Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Thanks man.
I do love the Yamaha sound signature and only started looking at Denon due to raved reviews and features set. I don’t plan to upgrade for a while so need an amp that’s going to be future proof too. Did you miss the sound on your Yamaha when moving to Denon? What was the thing that stood out most? I’ve looked at that B&W sub but looking for one with more modern feature like the svs app control etc
First of all: I just made the mistake of saying the Yamaha surround receivers don’t do 5.1.4. They do 5.1.4 starting from the (to expensive - for me) RX-A2080. But I already was on 7.1 on my Yamaha and didn’t want to step down to 5 lower channels when adding 4 height channels. So I needed 7.1.4. Something the Denon AVR-X4500H can deliver with an extra external amplifier.
I made the jump from after having three Yamaha’s in succession to my first Denon about a year ago, under pressure of an unreal promotion. And I was also afraid of losing the pure sound quality of the RX-A1020, but since I already planned to extend the setup with a good stereo amp with HT bypass, I took the risk. And I must say, the X4500 surprised me tremendously. It’s music performance is greater then the Yamaha. Slightly more dynamic, more detail and most of all an even lower noise floor. And because I heard a X3500H briefly in a shop, the surprise was even bigger. I cannot really recommend the X3500H. The X4500H is a whole other amplifier. I suspect that the AL32 processing is the key difference.
Another big difference from the Yamaha: the DSP. Since we moved to another house, about 8 months before the change, I was more or lesse dissapointed by the YPAQ sound corrections in the new situation. The Audessey MultiEQ XT32 of the Denon does a much better job in correcting the acoustical anomalies of our new living room. I almost don’t dare to admit it, but I mostly listen in STEREO mode to music (with DSP active) instead of the PURE DIRECT mode. It does a fantastic job. I suspect it even does correct the phase in one way or another, because even stereo image is better in stereo mode... But I am planning to do some acoustical corrections in the future to be able to listen to pure stereo on my forthcoming stereo amplifier.
And yes, I also think a Marantz will do even a better job in music performance, but it won’t be able to beat a good stereo amp with Home theatre bypass like a Hegel H120 or comparable when you combine it with your surround amplifier. Plus you get the extra benefit of relieving the surround amp of the task of amplification of the two front channels.

Thanks man.
I do love the Yamaha sound signature and only started looking at Denon due to raved reviews and features set. I don’t plan to upgrade for a while so need an amp that’s going to be future proof too. Did you miss the sound on your Yamaha when moving to Denon? What was the thing that stood out most? I’ve looked at that B&W sub but looking for one with more modern feature like the svs app control etc

Yamaha signature is definitely something that i missed switching from Yamaha A1070 to Denon x4500. I am sure you will too in the first few days if you are going to do the switch.... If music is your thing, I would say stay with yamaha. Denon is better in terms of surround sound experience, bass management, picture processing, and it has imaxenhanced... I am using svs pb1000, and denon can play it out better...

after about a month of listening to denon, i am starting to get used to its sound, not sure if the receiver is running better now or it's just

if i could make the choice again, i would definitely go to a2080 rather than denon x4500. if there is more imaxenhanced content, then i will like denon more...

Thanks symphy944 and Alphafighter,

after reading these post I feel a bit more confident to make the move from Yamaha to Denon. I do listen to music but mainly it will be used for movies so need will be able to live with the trade off. Looking forward to pairing it with the SVS SB3000 as I really think my sub is too small for the room. The sb3000 might be over kill however I like knowing the power is there if I need it. Will keep you posted on the out come

These are £999 at the moment but have been at that price a few times over the last few months and were even £949 back in january. I was hoping for a £949 or even a bit lower in the Black Friday sales but no luck as yet.

Anyone seen any X4500 at better than £999 new.:)

Yeah I’m hoping to pick up a deal next week

I am about to replace my Denon 2311 with a 4500. Can I use my 2311 for some speakers together with the 4500? Say I want to go from 5.1 to 5.1.4?
The 4500 will. Do 5.1.4 on its own no problem.

I am about to replace my Denon 2311 with a 4500. Can I use my 2311 for some speakers together with the 4500? Say I want to go from 5.1 to 5.1.4?
The 4500 can do 5.1.4 out of the box. Never a bad idea to give the front channels some extra power but this is best achieved with a power or stereo amp with HT by-pass if music is of importance.

The X4500H can do 5.(2).4 with the built in amplifier channels, but you can experiment with putting your 2311 on two surround line outputs. But be shure to switch the 2311 to Pure Direct and let the X4500H take care of the DSP programs and Audessey sound correction.
I would not recommend to use it for the two front channels, since I expect the X4500H to give a more detailed sound reproduction.
Best option is to use a stereo amplifier with HT bypass on your front channels. But that of coarse implies an investment...
Succes with it and enjoy it!

how good is the x4500 for 2 channel music playback?

how good is the x4500 for 2 channel music playback?
Just OK.
I have both 4500 and marantz 7013 (similar spec).
The marantz 7013 is way better in two channel playback. Whether it's in "pure direct" mode or after calibration "stereo" mode.

Thanks,
Partha

Just OK.
I have both 4500 and marantz 7013 (similar spec).
The marantz 7013 is way better in two channel playback. Whether it's in "pure direct" mode or after calibration "stereo" mode.

Thanks,
Partha
Thank you. I may just stick buying a x3600 and continue using my KI SIG Marantz 2 channel amps pre-outs. Would you say the x6500h will be below average also for 2 channel?

How good is the 7013 for 5.1 etc?...denon better?

Thank you. I may just stick buying a x3600 and continue using my KI SIG Marantz 2 channel amps pre-outs. Would you say the x6500h will be below average also for 2 channel?

How good is the 7013 for 5.1 etc?...denon better?
Tough to compare between 4500 and 7013 for 5.1 channel performance. In my setup with the new b&w 603 towers and the b&w HTM6 center the marantz sound is much warmer and rounded and sweeter.
The 4500 with the same speakers, sounds brighter and sharper than I like.
So it also depends on the speakers you are paring with.
If your primary criteria is movie, then go for Denon. If both movie and music then marantz.
By the way, the 4500's build quality is superior than the 7013.
The 6500 is Japan made. Cant comment on two channel performance of 6500 but whathifi has excellent review for this unit.
The remote of the 7013 is backlit.

Thanks,
Partha

Tough to compare between 4500 and 7013 for 5.1 channel performance. In my setup with the new b&w 603 towers and the b&w HTM6 center the marantz sound is much warmer and rounded and sweeter.
The 4500 with the same speakers, sounds brighter and sharper than I like.
So it also depends on the speakers you are paring with.
If your primary criteria is movie, then go for Denon. If both movie and music then marantz.
By the way, the 4500's build quality is superior than the 7013.
The 6500 is Japan made. Cant comment on two channel performance of 6500 but whathifi has excellent review for this unit.
The remote of the 7013 is backlit.

Thanks,
Partha
Thank you.

Would you say the x6500h will be below average also for 2 channel?
I have the 6500 great grandpa in the 6200. The 6500 has AL32 processing whereas the 6200 has AL24. This may just make the 6500 better for music than the 6200. I have AL32 on a Denon SACD player and it is superb. However even if I replaced by 6200 with a 6500 I would still prefer to have music played by a dedicated stereo amp. The Denon may be 'good' but it's far from great.

Bagged one of these babies in black today for a decent price should be getting it in a few days.:)

Dan @ The Movie Rooms, ask him for a price and he may do better than the £995 that he has on his website.

He has no stock of X4500 as at yesterday but black was 2-4 days and silver 10 days.

Hi Folks,
I’ve recently come back to the AV world after falling in love with a Samsung 65QFN and then finding it wouldnt play nicely with my Pioneer LX56.

After much research I set my heart on the AVR-X4400H and ordered what seemed to be the worlds last one from Peter Tyson at a bargain price. A few hours later, the dreaded call... “We haven’t got any... but for only £150 more you can have the latest version...”

So here we are.

Anyway, I got it all setup and working, replacing my ageing Panasonic LX-56 and I must say, it certainly seems to be more musical somehow.

I have what seems to be termed a 5.1.2 setup, using front heights, not perfect for my new setup I know, but all I can get in the room with ease, although I may investigate some Atmos enabled rears.

How’s the Receiver?
The channel separation is almost certainly more defined and I am enjoying actually hearing something coming from my front heights for a change. (First time I’ve had Atmos)

Power wise it’s fine with it suiting my room size well, I don5 imagine it will ever be driven harder than 70%. But I wonder how it would fare in a room twice the size. The 200w per channel is a comedy rating in my opinion and is probably PMPO and a very long way from RMS. It’s fine for me... but beware of you have a very large room and require big volume.

The screen information for each setting is a joy as understanding the Pioneer was a real pain at times if you were deep inside some menus, but no such problem with this Denon, every option has an on screen explanation. Perfect.

So, all in all, love the receiver, and allied to the new Q9FN the setup has got me all excited about AV again. I Just need to figure out why I don’t seem to be able to stream 4K from my Synology NAS. Normal HD works just fine, but 4K is buffering like crazy.
Sorry guys dont
Hi Folks,
I’ve recently come back to the AV world after falling in love with a Samsung 65QFN and then finding it wouldnt play nicely with my Pioneer LX56.

After much research I set my heart on the AVR-X4400H and ordered what seemed to be the worlds last one from Peter Tyson at a bargain price. A few hours later, the dreaded call... “We haven’t got any... but for only £150 more you can have the latest version...”

So here we are.

Anyway, I got it all setup and working, replacing my ageing Panasonic LX-56 and I must say, it certainly seems to be more musical somehow.

I have what seems to be termed a 5.1.2 setup, using front heights, not perfect for my new setup I know, but all I can get in the room with ease, although I may investigate some Atmos enabled rears.

How’s the Receiver?
The channel separation is almost certainly more defined and I am enjoying actually hearing something coming from my front heights for a change. (First time I’ve had Atmos)

Power wise it’s fine with it suiting my room size well, I don5 imagine it will ever be driven harder than 70%. But I wonder how it would fare in a room twice the size. The 200w per channel is a comedy rating in my opinion and is probably PMPO and a very long way from RMS. It’s fine for me... but beware of you have a very large room and require big volume.

The screen information for each setting is a joy as understanding the Pioneer was a real pain at times if you were deep inside some menus, but no such problem with this Denon, every option has an on screen explanation. Perfect.

So, all in all, love the receiver, and allied to the new Q9FN the setup has got me all excited about AV again. I Just need to figure out why I don’t seem to be able to stream 4K from my Synology NAS. Normal HD works just fine, but 4K is buffering like crazy.
Sorry guys just joined and am not to shure how to post yet. But i have a 13x13 living room with the left side completely open to the dining room. Wood stove to the left and the back is all windows overlooking the lake with heavy drapes to slide over them if needed. My tv is a new 65" 4k and i am running an x1300w right now infinity rs1's for my rear channel and ok yamaha front drivers and so on. But i am buying today a new denon thinking about the x4500h for the power and features. But the x3600h looks good too and the x6500h i know i will have to upgrade all speakers soon. But not knowing if the bigger power will be to much for the room. I want to run 4 atmos in my ceiling as well someday. Any thought guys? And what speakers should i run with them? I am liking the klipsch line not shure witch ones though. Dont want to under or over power them. And my room is smaller so i want to be able to run volume that they sound best at. Again sorry for busting in here but i an stuck on the decision.

3x13 living room

Is that 13 feet by 13 feet or 13 metres by 13 metres?

I'll assume 13 feet as you are already using an entry level Denon. I would in that event feel that the 6500 would not be needed and that the 4500 would more than suffice. It's difficult to tell you if your room is big enough and your seating arrangement would be able to suit a 5.1.4 set up. You may very well be better off opening a new thread in this section and asking a direct question. Prepare a plan of your room with it's dimensions. Oh and welcome to the Forum.

I just bought an AVR-X4500H and will be initially setting it up as a 3.1 in the main zone (large family room) and zone 2 will be for my back patio (Klipsch AW-650's). I will be expanding to 5.1 in the main sometime in 2020, maybe sooner. Eventually I will be using this receiver in my media room with a 9.2 setup. My concern is the 3.1 initial setup. The speakers I have are two Klipsch R-5650-W II In-Wall speakers for the front L & R, a Klipsch RP-504C as the center channel speaker, and a SVS SB-2000 as the subwoofer. Will this work? I am concerned about not having the rear surround speakers set up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom