Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Thanks very much both of you for the replies.

Thanks for the settings Gibbsy. :smashin:.

Finally got a response regarding the recent firmware update.

"Hi Russell,

Sorry for the late reply, we appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately our firmware download websites were taken down and we are no longer allowed to send firmware to customers via email.

I can confirm that the latest firmware update improves overall performance and stability.

best regards

sound united support "

Oh well...

Finally got a response regarding the recent firmware update.

"Hi Russell,

Sorry for the late reply, we appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately our firmware download websites were taken down and we are no longer allowed to send firmware to customers via email.

I can confirm that the latest firmware update improves overall performance and stability.

best regards

sound united support "

Oh well...
What a pants response.
Cheers for posting though.

Anyone else who has experienced issues with the crossover settings? If I set the crossover to 250hz and send a 20 hz sine wave tone (from REW via HDMI) to the receiver, the bass should go to the subs, right? It does not. The mains keep playing. Need help to figure out what's going on.

Are your main speakers set to large or small.

Small. Lfe to Lfe at 120 hz. Crossover at 250 at both the main settings and the 2 CH settings.

Small. Lfe to Lfe at 120 hz. Crossover at 250 at both the main settings and the 2 CH settings.
What sound mode is engaged? Pure or Pure direct by chance?

Hello everyone,

New here, had a question about my Denon x4500h and Dolby Atmos.
I have a LG C8 with an Apple TV 4K, and Oppo UDP 203, and 5.1.4 system.

The x4500h is connected to the ARC HDMI on the LG TV

Prior the receiver and speaker system, I had a LG SK9Y soundbar which did play Dolby Atmos.
With the soundbar, I was able to play Dolby Atmos from my 4K backups and backup MKVs (on an external drive) from the Oppo 203 to the soundbar. I was also able to play Dolby Atmos via Plex on my Apple TV and the LG TV.

However, whenever I try to play those same movies via the Denon x4500h, the system doesn't play Dolby Atmos, it shows up as Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround. Even when I play from the Dolby app on the LG C8 which plays Dolby Vision and Atmos demos, the x4500h only shows Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround and not Dolby Atmos.

When I turn off the x4500h, and play the audio through just the LG C8, I do get Dolby Atmos from the Oppo 203 and the Plex app on the Apple TV.

However, when I put a physical disc, I don't have this issues, it does play Dolby Atmos. It just doesn't show Dolby Atmos when I try to play from the backups that are on the hard drive via the Oppo.

I was wondering if anyone issues playing back their backups from external hdd via Oppo 203 with their x4500h? If so, could you guys please help. I would greatly appreciate it.

All the settings on the Oppo 203 are correct to the best of my knowledge. The audio output via HDMI is set to "Bitstream".

What sound mode is engaged? Pure or Pure direct by chance?

Stereo comes on by default. I've tried that and Pure direct. Same thing.

By the way, I'm running an external amplifier for the mains. Not that that should change things, but if it's a bug, perhaps it might be confined to this scenario?

Hello everyone,

New here, had a question about my Denon x4500h and Dolby Atmos.
I have a LG C8 with an Apple TV 4K, and Oppo UDP 203, and 5.1.4 system.

The x4500h is connected to the ARC HDMI on the LG TV

Prior the receiver and speaker system, I had a LG SK9Y soundbar which did play Dolby Atmos.
With the soundbar, I was able to play Dolby Atmos from my 4K backups and backup MKVs (on an external drive) from the Oppo 203 to the soundbar. I was also able to play Dolby Atmos via Plex on my Apple TV and the LG TV.

However, whenever I try to play those same movies via the Denon x4500h, the system doesn't play Dolby Atmos, it shows up as Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround. Even when I play from the Dolby app on the LG C8 which plays Dolby Vision and Atmos demos, the x4500h only shows Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround and not Dolby Atmos.

When I turn off the x4500h, and play the audio through just the LG C8, I do get Dolby Atmos from the Oppo 203 and the Plex app on the Apple TV.

However, when I put a physical disc, I don't have this issues, it does play Dolby Atmos. It just doesn't show Dolby Atmos when I try to play from the backups that are on the hard drive via the Oppo.

I was wondering if anyone issues playing back their backups from external hdd via Oppo 203 with their x4500h? If so, could you guys please help. I would greatly appreciate it.

All the settings on the Oppo 203 are correct to the best of my knowledge. The audio output via HDMI is set to "Bitstream".

Finally figured it out. I had to plug in the height speakers and activate them IN the receiver (D'oh moment, bit embarrassed).

After plugging height speakers and activating them, Dolby Atmos showed up from the TV apps, Nvidia Shield, and the UHD backups.

Still odd that the Apple TV apps showed Dolby Atmos without the height speakers plugged in, oh well.

Looks like everything is working now.

Thank you

Stereo comes on by default. I've tried that and Pure direct. Same thing.

By the way, I'm running an external amplifier for the mains. Not that that should change things, but if it's a bug, perhaps it might be confined to this scenario?
[/QUOTE
Remember that whatever the crossover is set to your mains will still produce sound below the set crossover as it's not a hard cut off but slopes off softer. I believe (may be wrong) that the sub cuts of harder above the crossover setting.

Last edited:
Hi,

Over the weekend I’ve upgraded my 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. I changed the amp assign from 7.1+Zone2 to 9.1, but when I run Audyssey there is a audible click from the AVR as it changes from front heights to rear heights, this also happens if I run the 5.1.4 test tones demo from the Atmos demo Blu-ray and also the levels test tone from within the amp.

Is this normal or is there some other setting I’ve missed?

Hi,

Over the weekend I’ve upgraded my 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. I changed the amp assign from 7.1+Zone2 to 9.1, but when I run Audyssey there is a audible click from the AVR as it changes from front heights to rear heights, this also happens if I run the 5.1.4 test tones demo from the Atmos demo Blu-ray and also the levels test tone from within the amp.

Mine clicks but only when doing test tones but it doesn't do it during normal playback.
When you say 9.1 I'm assuming you have floor at 5ch and dolby sp at 4ch.

Hi,

It is normally. It is simply the relays associated with AVR reassigning the back channel amplification to the rear Atmos speakers.

Hi,

Mine does the same clicking noise when running the calibration tool and when using the AVR test tones, but not when playing media.
Haven't had any issues at all with regular content so far, been running 7.2.4 for 3 months now.

Last edited:
been running 9.2.4 for 3 months now.

The AVRX4500 can't facilitate you with a 13 channel 9.2.4 setup. The receiver is limited to no more than an 11 channel 7.1.4 setup. The receiver can only process 11 channels of audio at any one time.

Last edited:
So do the left F&R and right F&R act as pairs under normal playback and the click is the AVR separating them out to play a single speaker test? Otherwise I don’t understand why it does this every time I run test tones or Audyssey but not under normal playback. I always thought Atmos used height speakers as separate units as it does with the surrounds.

The AVRX4500 can't fascilitate you with a 13 channel 9.2.4 setup. The receiver is limited to no more than an 11 channel 7.1.4 setup. The receiver can only process 11 channels of audio at any one time.
Typo, corrected to 7. Good catch, thanks.
9 standard would be (in my opinion) overkill seeing as how there are no movies with soundtracks having so many discrete channels.
Besides, I've no idea where I'd fit 9 standard speakers anyway :)

Mine clicks but only when doing test tones but it doesn't do it during normal playback.
When you say 9.1 I'm assuming you have floor at 5ch and dolby sp at 4ch.
Edit: actually set to 4ch Height sp not Dolby sp.

Last edited:
Just grabbed one of these from Peter Tyson for £799 bit late to the party but a great price for one of these. Now I just need to wait for the undoubtably slower than normal delivery.

ragazzi ho letto che molti di voi prima di acquistare l'x4500 possedevano la Marantz SR7010 / 11/12 sono indecisa tra Denon e Marantz. nell'home cinema il marantz ha un suono più equilibrato e piatto rispetto al denon? è meno dinamico nelle azioni di guerra? esteticamente mi piacciono entrambi perché hai scelto l'x4500 ad altri modelli?

ragazzi ho letto che molti di voi prima di acquistare l'x4500 possedevano la Marantz SR7010 / 11/12 sono indecisa tra Denon e Marantz. nell'home cinema il marantz ha un suono più equilibrato e piatto rispetto al denon? è meno dinamico nelle azioni di guerra? esteticamente mi piacciono entrambi perché hai scelto l'x4500 ad altri modelli?
guys I read that many of you before buying the x4500 owned the Marantz SR7010 / 11/12 are undecided between Denon and Marantz. in the home cinema the marantz has a more balanced and flat sound than the denon? Is it less dynamic in war actions? aesthetically I like both because you chose the x4500 to other models?

English translation:

guys I read that many of you before buying the x4500 owned the Marantz SR7010 / 11/12 I am undecided between Denon and Marantz. in home cinema does marantz sound more balanced and flat than denon? is less dynamic in war actions? aesthetically I like them both because you have chosen the x4500 to other models?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom