• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon AVR-X4000 with 4 ohm Speakers

Hofstra01

Novice Member
I apologize for being a complete noob when it comes to this, I've done a bit of research and seem to be confusing myself the more I read. I currently have a Denon AVR-X4000 which I really enjoy. Currently I have a Pro-ject Carbon Debut DC turntable hooked up along with my DefTech Pro Monitor 800 speakers. I'd like to upgrade my speakers to Wharfedale 10.1 Bookshelf speakers which are rated 4ohm. I've spoken with someone at musicdirect who said I should not have an issue connecting these speakers to my system. I would get rid of my current DefTech Speakers or move them to the rear. Is an integrated amplifier (ie. Marantz) needed to power the 10.1's? Can I use both an amplifier in conjunction with my Denon? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The Denon will happily drive 4 ohm speakers, but due to an absurd bit of American legislation, is not publically rated to do so.

The Denon is a well liked amp and will perform nearly as well as a good integrated. You would be adding a fair amount of complexity if you wanted to run both amps, so I would buy the speakers and see how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom