Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Think my new x4500h may have a minor fault 😕

I'm getting a faint hum in just the left surround channel. Can't really hear it from normal listening position, but notice it every time I walk past the speaker at ear height when volume is down / surround off. Have tried unplugging unnecessary inputs, sub etc but still there. Swapped surround speaker connectors on the amp and it showed up in the right surround so its not the speaker / cable. Doesn't change with volume or mute but seems to disappear if I turn eco off. Would rather have eco on auto to keep everything cool.

I could live with it, but if its faulty would rather get it sorted. I assume this isn't normal? Some sort of grounding issue between the eco power supply and left surround channel?

Last edited:
Don't do that!

The receiver will subsequently fail to perform the feature each sticker refers to once removed :lesson:

What you need is a packet of additional stickers Denon sell with bubble gum with which to add additional features ;)
Just don't get them from the knock off sellers on eBay I got some and my 4500 changed all my outputs to Chinese 😭😱

My X4500H suddenly has stopped showing video on the HDMI output. When I ran a "HDMI Diagnostics" test, it is showing the error as H1-15.
I was told that this could have happened due to a corruption during firmware upgrade, and need to upgrade firmware via USB. Where can I get the offline firmware image for the X4500H EU version?
This used to be DENON, but now this is getting redirected to denon.com.
Any ideas on how to recover the system?

Denon have ceased making their firmware updates available as standalone downloads for their network enabled AV receivers.

I can only suggest that you contact Denon support and ask them to make the file available to you.

Last edited:
My X4500H suddenly has stopped showing video on the HDMI output. When I ran a "HDMI Diagnostics" test, it is showing the error as H1-15.
I was told that this could have happened due to a corruption during firmware upgrade, and need to upgrade firmware via USB. Where can I get the offline firmware image for the X4500H EU version?
Have you tried a factory reset (press Back+info+power all at the same time and only on the amp not remote)

Became a X4500 owner yesterday, retiring my reliable, if somewhat aging Onkyo 876.
The x4500 is primarily only going to be doing the processing work for the Nord amps I now own and the surround duties, eventually in the coming weeks it'll be powering 2 front heights also.

First impressions, well it's a damn sight smaller and lighter than the 876, but the processing power, whilst not exactly night and day change, is certainly noticeable. Whether that's a combination of new processing tech and Audyssey xt32 (the 876 has the older Audyssey EQ) or just the processing I'm not sure. The Aud results are pretty much the same as the 876, levels, distance and speaker size recording.

The most significant improvement for me atm is the HDMI pass through. I run my HTPC (which is also my main house pc work horse) through my AVR and the 876 never had that capability so was needed whenever I needed to do any pc work at all.

I've not bothered testing Internet radio, or Spotify or any of the other music side of it as I have a Bubble/MPD server, Qobuz via a separate laptop and DAC setup going to my Nord Int-A does that, so can't comment on how useful all that is on the 4500.

On the whole, glad I made the purchase and I'm looking forward to utilising the heights for ATMOS and DTS:X processing.

Good job I don't have neighbours :)

I still have an 805 in a bedroom and that weighs a ton (well over 22k) and also had an 818 also weighed about 19kg, I then bought an X4500 at xmas which replaced the 818.

The Onkyo's of old were huge and heavy lumps that at the time were the bees knees at their price level but things move on. These days Onks seem to have fallen behind and Denon Marantz seem firm favourites.

My X4500 certainly is more refined with XT32 and handles room correction much better than the 818 which also had an older version of XT32. I much prefer the GUI on the newer amps which makes setting up a breeze. They also have all the bells and whistles for 4k sound codecs and can do a decent job in the amplification department unless you have demanding speakers or like to listen at higher volumes where a PA like you have will really give an even better more powerful and dynamic sound.

Enjoy your new avr as they are extremely good value at the moment as they are about to go discontinued in favour of the new models which are considerably more expensive.

Had a look round and it seems you can also reset the firmware to original factory version (Found it on avsforum), that might be worth a shot if nothing else works?

Press and hold the Dimmer and Setup buttons on the front panel and then press the On button until you see a message on the front panel "Restoring FW"

Last edited:
The 4500 has eARC
Hello.i will buy a denon avr-x4500.but in the specifications stay only arc not e-arc.its
Possibly the denon have this new e-arc on board or must do this with firmware?
I find nothing about this firmware. plays a role the Manufacturing Date to have this feature on board?
Thank you

The X4500 has eARC included on this model.

See spec details on ad below.

FUTUREPROOF IN ANY WAY
All eight HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs feature HDCP 2.2 compatibility and the latest HDMI specifications, including 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR), Dolby Vision compatibility, HLG support and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support. It is even ready for Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for 3D audio broadcast over TV.

Hi everyone, new to thread as I just bought a x4500 last week.

I just have a quick question that I'm sure most owners will already know.
Is there a way to play music without having the TV screen on?

I have an oled and just trying to be extra careful to avoid burn in.

Thanks in advance,
John.

From what source? You can control the amp from HEOS app (Radio, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon, Local music etc) or the Denon AVR Remote app with the TV off..

From what source? You cna control the amp from HEOS app or the Denon AVR Remote app with the TV off

Thanks for the reply, any source really. Through Bluetooth on phone or Internet radio, Spotify etc..

Doh I never tried just turning tv off to see if music still played.

Thank you both

Most tv's have an option to turn screen off, my Panasonic does.

Thanks in advance,
John.
What make of OLED?

Yes it's the big red button at the top!!! :)

Thanks in advance,
John.

Turn the TV off. You may however experience some issues if the source is HDMI in nature. HDMI uses the video clock for timing and some source cease to output anything via HDMI if they cannot detect a video display in the HDMI chain.

There is the option of configuring the AV receiver to display another HDMI video source while accessing audio only sources. You'd do this via the OPTION menu on the AV receiver:

by default 2020-06-25 at 14.04.07.png

This would effectively allow you to use another source as a screen saving while using the audio only sources.

Last edited:
Panasonic
Ah okay maybe @kbfern can advise. I know how to turn the screen off on my LG but leave it powered on. I do this so it can still power my Power Amp cooling fans.

Had it linked to avr so when I turned tv off avr went off too. Will separate them now.

The AV receiver includes a setting within its HDMI configurations that circumvents the sybcronised power status of the AV relative to the TV.

by default 2020-06-25 at 14.08.38.png

This thread is great and so fast! Thanks tebbo and Dante I appreciate it.

Will hopefully have time at the weekend to have a proper run through the avr and test a few 4k blu-rays. Very impressed with it so far but have not delved deep yet.

This thread is great and so fast! Thanks tebbo and Dante I appreciate it.

Will hopefully have time at the weekend to have a proper run through the avr and test a few 4k blu-rays. Very impressed with it so far but have not delved deep yet.
You are most welcome. Enjoy 😉

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom