Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Ah I see (I think), do you mean that I might have adjusted the curtain/filer before calibrating?

If so, no I don't think I did.

You can adjust the curtain at any time after taking measurements, Say upload it with it set to 20khz, then go back into the app, drag the curtain back to 1khz and then reupload without having to take measurements. The left is what is measured, the right is what it will look like with EQ based on the settings for target sound, midrange dip, curve and filter range / curtain etc on.

Have reloaded my pictures of calibration on previous post 2-3 up which may show it better..

Your off result looks like the centres eq is off altogether which I don't know how to do unless you've pulled the curtain right back

Thanks again, I just ran another setup and this time the centre is spot on. :)

Thanks for your help and yes, your pictures make sense now that you updated them.

You shouldn't need to do new readings, it's all in the app, I suspect you or the app somehow dragged it back for just the centre, but if creating a new one has worked for you and done the same thing then that's cool. :thumbsup:

Ok, I did that:

View attachment 1338923

Doesn't that just ignore the frequencies above 1k though?
My centre results look "off" across the whole range.

View attachment 1338924

(Thanks for your patience. Sorry about all the questions, first time I've used MultEQ/Audyssey)
Also just spotted in your pictures, your results graphs were for the centre but you were dragging the curtain back for the front not the centre. :)

Also just spotted in your pictures, your results graphs were for the centre but you were dragging the curtain back for the front not the centre. :)

Ah, thanks again! Still getting to grips with Audyssey :p

Another question if I may: A guide I watched the other day said "make a copy" in MultEQ,
I couldn't find that option.

On my iPad I can send a copy, if I send a copy and save it on my iCloud, then if I rename it to a name that does not clash with any existing names I can then click the + button on the top left (not the one on the desktop with create new under it) and I get the option to browse, if I browse to the location the renamed copy is I can then import it back in as a second copy.

Just Had my Denon AVR-X4500 and Dali Oberon 7.1.2 setup HAA calibrated by Steve Kemp and just WOW! It is so good listening to some demo clips almost brought be to tears it sounded so good. Honestly thought the Audyssey did a great Job and how wrong was I. He also did my LG650LEDE9 and my setup is now perfect for my room and budget.

Last edited:
Interesting, what does a calibrator for to an audio system beyond what you can do with the mic etc? 😎

Interesting, what does a calibrator for to an audio system beyond what you can do with the mic etc? 😎
For me the, after numerous attempts, the Audyssey never gave me satisfying results in my room. The calibrator using his positional advice, equipment, ears and more importantly years of experience has given me an exemplary sound.

Yes agree, I’m sure if you’re not that way inclined or into it, the extra results are well worth the outlay. I enjoy having a play and learning, I’m a techie at heart and for a living. I will often get stuff just to learn it and see what it can and can’t do, I tend to do this anyway with IT so it just naturally extends to most things that are technical to me, I’m a natural instinctive (not necessarily good) do it yourself person.. I find it half the fun of the hobby..

My Denon AVR-4500H is arriving today :D Yay!
Going to set it up for a 5.1.2 configuration with the following speakers.

L - Jamo D6LCR
C - Jamo D6LCR
R - Jamo D6LCR
LS - Jamo D6SUR
RS - Jamo D6SUR
Sub - Jamo D6SUB
Atmos L - SVS Prime Elevation
Atmos R - SVS Prime Elevation

I will have 4x unused Jamo D6SUR speakers as I think going with any more speakers will be too much for the room.

Last edited:
I've had my 4500 a couple of days now and loving it so far :)
After much faffing with Audyssey and MultEQ it's sounding amazing.

Prior to this I'd had a string of Pioneers so I was expecting some differences, but... wow.

I'd always noticed a slight "hole" in the surround field midway down the side walls, but that has completely gone now.
The "steering" also seems really precise. I watched Midway last night and the numerous flyovers and dogfights showed seamless panning.

The one tiny thing I've yet to get to my satisfaction is the sub, it seems a tiny bit lacking but that could just be a case of tweaking it by a couple of dB.

I was also told the 4500 could run hot so I got one of these, an Aircom S6, seems to do a great job.
aircom.jpg

I have another question that I've been unable to find an answer for, regarding the on-screen display:
When I watch a BluRay, the info appears on screen when I adjust the volume... but not on any other source (SKY Q, Nvidia Shield). Any ideas?

Oh and ... is there any way to get rid of the "eco/energy bar" on screen (eco is turned off)?

To get rid of the eco display turn off the on screen display bit just for eco in the General/eco option menu.

not sure about the other osd can you grab the config screen shot for it, for me I thought it was either on or off tbh

just tweak the sub to your liking but adjusting the level manually or maybe moving it’s position or phase slightly

To get rid of the eco display turn off the on screen display bit just for eco in the General/eco option menu.

not sure about the other osd can you grab the config screen shot for it, for me I thought it was either on or off tbh

just tweak the sub to your liking but adjusting the level manually or maybe moving it’s position or phase slightly
Is it not recommended to tweak the sub via the amp settings?

Also I would run eco mode on auto. So when it’s running low volume it’s running eco and when you turn it up the power kicks in.

I've had my 4500 a couple of days now and loving it so far :)
After much faffing with Audyssey and MultEQ it's sounding amazing.

Prior to this I'd had a string of Pioneers so I was expecting some differences, but... wow.

I'd always noticed a slight "hole" in the surround field midway down the side walls, but that has completely gone now.
The "steering" also seems really precise. I watched Midway last night and the numerous flyovers and dogfights showed seamless panning.

The one tiny thing I've yet to get to my satisfaction is the sub, it seems a tiny bit lacking but that could just be a case of tweaking it by a couple of dB.

I was also told the 4500 could run hot so I got one of these, an Aircom S6, seems to do a great job.
View attachment 1339445

I have another question that I've been unable to find an answer for, regarding the on-screen display:
When I watch a BluRay, the info appears on screen when I adjust the volume... but not on any other source (SKY Q, Nvidia Shield). Any ideas?

Oh and ... is there any way to get rid of the "eco/energy bar" on screen (eco is turned off)?
My Denon AVR-4500H is going on a open A/V rack, do you think I need a Aircom S6? mmmm

My Denon AVR-4500H is going on a open A/V rack, do you think I need a Aircom S6? mmmm
I didn’t bother with it as mine was in an open space. Gave me zero issues

Also I would run eco mode on auto. So when it’s running low volume it’s running eco and when you turn it up the power kicks in.
Why it only saves something like ~30 watts?
I didn’t like the sound, so then when searching read this and a few other articles which ultimately put me off :-

ACD335C1-8847-4066-87E9-D8BB9348D3E4.jpeg

I didn’t bother with it as mine was in an open space. Gave me zero issues
Me neither, I do have one but found it a little distracting in my lounge, also what temperature is right for the amp? I’m not sure tbh. Just because I think it’s hot doesn’t mean it’s not the optimal heat for the amp to operate at.
I also did wonder, does the cooler actually impede the amps natural airflow and so actually increase its temp slightly meaning it’s a self perpetuating need. I do still use one in my PJ room, but to be honest not sure it’s strictly necessary.

Why it only saves something like ~30 watts?
I didn’t like the sound, so then when searching read this and a few other articles which ultimately put me off :-

View attachment 1339470

Gulp :eek: Most of my speakers are 4-ohms..... anything I should watch out for?

My Jamo speakers are 4 ohms and the Prime Elevations are 8 ohms. Problem?

Gulp :eek: Most of my speakers are 4-ohms..... anything I should watch out for?

My Jamo speakers are 4 ohms and the Prime Elevations are 8 ohms. Problem?
Nothing. The 4500 will make the internal adjustments

How about the sub? You said manually increase the volume. Is it not recommended to increase the volume via the amp?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom