Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Rizvan

Hi folks,
setup up my AVR-4500H but having a couple of issues:-

1. Apple TV 4K - Dolby Atmos works perfectly on Netflix, Disney+, Apple iTunes Movies / ATV+ but anything via Amazon Prime won’t output Atmos. (See attached screen shots)

2. Panasonic DPUB820 - Every so often the Amplifier loses the signal, I’m suspecting it’s the HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

Attachments

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi folks,
setup up my AVR-4500H but having a couple of issues:-

1. Apple TV 4K - Dolby Atmos works perfectly on Netflix, Disney+, Apple iTunes Movies / ATV+ but anything via Amazon Prime won’t output Atmos. (See attached screen shots)

2. Panasonic DPUB820 - Every so often the Amplifier loses the signal, I’m suspecting it’s the HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

What is it you are attempting to get Atmos in conjunction with via the Amazon service? There's very little content actually inclusive of Atmos available via Amazon. The only thing that springs to mind that would include Atmos is first Jack Ryan Series. Also note that you'd have to be playing the 4K UHD version of this and not the HD version on order to get Atmos. Amazon provide access to both variants of the video at the same time, but invariably make it harder to finfd the 4K version using their interface to find it. I think that they've previously made Atmos available with some content such as Carnival Row, but later appear to have ropped the Atmos audio for some unknown reason?

You may find this article of interest:

EDIT I've had a little time to investigate this further and I've found that the content that I could previously get Atmos in association with via Amazon via the app on my LG C9 is also now absent of Atmos. All other apps such as the Disney+, Apple TV and Netflix apps give access to Atmos where applicable, but the Amazon app and service now appears to be completely void of Atmos? No idea if this is related to your issue with the ATV, but omething strange is afoot at Amazon.

Last edited:

Pretorian24

I am having an issue with my X4500.
If I try to play a music CD from my BD player I have to have my Epson projector ON to get sound.
If I turn it (the image) OFF the signal to my Denon disappears and I get no sound.
If I disconnect the HDMI OUT on my Denon I do get sound.
So something happens whenever I have the Epson connected.

How do I play music from BD player without having the image ON?

I have tried different BD players.
I have tried different HDMI.
I have updated everything.
I have factory reset the Denon.
I have turned OFF Viera Link on BD and the link thing on the Epson.
I have tried passthrough both on and off on the Denon.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
No idea why that happens but maybe there is a workaround:
Does your BD player have 2 hdmi out's if so could you use the second hdmi out which is usually audio out only for when you want to play music only discs.

That is assuming you can have audio out from both hdmi on the player, then just select that hdmi input when playing music.

Pretorian24

No idea why that happens but maybe there is a workaround:
Does your BD player have 2 hdmi out's if so could you use the second hdmi out which is usually audio out only for when you want to play music only discs.

That is assuming you can have audio out from both hdmi on the player, then just select that hdmi input when playing music.
Thanks.
It does not. I will try a workaround and use optical out and install it i a new input on the Denon for example CD and only use that for optical sound. That way I hope it will work.

As soon as I "mention" HDMI on the receiver that on takes over and then I need to have the image on.

RobTi

I am having an issue with my X4500.
If I try to play a music CD from my BD player I have to have my Epson projector ON to get sound.
If I turn it (the image) OFF the signal to my Denon disappears and I get no sound.
If I disconnect the HDMI OUT on my Denon I do get sound.
So something happens whenever I have the Epson connected.

How do I play music from BD player without having the image ON?

I have tried different BD players.
I have tried different HDMI.
I have updated everything.
I have factory reset the Denon.
I have turned OFF Viera Link on BD and the link thing on the Epson.
I have tried passthrough both on and off on the Denon.
Try changing hdmi setting from enhanced to standard

RobTi

Can we assign different hdmi settings to different inputs enhanced to input 1 & 2 and standard to 5 & 6 say ?
Thanks

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I've had my 4500 for a week now and mostly very impressed. I love the precision and the sub in particular now seems much better integrated and "tight", for want of a better word.

Audyssey works really well (now I've got to grips with it) and the overall sound is excellent. MultEQ is a great little tool too.

One small gripe - it does seem slightly low on power.
I frequently have to dial up the volume to around -6 dB to be able to hear dialog on some material (and this is with all sources.) With my previous Pioneer I rarely had to go above -12.

I might try raising the level on the centre slightly, but don't want to upset the overall balance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've had my 4500 for a week now and mostly very impressed. I love the precision and the sub in particular now seems much better integrated and "tight", for want of a better word.

Audyssey works really well (now I've got to grips with it) and the overall sound is excellent. MultEQ is a great little tool too.

I frequently have to dial up the volume to around -6 dB to be able to hear dialog on some material (and this is with all sources.) With my previous Pioneer I rarely had to go above -12.

I might try raising the level on the centre slightly, but don't want to upset the overall balance.

That isn;'t an issue with the power. -6db would be the same relative to reference level irrespective of the power available. THe relative dv volume scale relates directly to a measured reference which the receiver attains when t=you set the master volume to 0db. All other master volume levels are relative to that level. Whether you are using a 10 watt or a 10,000 watt amopp, the reference is constant and -6 db would stillbe 6 deciobels below that reference:

The centre is either incorrectly levelled, pooirly mixed or you've a gearing issue?

If it were a matter of a lack of power then you'd be hearing distortion at higher volume levels. If more powerful, the receiver's centre channel will not increase in volume while the receiver's master volume is set to -6db. It would be exactly the same.

Pretorian24

-6 is pretty loud in my Cinema. I seldom go above -12 and that is loud.
I have raised the center so that could help.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
@dante, I'm familiar with reference level and there's certainly nothing wrong with my hearing.

Perhaps the Denon got things wrong with ref. level in the Audyssey setup. I might treat myself to a dB meter to see what's going on.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe load one of the free meters you can get onto your phone or a tablet device? This should be good enough to just run a quick check rather than having spend money on an actual physical meter. It would give a good idea as to whether or not the level is in alignment with the other levels?

Hey guys! I just put this receiver in a theater room for a buddy and have encountered some really odd ARC behavior, hopefully it's something simple I'm missing and you guys can help.

Receiver is connected to TV via 18Gbps HDMI cable.
HD Blu-Ray player is connected to the receiver.
TV receives 4K HDR signal from the receiver when watching movies.
When watching a local source on the TV, the receiver automatically switches to TV Audio, but there is no sound at all. The TV remote controls the volume on the receiver, but again with zero sound output. ARC is set to on in the receiver and on the TV. I'm at a loss as to why the control is there, but with no sound.

Could it still be a cabling issue even though volume can be controlled and the cable is known to be able to pass 4K HDR content? Is there something else I'm missing?

Any input would be great, I would love to get this working correctly for my buddy!

MrNikeR

Hey guys! I just put this receiver in a theater room for a buddy and have encountered some really odd ARC behavior, hopefully it's something simple I'm missing and you guys can help.

Receiver is connected to TV via 18Gbps HDMI cable.
HD Blu-Ray player is connected to the receiver.
TV receives 4K HDR signal from the receiver when watching movies.
When watching a local source on the TV, the receiver automatically switches to TV Audio, but there is no sound at all. The TV remote controls the volume on the receiver, but again with zero sound output. ARC is set to on in the receiver and on the TV. I'm at a loss as to why the control is there, but with no sound.

Could it still be a cabling issue even though volume can be controlled and the cable is known to be able to pass 4K HDR content? Is there something else I'm missing?

Any input would be great, I would love to get this working correctly for my buddy!
Is the AVR connected to Monitor 1 to the TV

MrNikeR

Silly question but have you also connected Optical output to the AVR