Denon Avr-x4400h or Marantz sr6015

Rizvi

Standard Member
Hi.
I need some suggestions from the folks out there. Recently I got a good deal on Denon Avr X4400h receiver. But before that I ordered Marantz sr6015. I can get the denon x4400h for atleast 600usd less than the Marantz sr6015. My primary use case will be movies at 4k dolby atmos 5.2.4. Not that much into gaming.
Now I am confused between the two since the denon avr is 2 years old. I really dont want to get caught up with the latest feature jurgens.

I would appriciate your sincere opinion that should spend extra bucks on latest and greatest or the Denon is ok?
Thank you all

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The SR6015 is perhaps more of a direct comparison to the Denon X3700. The X4400 younger sibling the X4700 sits a tier above where the SR6015 would find itself. You would pay a premium for Marantz models over the comparable Denon because of the HDAM circuitry in the Marantz is considered to be superior for stereo music reproduction.

The main differences, as you have pointed out, is the up to date features found on the Marantz. However as this is of no interest to you then the main difference would be the difference in power output, 110 watts into 8 ohms 2 channels driven on the Marantz, 125 watts into 8 ohms 2 channels driven on the Denon.

$600 is a big difference in cost and the X4400 is a very good amp indeed. You will be forgoing the fall back of a warranty should any thing go wrong. It's only a choice you can make but apart from up to date hardware and a better stereo music performance then the Denon has more power, is sitting in a higher tier than the Marantz and a very able filmatic performance. Consider that a new X4700 would cost you (in the UK) £1400 as opposed to £1150 for the Marantz.

gibbsy

@Rizvi I've moved your question here as it is a more appropriate and your likely to get more answers.

alebonau

I agree with gibbsy... denon and Marantz are cousins abs slightly different under the skin. Sonically Marantz has touch Warner sound but this is subtle. Marantz has a more music focus down to their music matters ideology. So as subtle differences are abs keeping in mind it’s possible prefer sound of one over the other.

If wanting a blow by blow feature by feature comparison the us - Zk elec site is good for that,

What will find is as go up the denon / Marantz model range what tend to get is better pre and processing, better dac and or implementation, better analog stage, better power supply and power stages and heat sinking

The 6015 is model lower in rung and miss on lot if things the denon will do better. The Marantz is gen newer so does bring latest hdmi and smattering of newer things suspect you or most don’t need or can work around

My primary use case will be movies at 4k dolby atmos 5.2.4. Not that much into gaming.

For your use case I would as suggested by gibbsy go the denon. Save the bucks abs get the model up.

Rizvi

Standard Member
Welcome to the Forum.

The SR6015 is perhaps more of a direct comparison to the Denon X3700. The X4400 younger sibling the X4700 sits a tier above where the SR6015 would find itself. You would pay a premium for Marantz models over the comparable Denon because of the HDAM circuitry in the Marantz is considered to be superior for stereo music reproduction.

The main differences, as you have pointed out, is the up to date features found on the Marantz. However as this is of no interest to you then the main difference would be the difference in power output, 110 watts into 8 ohms 2 channels driven on the Marantz, 125 watts into 8 ohms 2 channels driven on the Denon.

$600 is a big difference in cost and the X4400 is a very good amp indeed. You will be forgoing the fall back of a warranty should any thing go wrong. It's only a choice you can make but apart from up to date hardware and a better stereo music performance then the Denon has more power, is sitting in a higher tier than the Marantz and a very able filmatic performance. Consider that a new X4700 would cost you (in the UK) £1400 as opposed to £1150 for the Marantz.
Thanks a lot for your quick and rather clear answer. I am actually getting the Denon with 4 years warranty and for 680£. I was so freaken confused but I found your reply quite helpful.

Rizvi

Standard Member
I agree with gibbsy... denon and Marantz are cousins abs slightly different under the skin. Sonically Marantz has touch Warner sound but this is subtle. Marantz has a more music focus down to their music matters ideology. So as subtle differences are abs keeping in mind it’s possible prefer sound of one over the other.

If wanting a blow by blow feature by feature comparison the us - Zk elec site is good for that,

What will find is as go up the denon / Marantz model range what tend to get is better pre and processing, better dac and or implementation, better analog stage, better power supply and power stages and heat sinking

The 6015 is model lower in rung and miss on lot if things the denon will do better. The Marantz is gen newer so does bring latest hdmi and smattering of newer things suspect you or most don’t need or can work around

For your use case I would as suggested by gibbsy go the denon. Save the bucks abs get the model up.
Thank you for the suggestions. It means a lot for me. I was totally confused. I wasn't even sure that these latest tech how much they are required.

alebonau

Thank you for the suggestions. It means a lot for me. I was totally confused. I wasn't even sure that these latest tech how much they are required.
i understand, it can be quite bamboozling ! :D the OEMS dont help either with the new models every year trying to convince need latest and greatest. truth is for your use case anything from 2016 onwards will do tech wise :)

Thanks a lot for your quick and rather clear answer. I am actually getting the Denon with 4 years warranty and for 680£. I was so freaken confused but I found your reply quite helpful.
this is a fantastic deal and will be very pleased with your choice i think !

gibbsy

I'm not the least bit concerned with the new additions and bought a X6500 last year. I will keep it for another four at least as that is the remainder of the warranty I have on the unit. Always had Denon, easy to use and set up with good reliability. Looks like you have a bargain with the X4400.

Rizvi

Standard Member
I'm not the least bit concerned with the new additions and bought a X6500 last year. I will keep it for another four at least as that is the remainder of the warranty I have on the unit. Always had Denon, easy to use and set up with good reliability. Looks like you have a bargain with the X4400.
Agreed. Its now quite clear. All I wanted eARC and 4k with dolby atmos. To reiterate your point, its a bargain. Thank you again. I will definitely pick the denon over Marantz sr6015. I must admit that I was bit lost in the 8k Imax enhanced and and hdmi 2.1. But none of these actually relevant for beginners like me I guess. Anyway thanks a lot.

alebonau

Agreed. Its now quite clear. All I wanted eARC and 4k with dolby atmos. To reiterate your point, its a bargain. Thank you again. I will definitely pick the denon over Marantz sr6015. I must admit that I was bit lost in the 8k Imax enhanced and and hdmi 2.1. But none of these actually relevant for beginners like me I guess. Anyway thanks a lot.
if wanting earc then definitely anything post 2018 will do it. there is one other thing and thats hdr10+ that the marantz gets but thats a dead dodo of a thing anyways !

with hdmi 2.1 sound united (denon and marantz) are suggesting to plug hdmi 21 devices straight into your TV and use earc to AVR anyways ..... imax enhanced is very limited in movies... 8k has little relevance to home

as long as does what you want, thats all thats important :)

martin 39

I have been in the same boat for a while now and recently picked up a used 4400h. I was looking at the 4700h but just no need for 8k so saved the money for my celing and new side speakers. That all came in cheaper than the price of a 4700h

Rizvi

Standard Member
if wanting earc then definitely anything post 2018 will do it. there is one other thing and thats hdr10+ that the marantz gets but thats a dead dodo of a thing anyways !

with hdmi 2.1 sound united (denon and marantz) are suggesting to plug hdmi 21 devices straight into your TV and use earc to AVR anyways ..... imax enhanced is very limited in movies... 8k has little relevance to home

as long as does what you want, thats all thats

I have been in the same boat for a while now and recently picked up a used 4400h. I was looking at the 4700h but just no need for 8k so saved the money for my celing and new side speakers. That all came in cheaper than the price of a 4700h
In my case its probably even easier decision to take since I wasn't even considering 4700h. I could mostly afford x3700h or marantz sr6015. Initially I will mostly use it for streaming with TV. So was looking something has dolby atmos and mainly eARC.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom