Denon AVR X4500 not upscaling

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gibsy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Gibsy

Gibsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    Can anyone assist with the issue I am currently having. I have the above AVR connected by HDMI to a SONY ZD9 TV. All my other pieces of kit i.e SKY Q, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Switch etc are connected to the AVR by their own HDMI.
    I have set conversion to On, i/p scaler to HDMI and the upscaling resolution to Auto (sometimes I change this to 4k) The only signal I can get the AVR to upscale is a Sky Q 1080i, it simply leaves all other signals from all kit untouched.
    I appreciate I should probably leave this feature Off but just wanted to see the effect.
    Thanks in advance.

2. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I appreciate your frustration as these amps take a little learning. Personally I would let the TV do the upscaling as generally TVs have much better scalers in than AV Amps.

If you set it to AUTO the scaler will select 'the most appropriate resolution for the TV' which for PS4Pro and XBone will be 4k as that is the native input.
    For Sky Q I am guessing that the EDID information from the SKY Q Box is telling your AV Amp scaler that it can handle 4k natively and that is why it switches to 4k. As for your Switch as that is only 1080p that is why it doesnt scale to 4k when it is on AUTO as 1080P is its native resolution.
    If you want to force sources to scale to 4K you need to change the setting from AUTO to 4K to force it to scale.

3. navarro67

navarro67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Everything @mushii said :) However I would disagree somewhat on the upscaling capabilities of this particular model, at least in contrast to the upscaling capability of an LG C7 series OLED. I didn't buy the AVR for it's upscaling capabilities, didn't really consider it at all! But I was genuinely surprised to see it outperform the LG in my case

4. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I did say that 'generally' TVs do better job but in some cases a higher end AVR may have a better scaler,

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,651
    The video processing abilities of AV receivers are far less sophisticated than you'd get via even 4K Tvs at the budget end of the market. It doesn't take much to work out that the price people are paying for an AV receiver doesn't allow a manufacturer to incorporate high end video processing within such AV receivers. The higher tier receivers tend to use the same video chipset incorporated into models below them. The only major difference between the entry level and the mid level receivers is the ability to convert analogue to HDMI. A flagship model will not incorporate a better video processor than the mid range models below it. AV receivers are not video processors. The AVRX4500 uses the exact same video processor as you'd get onboard the AVRX3500 and above. THe chipset used onboard the AVRX2500 is technically no worse, although Denon do for some reason not fascilitate some of the abilities you would be party to if using models higher up the ladder.

AV receiver manufacturers don't even bother mentioning the video chipset they use anymore. They are using generic chipsets and not third party scaling solutions.

If you want video processing, buy a video processor and not an AV receiver. A good one worth using will cost you about two to three times what the AVRX4500 retails for.

AV Receivers With Video Conversion Capabilities

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. navarro67

navarro67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've no doubt you're right mushii, and like I said I certainly wasn't expecting it either! That was just sharing my experience with this model AVR and a specific tv.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,434
    'The only signal I can get the AVR to upscale is a Sky Q 1080i, it simply leaves all other signals from all kit untouched' - are your PS4 Pro and XB1X not Outputting a 2160p signal already?

Joe

8. Gibsy

Gibsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice so far. A couple of points if I may..
    Based on the AVR manual if I leave the setting on Auto then it should upscale to what the TV is capable of receiving.
    The PS4 and Xbox do output already a 2160P signal but I just reduced them to check if upscaling kicked in and unfortunately it didn't. I read somewhere that you can 'reset' this AVR...could that be needed?
    Thanks again.

9. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    You have set the individual resolutions for each HDMI input for 4k as well?

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    I can't really see why, part from a marketing point, manufacturers bother putting video scaling on receivers especially when the connected displays more often than not do a far better job. I rather have the money spent on the development and inclusion of upscaling spent on the audio side which is, after all, what we have bought the darn thing for.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,434
    Reset - may be worth running, though keep in mind all of your audio settings, Source labelling etc will usually have to be recalibrated once you run the reset.

AVR Output settings - it looks like you need to set the i/P Scaler to On for each Source device and set what the Output format is you want the scaler to deliver.

Marketing - agreed that is the only reason to include an up-scaler chip, you can end up 'purchasing' the same chip/licence three or four times within a Source > AVR > Display signal path.

Joe

12. av2011

av2011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I can't get any audio or video from Sky Q connected to Sony Af8 by hdmi (ARC)

I saw in av forums some problems with Sky Q and Denon 4500

Any solution please Gibsy as you dont seem to have this problem with Sony TV