Denon AVR-X4500H Dolby Atmos

Djuganight

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My Denon 4500 and also the smartphone app does not show the input speakers when it's playing in Dolby Atmos.
It does show the input speakers if I choose any other sound format.
Today I made a factory reset but the situation is the same.
Is this normal?
Thanks

20200616-185209.jpg

20200616-185237.jpg

Atmos isn't a channel based format so wouldn't have channels that correspond to speakers that would be indicated by the iincoming signal indicators.

Atmos is basically metadata telling the AV receiver which aspects of the audio are objects and how these objects should be conveyed arounf a 3D space. THe AV receiver reads this metadata and maps those objects to your specific speaker layout in order to convey the objects around your room as closely as possioble to how they would have been portrayed when the soundtrack was mixed.

Thank you.
So all denon avr will not show the input speakers when playing Dolby atmos is that it?

All AV receivers are the same. You cannot indicate something that isn't available for the AV receiver to indicate.

Atmos is an object based format and not channel based.

Thanks a lot. I was getting afraid that my receiver had done kind of issue.
Normally is recommended to show the input or the output speakers?
I always use to show the output but now I have been using the input?

Simply use the output option to show which speakers are being engaged by the AV receiver.

The Denon will show Dolby Atmos when receiving a Atmos embedded signal. It will also show DTS:X Master when receiving a DTS:X signal. For non Atmos Dolby TrueHD the display will Dolby TrueHD with any up mixing source you may have selected by showing +DDS or +Neural:X.

You can also confirm by pressing the Info button on the remote.

He wanted to know why the incoming signal speaker indicators were not lighting up when handling Atmos encoded audio. I had to explain that Atmos isn't a channel based format so no channels would be associated with the speakers relative to the incoming signal.

He wanted to know why the incoming signal speaker indicators were not lighting up when handling Atmos encoded audio. I had to explain that Atmos isn't a channel based format so no channels would be associated with the speakers relative to the incoming signal.
On the 4500, as with most Denons, you can set up the channel display to show incoming channel indicators or outgoing, outgoing being default. If the Denon receives the Atmos encoded Dolby then it will show Atmos channels as being active providing the 4500 has been properly configured. You would also get the main display confirmation with 'Dolby Atmos'.

Channel Indicators
Sets whether to use the input signal display or output signal display for the channel indication on the display.
Input:Uses the input signal display for the channel indication on the display.
Output
(Default):
Uses the output signal display for the channel indication on the display.

Ok, but when the sound is in Dolby Atmos and I have choose the Input Signal Display, it will not display the speakers. All other formats do

Ok, but when the sound is in Dolby Atmos and I have choose the Input Signal Display, it will not display the speakers. All other formats do
Odd. If I have time I'll check my 6500 later today.

If your soundbar doesn't support eARC and the Apple TV is using ARC, should the ATV still be set to PCM to get multichannel audio?
On the 4500, as with most Denons, you can set up the channel display to show incoming channel indicators or outgoing, outgoing being default. If the Denon receives the Atmos encoded Dolby then it will show Atmos channels as being active providing the 4500 has been properly configured. You would also get the main display confirmation with 'Dolby Atmos'.

Channel Indicators
Sets whether to use the input signal display or output signal display for the channel indication on the display.
Input:Uses the input signal display for the channel indication on the display.
Output
(Default):
Uses the output signal display for the channel indication on the display.

Yes I know.

The OP wanted to know why there were no speakers being indicated when he had the display set to show the incoming audio configuration if and when dealing with Atmos.

The answer is that Atmos isn;t a channel based format and as such would not include any channels that would illuminate the speaker indicators. The INPUT option will result in no speakers being illuminated when handling Atmos. There are no channels to engage the speaker dispklays depiction of the speakers.

Yes I know.

The OP wanted to know why there were no speakers being indicated when he had the display set to show the incoming audio configuration if and when dealing with Atmos.

The answer is that Atmos isn;t a channel based format and as such would not include any channels that would illuminate the speaker indicators. The INPUT option will result in no speakers being illuminated when handling Atmos. There are no channels to engage the speaker dispklays depiction of the speakers.
You're right. Just says Dolby Atmos on the display, just tried an Atmos title with the 6500 which really is all the confirmation you need. I would say the output display if more meaningful as it confirms what speakers in your set up are actually active.

It is the same regardless of the make or model of AV receiver. For example, here's the audio info screen from a Yamaha RXA1050:

IMG_0431.jpeg

There's no input channels indicated because Atmos is an object based anfd not a channel based format. If it were to indicate all the speakers it could potentially support then you'd not be able to fit this information on the front displauy of an AV receiver. THe AV receiver itself creates the channels relative to your particular setup.

The only information you'd get relative to channels is the channels the AV receiver is outputting post processing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom