Denon Avr-x4200w Power On Issue

eddiem74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Denon Avr-x4200w and over the last few days when I turn on TV via a harmony remote activity the TV and SkyQ box turn on however the Denon does not react and remains with the red light showing beside the power on button on the front of the unit.

Manually pressing the power on button does nothing either.

If I turn power off and then back on at the power socket the Denon turns on and is then fully functional until the next day when same issue occurs again.

I think there was very quick power outage at the weekend as the TV turned off and lights flickered but our home never lost full power - perhaps this has caused something?

Anyone any ideas? I've tried powering everything off and then back on but no luck, issue still exists.

Thought's welcome.

Have you tried power off for 10 minutes then powering back up? If that fails then leave the power off over night. Power on your Denon first then the connected devices and that might force a new handshake and cure the issue.

Have you tried power off for 10 minutes then powering back up? If that fails then leave the power off over night. Power on your Denon first then the connected devices and that might force a new handshake and cure the issue.
I did power off the Denon for a bit at one point, possibly around 10mins or a bit longer.

I will leave off overnight tonight, should TV and Sky also be left off too?

I did power off the Denon for a bit at one point, possibly around 10mins or a bit longer.

I will leave off overnight tonight, should TV and Sky also be left off too?
Yes, to force a new handshake. If you have SkyQ then you will have to wait for it to re-boot, so perhaps leave that on as it's a pain in the arris. Leave the TV off as that is probably the main handshake issue. Failing that you may have to re-set the Denon to factory settings. You can save your settings.

Save & Load​

Save and restore device settings by using a USB memory device.

Use a USB memory device that has at least 128 MB of free space and is formatted to FAT32. Data may not Save/Load correctly to some USB memory devices.
It may take up to 10 minutes for data to Save/Load. Do not turn off the power until the process is complete.

Save Configuration​

Current unit settings are stored on the USB memory device.
When the settings are saved correctly, “Saved” appears on the display and the file “config.avr” is created on the USB memory device.

Do not change the file name of the created file. Doing so will prevent the file from being recognized as a settings file when restoring.

Load Configuration​

Settings saved on the USB memory device are restored.
When the saved settings are restored correctly, “Loaded” appears on the display and the unit automatically restarts.

Yes, to force a new handshake. If you have SkyQ then you will have to wait for it to re-boot, so perhaps leave that on as it's a pain in the arris. Leave the TV off as that is probably the main handshake issue. Failing that you may have to re-set the Denon to factory settings. You can save your settings.

Save & Load​

Save and restore device settings by using a USB memory device.

Use a USB memory device that has at least 128 MB of free space and is formatted to FAT32. Data may not Save/Load correctly to some USB memory devices.
It may take up to 10 minutes for data to Save/Load. Do not turn off the power until the process is complete.

Save Configuration​

Current unit settings are stored on the USB memory device.
When the settings are saved correctly, “Saved” appears on the display and the file “config.avr” is created on the USB memory device.

Do not change the file name of the created file. Doing so will prevent the file from being recognized as a settings file when restoring.

Load Configuration​

Settings saved on the USB memory device are restored.
When the saved settings are restored correctly, “Loaded” appears on the display and the unit automatically restarts.

Turned everything off Wednesday night before bed and then Thursday morning turned everything back on one at a time leaving 10-15mins between each: Denon, TV and then SkyQ.

Later in the day turned on the TV activity via the harmony remote and everything turned on.

This afternoon my wife went to turn on the TV activity again and Denon did not come on.

Looks like a reset is the next option?

So prior to doing the reset I wanted to back-up the configuration. Per the manual I needed to use the Web Gui to complete this step so when I went to source the network IP from the receiver it appeared the network connection was inactive - I had the AVR connected via Ethernet cable and in the past had downloaded updates, etc, without issue.

So from some reading around I decided to reboot the network module to try and solve the network issue however when I executed the reboot process it seemed to try to trigger an update and I get stuck in the "Please wait.....Update Retry" loop somehow?

After waiting for a long time, I tried to then reset the AVR back to factory settings however it did not work "Please wait.....Update Retry" remained.

Some further reading around I found what appeared to be a slightly different option to do a reset, so I followed that and it worked, the unit was set back to default settings.

My power on issue now seems to be resolved however I still do not have network connectivity - any ideas? I tried a different Ethernet cable, etc. to no avail. :confused:

I think there is a bigger issue, retried various resets yesterday and periodically got ethernet showing connected but then receiver went back into "update retry" loop.

Due to resets I also went to run automatic speaker setup and it kept stopping due to ambient noise level which was non-existent.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom