support for them is still ongoing.

No idea what changes have been applied though.

I have three squeezeboxes. No way would I use avr music streaming and leave TV on or on with screen off (and routing audio.through TV)

Also hdmi may be inferior to coaxial/optical for pcm been shown that's the case on several avrs
For casual listening it can be fine, although as you say I would not wan to leave the TV on with a pretty static image.

I think in the context of better music adding an external streamer is nice but doesn't add that much bar a better interface especially if you use coaxial/optical as an AVR is generally a poor music playing device. As an upgrade if anyone is that way inclined, especially in the context of an 9 channel AVR that can process 11 channels and reassign unused amps, an ideal next step is to add an external 2 channel Integrated HiFI amp of some kind as that way you can improve HiFi playback and add 2 extra channel to drive the fronts, which can free up the internal amps to drive extra rears / ATMOS speakers to give you a nice 7.1.4 setup that can also play music very well.

For casual listening it can be fine, although as you say I would not wan to leave the TV on with a pretty static image.

I think in the context of better music adding an external streamer is nice but doesn't add that much bar a better interface especially if you use coaxial/optical as an AVR is generally a poor music playing device. As an upgrade if anyone is that way inclined, especially in the context of an 9 channel AVR that can process 11 channels and reassign unused amps, an ideal next step is to add an external 2 channel Integrated HiFI amp of some kind as that way you can improve HiFi playback and add 2 extra channel to drive the fronts, which can free up the internal amps to drive extra rears / ATMOS speakers to give you a nice 7.1.4 setup that can also play music very well.

Lms is far superior to the awful upnp/dnla on my yamaha avr

Plus single media type multi room,.rather than different avr in each room and not different front end.

Also large vfd or touch screen LCD, proper and decent phone interface, replaygain, gapless, custom menus etc.

Avr media player is nice inclusion but not exactly refined.

We talking usability better or sound quality better?

The Denon HEOS is not that bad, don’t get me wrong it’s not ‘The Dogs Nads’ but it’s ok for casual listening was all I was saying which may be all the OP needs..
I have had Squeezeboxes all over the place so know exactly what you mean. I mainly use Roon now (7-8 endpoints), but also have Allo, HiFiBerry, Bluesound, Sonos, Arcam, Naim etc in the house...

Hi,

I've upgraded to X4500H just few weeks ago and still trying to adjust the speakers levels to get the best results. I've setup 5.2.4, with .4 surround speakers as Front Heights and Rear Heights. According to the info I gathered, this should support all Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D. I've managed to get all the speakers fire test tone individually and correctly under manual setup. So I believe my amp assign and speaker assign are all correct.

However, when I play the demo video such as "DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1" or "Atmos 514" (which play sound to individual speaker), somehow the Rear Height / Rear Surround sound does not come out from the rear height speaker but from the Side Surround Speakers instead. If I press "Info" button on the remote, both the Signal and Sound show 7 channels (for DTS:X, I need to set the Sound Mode to DTS: Neural X to get the sound channels right). Unfortunately, when the video plays sounds emitting from Rear Surround, I can only hear it coming from side Surround. I've checked the media info of the video file and confirm it carries 8 audio channels.

When I play an Atmos or DTS:X movie, the sound effect is great but I simply can't tell if it is a 5.2.4 effect or I merely get a 5.1 effect.

Have I done anything wrong with the setting?

By the way, I setup the Front and Rear Height speakers based on the recommendation of this video:

I'm using Himedia Q10 Pro to play movie files. This player supports both 7 channels Atmos and DTS HD.

Hope to get some advice from the Masters here. TIA.

Hi,

I've upgraded to X4500H just few weeks ago and still trying to adjust the speakers levels to get the best results. I've setup 5.2.4, with .4 surround speakers as Front Heights and Rear Heights. According to the info I gathered, this should support all Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D. I've managed to get all the speakers fire test tone individually and correctly under manual setup. So I believe my amp assign and speaker assign are all correct.

However, when I play the demo video such as "DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1" or "Atmos 514" (which play sound to individual speaker), somehow the Rear Height / Rear Surround sound does not come out from the rear height speaker but from the Side Surround Speakers instead. If I press "Info" button on the remote, both the Signal and Sound show 7 channels (for DTS:X, I need to set the Sound Mode to DTS: Neural X to get the sound channels right). Unfortunately, when the video plays sounds emitting from Rear Surround, I can only hear it coming from side Surround. I've checked the media info of the video file and confirm it carries 8 audio channels.

When I play an Atmos or DTS:X movie, the sound effect is great but I simply can't tell if it is a 5.2.4 effect or I merely get a 5.1 effect.

Have I done anything wrong with the setting?

By the way, I setup the Front and Rear Height speakers based on the recommendation of this video:

I'm using Himedia Q10 Pro to play movie files. This player supports both 7 channels Atmos and DTS HD.

Hope to get some advice from the Masters here. TIA.

Welcome to the Forum.

Double check your speaker connections. If you have a 5.1.4 set up then the rear surround channel should not be used at all. Your five base speakers should all be at a seated head height.

Set “Height” - “Height Sp” to “4ch” in the menu when connecting in this configuration. link

Conne SP 9.1 TR TF X44E3

You can change the combination of the HEIGHT1 and HEIGHT2 channels in the settings. link

Last edited:
The AVRs remote control Info button will tell you the Input Signal and how it is being output to the speakers.

Check your source audio (on the left) coming in to the AVR first, is it ATMOS or DTS:X?

If it isn't some apps on certain device like YouTube, may have content that is ATMOS, but because the software player or hardware you are playing it on may not support it, the clip may just be being sent to the AVR at a lower audio type.

If it is coming in as ATMOS or DTS:X, then check what the audio is being processed as on the Info screen, if it's wrong then cycle through the Movie Sound Modes using the Green button till you get the one you want and the Info screen looks as it should with all your speakers high lighted.

Even if the signal coming in is not full ATMOS / DTS:X you can still apply up-mixing to utilise the ATMOS speakers by pressing the green button and checking the Info screen.

If you speakers are set right and being processed correctly but you still cant hear them then some people turn the levels up a little bit on the ATMOS speakers to run them a little hot so they are a bit more obvious.

Hey guys, I'm proud owner of 4500H from March and I love it. At the moment I run 6.1.2 – B&W 603s are main fronts, B&W HTM6 centre and B&W M1s are 3 surrounds (2 on sides and 1 at the back) and 2 front heights. Sub is B&W ASW610. I got a 2nd amp to help the 603s - It's XTZ Edge power amp and it really woke up those 603s and sounds amazing, especially in two channel music listening. Soon, I'd like to change to 7.1.4 by changing the M1s front heights to 4x proper ceiling speakers. I was thinking about these: https://www.weybridge-audio.co.uk/bowers-and-wilkins-ccm665-ceiling-speaker-pair.html

I don't have a big budget, but I don't want the speakers to sound too weak, when compared to the rest of the speakers... If you think I would be fine with even cheaper ones... like CCM382 for example, I'll more than happy to hear that. Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• martins_system.jpg
    martins_system.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 59
Welcome to the Forum.

Double check your speaker connections. If you have a 5.1.4 set up then the rear surround channel should not be used at all. Your five base speakers should all be at a seated head height.

Set “Height” - “Height Sp” to “4ch” in the menu when connecting in this configuration. link

Conne SP 9.1 TR TF X44E3

You can change the combination of the HEIGHT1 and HEIGHT2 channels in the settings. link

Thanks for the guidelines. Yes, this is how I connected my speakers. When I press "info" on the remote, I can see Atmos / DTS:X signal and the output speakers all lighted up. If I play some atmos movies, the sounds seems impressive and I can hear some soft noise coming out from Front & Rear Height speakers. I can also set the tone level for all the speakers. But when I play demo video "DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1" or "Atmos 514" which play individual speakers one by one, I don't get any sound coming out from the Rear Height / Rear Surround speakers. The sound came out from the Side Surround instead. i.e., both sounds meant for Rear Surround and Side Surround all came out from Side Surround speakers.

Therefore, I don't know if I have done any setting wrong or simply the source file I played is not reliable?

The AVRs remote control Info button will tell you the Input Signal and how it is being output to the speakers.

Check your source audio (on the left) coming in to the AVR first, is it ATMOS or DTS:X?

If it isn't some apps on certain device like YouTube, may have content that is ATMOS, but because the software player or hardware you are playing it on may not support it, the clip may just be being sent to the AVR at a lower audio type.

If it is coming in as ATMOS or DTS:X, then check what the audio is being processed as on the Info screen, if it's wrong then cycle through the Movie Sound Modes using the Green button till you get the one you want and the Info screen looks as it should with all your speakers high lighted.

Even if the signal coming in is not full ATMOS / DTS:X you can still apply up-mixing to utilise the ATMOS speakers by pressing the green button and checking the Info screen.

If you speakers are set right and being processed correctly but you still cant hear them then some people turn the levels up a little bit on the ATMOS speakers to run them a little hot so they are a bit more obvious.

Thanks for the reply. I actually downloaded the demo video and play it on my media player. Yes, the info shows signal as ATMOS or DTS:X and I managed to select the sound mode to match. All the output speakers are lighted up even for the demo video. Somehow, when I played the video which send noise to individual speakers, LRC and SW, SR all ok, except the .4 height speakers. Sound which is meant for Rear Surround (or Rear Height) only came out from Side Surround. I'm not sure if the demo video is not reliable but the media info shows 8 channels.

If that's the case just try a few films and see how it sounds, Everest is good when the clouds / hail comes in. Maybe the Dolby ones also :-

What Subwoofers is everyone with this AVR using please?

I have tried to cure the Ground Loop Hum on my old Wharfedale but can't do it safely (Earth removed) or with having it on full (Isolator inline) so have been given permission to get it replaced!

@John24ssj and his posts / PMs have been a great educator for me so to prevent any possible similar issues I think I am looking for something D Class, but just wondered if anyone had something that really shines with the 4500H?

BK

Also I don't think the Denon x4500 has an earth pin, did you try plugging the earth ground point for the phono input to an earth for the Denon? Get did this for another amp by getting a mains lead with 3 pin plug, disconnecting the live and neutral wires both ends, removed the live and neutral plug pins also to just leave the one single earth pin and an earth wire. Connected one end to my amp phono binding post and as soon as I plugged in the plug to an earth hum went.

Now that I haven't tried, will knock one up and give it a shot thanks!

I did try connecting the Denon to the Sub and the TV with a wire but not direct to the plug socket.

I assume you mean this post?
03C6255E-2C97-42B7-A32D-734AF6DF47E0_1_201_a.jpeg

This one :-

EF529435-4CDB-4784-A840-C0CF8DACE197.jpeg

I have a BK XXLS400 running off my X4500 and it don't sound to shabby :) and I do have 2 x 15" subwoofers running off my main system so i do like my bass:D

Depends on what you are looking for though and your room as to whether the BK is big enough, if not the Mono+ is a better option.

Thanks, just wondered if you had tried touching the ground elsewhere before that fixed it for you?

This one :-

I think the thing was my amp has a floating earth design and the kit I had plugged into it didn’t, so the only easy way to fix it was earth the amp direct to earth. I tried doing it to my turntable but that didn’t help, maybe it’s not a direct earth.

It felt a bit Heath Robinson but it worked straight away, just make sure the earth didn’t accidentally touch anything else, here’s the plug and the amp :-

A28424F4-F1C7-47A2-BC55-9C545E1B3701.jpeg
0D5E8B35-ABF7-4F01-A84D-1C3E6C2510C9.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom