• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Denon AVR-X4300H/X6300H or Yamaha RX-A870/A1070?

EeK9X

Novice Member
My Denon AVR-X2000 is toast, after less than four years.

I really liked it, but when something unexpected happens to any of my electronics, I tend to become traumatized and switch brands, so I'm now considering Yamaha for an upgrade.

I've narrowed down my choices to:

a) Denon AVR-X4300H or Yamaha RX-A870;
b) Denon AVR-X6300H or Yamaha RX-A1070.

Both options have receivers that are similarly priced where I live (Yamahas are usually more expensive here). The reason why I didn't list just the higher end models is that I don't want to pay for something from which I won't ever benefit (I'm not an audiophile by any means).

I'm currently running a 6.1 setup with in-ceiling JBL speakers. I may upgrade to a 7.1.2/5.1.4 setup in the future to benefit from said speakers. Having the option to upgrade to full-blown 7.2.4 would be nice, but it's not a necessity. My main uses are 4K HDR gaming at 60fps and movie watching/streaming.

I understand that the X6300H is an 11.2 receiver, while the X4300H is 9.2 but can process 11.2 channels with the use of an external amp. Both the A870 and the A1070 are 7.2, but I'm not sure if they can process extra channels.

All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yamaha A1060 /A860 - 7.2-channel Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ (5.1.2-ch)

Yamaha A-2060 - 9.2-channel Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ (7.1.2-ch or 5.1.4-ch)

Yamaha A-3060 - 9.2-channel with Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™ and CINEMA DSP HD3 (7.1.2-ch or 5.1.4-ch) / 11.2-channel processing (up to 7.2.4-ch expandability with external 2-ch amplifier)

Same goes for the new 2017 models (70 serie), so it seems that Denon would be better choice for you with those prices. A860/A870 is usually compared to Denon X3300 and many feels the Denon is the better one, so if you can get X4300H for same price it`s great deal! If you feel unsafe, maybe look if you can buy some kind of extended warranty. The normal warranty for Denon / Marantz in US is 3years, don`t know how long in Brazil. Be sure to look if some hifi store extends the warranty. Example in UK Peter Tyson gives 5year warranty to top 3 Aventage models.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I understand that the X6300H is an 11.2 receiver, while the X4300H is 9.2 but can process 11.2 channels with the use of an external amp. Both the A870 and the A1070 are 7.2, but I'm not sure if they can process extra channels.

No, neither can process more than 7 channels and other no option to add additional channels of amplification externally. You'd need either the RXA2070 or the 3070 if wanting a setup with more than 7 channels and only the A3070 fascilitates adding an additional 2 channels of external amplification to its integral 7 channels.

If you wanted a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup then only the Denon options or a Yamaha RXA2070 or A3070 would give you this possibility. If you ever wanted a 7.1.4 setup then only the Denon receivers or the A3070 would be able to fascilitate you with this, but you would need 2 channels of external amplification if using either the RXA3070 or the AVRX4300.

EeK9X

Novice Member
Same goes for the new 2017 models (70 serie), so it seems that Denon would be better choice for you with those prices. A860/A870 is usually compared to Denon X3300 and many feels the Denon is the better one, so if you can get X4300H for same price it`s great deal! If you feel unsafe, maybe look if you can buy some kind of extended warranty. The normal warranty for Denon / Marantz in US is 3years, don`t know how long in Brazil. Be sure to look if some hifi store extends the warranty. Example in UK Peter Tyson gives 5year warranty to top 3 Aventage models.

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the Yamaha receivers and also for your suggestion!

Unfortunately, there are no official retailers in Brazil, so we're forced to buy form third-party resellers, and warranty is simply not an option here, hence my apprehension.

No, neither can process more than 7 channels and other no option to add additional channels of amplification externally. You'd need either the RXA2070 or the 3070 if wanting a setup with more than 7 channels and only the A3070 fascilitates adding an additional 2 channels of external amplification to its integral 7 channels.

If you wanted a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup then only the Denon options or a Yamaha RXA2070 or A3070 would give you this possibility. If you ever wanted a 7.1.4 setup then only the Denon receivers or the A3070 would be able to fascilitate you with this, but you would need 2 channels of external amplification if using either the RXA3070 or the AVRX4300.

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions, as well!

Anything above the X6300H and the A1070 is beyond my budget, unfortunately, so I may end up sticking with Denon, after all.

EeK9X

Novice Member
The Denon 4300 , as the 6300 has known issues , check out the forums

Thanks for letting me know. I'd heard about the X6300H issues, but I thought that they'd been sorted out by Denon. Apparently not, according to some users at the official thread.

That's worrisome, especially as some are reporting that even some Marantz receivers and the X4300H have the same problem (although it hasn't been exactly confirmed for the X4300H).

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom