Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I’d tweak it in the App probably, but tbh not sure if one method is better or worse!?! I know the Dirac / Arcam used to get it wrong and that was with a UMIK mic, not the tiny plastic thing D&M give you. Maybe this is where measuring after with REW comes into its own, but then that’s a whole other level that I’m guessing many don’t want to bother with..

UMAR 3:16

Phew, thanks.... was worried for a minute, really excited to get it all configured and setup. Hope Atmos sounds good compared to the Atmos soundbars I had. :)
If you set it up properly, there wont be a comparison. Take your time with calibration don’t rush it, follow the on screen instructions and make sure the room is silent.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I didn’t need to tweak mine tbh, so maybe if off, check the positioning and phase and maybe rerun cal if needed then as last resort tweak manually

gibbsy

Phew, thanks.... was worried for a minute, really excited to get it all configured and setup. Hope Atmos sounds good compared to the Atmos soundbars I had. :)
It will. :thumbsup:

UMAR 3:16

I didn’t need to tweak mine tbh, so maybe if off, check the positioning and phase and maybe rerun cal if needed then as last resort tweak manually
What is your Current sub level in the amp? And on the sub?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
If you set it up properly, there wont be a comparison. Take your time with calibration don’t rush it, follow the on screen instructions and make sure the room is silent.
And you’re out the room or at least not sat in a position that influences the sound, gaffa tape the kids if required... :)

gibbsy

And you’re out the room or at least not sat in a position that influences the sound, gaffa take the kids if required... :)
If you've not got a mic boom then that is the best way to calibrate. Just make sure you are well behind the last seating position and if possible get right out of the way during the calibration tones. Use all eight positions.

Amazon product

RobTi

No audio from freeview box, so just setting up my new avr and no audio from my humax box, on my last avr (Yamaha RX-a3050) I had to use optical for audio, but thought that was just with that avr, but here I am again with no audio, any help ?
Thanks

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
No audio from freeview box, so just setting up my new avr and no audio from my humax box, on my last avr (Yamaha RX-a3050) I had to use optical for audio, but thought that was just with that avr, but here I am again with no audio, any help ?
Thanks
The amp may need to be configured to get the audio from optical instead of via hdmi on the input assign page. Tbh however if that doesn’t work for you then on your second amp, then may your freeview box is kef00ked...

Roohster

Distinguished Member
To get rid of the eco display turn off the on screen display bit just for eco in the General/eco option menu.
That worked, thanks :)

Not sure about the other osd can you grab the config screen shot for it, for me I thought it was either on or off tbh
This is what I see when starting to watch a Bluray, but not when watching anything else:
BDscreen.jpg

RobTi

The amp may need to be configured to get the audio from optical instead of via hdmi on the input assign page. Tbh however if that doesn’t work for you then on your second amp, then may your freeview box is kef00ked...
Yes that would be correct but why doesn’t it get audio from hdmi ?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member

This is what I see when starting to watch a Bluray, but not when watching anything else:
View attachment 1339536
Do the devices that don't work have their default resolution set to 50/60hz and also with Dolby Vision which is too much bandwidth (above 9gb) for the AVR to overlay graphics onto. Not sure tbh, but if it is, if you set the default res for those devices to be at 24hz or maybe dolby vision off and only come on for films, like in the Apple TV you can set 'Match Content' that may help..

RobTi

Is there an config in the freeview to output audio over hdmi in various formats, maybe an option is set that's not compatible?
No only multi channel or stereo and tried both, I thought it was just my last avr, asking on the humax forums

Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1339536
Also I meant show us a grab of the Video/Output Settings it maybe you have some combination of i/p scaling turned on, I have mine off. Ultimate is 'Video Conversion' off (better picture quality) but many including me prefer 'Video Conversion' on a my avr is not on display. If Video Conversion is on, i/p Scaler should be left off for the best compromise. Presume the overlay of volume control also does not show when not working,

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Also I meant show us a grab of the Video/Output Settings it maybe you have some combination of i/p scaling turned on, I have mine off. Ultimate is 'Video Conversion' off (better picture quality) but many including me prefer 'Video Conversion' on a my avr is not on display. If Video Conversion is on, i/p Scaler should be left off for the best compromise. Presume the overlay of volume control also does not show when not working,
I think I disabled any and all video processing, I'll double check thanks.

(edited to add).. video conversion was for my BluRay input, I'd mistakenly thought switching it off once would be global.
I should imagine that the OSD will be gone now when watching BD?
If so it's no loss really, I was just curious why it only appeared on one source.

Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
No only multi channel or stereo and tried both, I thought it was just my last avr, asking on the human forums
Do you see a pcm / bitstream option, tbh I’d imagine both should work with an AVR but bitstream is best. Sounds like your Freeview box tbh

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have an X4500 with a Humax 2000T PVR, just plug the Humax into an HDMI input and select corresponding input on the denon remote. Make sure that in input assign you set to hdmi for whichever hdmi input you use.

I use hdmi 1 cable/sat on mine.

RobTi

Anyone have a fix for this ?

I have a Ferguson Free sat box connected via hdmi but when I power it on I get picture but no sound and the only solution is to unplug the lead from the back of the Denon and then plug it back in, after that everything plays fine but obviously not something I want to keep doing.

So far i’ve swapped the cables and even used an older but reliable non high speed type. I also used a different input on the Denon, same results but at least it tells me the problem is with how the Ferguson is talking to the 4500 rather than a faulty amp.

None of the other connected devices have any issues.
@mikemag did you ever get this resolve, I am in the same position with a humax freeview box ?

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I did, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was :)

When I get home I’ll have a look and see if anything jumps out at me.

RobTi

Setting up my avr and I have 2 legacy devices (around 10 years old at least) to connect, a freeview recorder and satellite recorder both have no audio but I get audio back if I switch the monitor out to the unused one (2 in this case) switch the monitor back on and I lose audio, also if I switch hdmi to standard I get audio but obviously lose DV switch back to enhanced and I get DV back but lose audio on these two devices. So have connected them via the optical inputs. So question is why ?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett