Denon avr-x4000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dlemon, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,
    Just picked up my denon x4000 today about 4.00pm, hooked it up ran the xt32, done the update and ran the Killer's blu-ray in DTS-MA-HD,
    I'm only a novice and wouldn't really say I know a lot about av but 1st impression fantastic,
    Really detailed
    Crisp
    Punchy
    Clear as whistle
    And very sharp at a higher volumes,
    Running it with Kef 3005se, guy in shop said change your front L&R to a decent set of book shelf speakers and it would be a dramatic change again, I know there is a run in period on things like this, but really pleased after a few hours, but what I did notice was that all the speaker levels were set very low, like L&R set at -6, centre level -7, surrounds set at -7 and sub set at -9.5, is this the norm or do I manually increase them,
    but a big step up from Onkyo 609 me thinks
    Thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    The levels are set so that all of the speakers output the same level as measured from your listening position. No, do not alter these levels or the speakers will no longer be calibrated correctly. There's nothing wrong with the levels you've posted. If you do wish to manually adjust them then I'd suggest you use a handheld SPL metre to check the levels and in order to ensure the levels are still balanced in relation to one another, but I see no reason for you to adjust the levels, although the sub's level does indicate that you might want to reduce the sub's own onboard volume and run the calibration again? The level suggests the sub's volume is set a little too high so the amp is having to decrease the level of the signal going out to it in order for its resulting output to achieve the associated reference level.

You may find this of interest, particularly point 3:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok Dante01 so just leave well alone, as I don't know enough about it to tamper with it, just seemed very low

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    The actual level of audio is no lower than you'd be getting from any other correctly calibrated AV setup. The levels are just indications of adjustments the receivers makes to each channel in order that all the speakers are heard as they should be heard in relation to a given standatdised reference level. If youturn the volume up to 0 db on the display then the real audio will equate to 75 db in real terms. The adjustments are a result of the readings taken during the calibration and are applied in order to assure that the speakers all measure 75 db relative to 0 db on the display as measured from your primary listening position. If you alter the levels then the associated speaker will no longer comply with the calibration being applied to the other speakers.

5. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, so I take it when watching a movie or listening to music I need to crank up the volume a fair bit to get reasonable listening volume, and don't really worry about what the main volume control is sitting at

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    You needn't go crazy with the volume. 0db on the display equates to 75db in reality and you can cause permanent hearing damage at levels as low as 95db. Very few people find the need or have a home that would accomoadate them playing audio at 75 or 85db which is the level you'd experience in a moovie theatre. You'd get 100 db at a rock concert and that is why so many of those who frequented rock concerts in their youth now have issues with their hearing. Most people are satified with levels well below the home cinema reference level. Use your ears and not the readout on the display ;)

7. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Dante01,
    Just outta curiosity how many times do I need to run the audyssey xt32, is it a one off thing or do it need to be done a couple of times,
    Thanks

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    After doing the 8 position calibration then you need only do it again if you change your speakers or reposition either them or your location from which you listen to the setup. Other factors such as room furnishings such as carpets, rugs and curtains can also influence your room's acoustic so I'd also suggest running the calibration again if any of these factors ever change.

9. dlemon

dlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok cheers, super job