Denon AVR-X4000 upgrade time

Milopita

Standard Member
I am quite interested in upgrading my Denon X4000. I am about to get a 4K TV and want to make sure that my receiver is 4K ready too. Plus there are a few annoyances with the Denon that I don't like:
  • It doesn't seem to work too well getting decent sound of my ceiling mounted rears
  • It has the annoying 'TV audio switching' behaviour (a side effect when using the TV's HDMI-CEC/ARC set to ON is that the AVR will always shift to the "TV Audio" source input when first turned ON)
  • I want to get 4K and HDR ready
  • The mobile app is flaky, particularly streaming from a NAS (Synology)
  • I'm sure there is something else....
I use the Denon mostly with an HTPC and 55" screen (Full HD for the moment) 5.1 Monitor audio setup, as well as another Full HD screen and ceiling mounted speakers in Zone 2. I won't ever have a PJ in the main zone.

Candidates that I am thinking of are:
  1. Denon X3200W
  2. Denon X4200W (not sure I need the extra features..)
  3. Pioneer something....SC-LX59?
Not too bothered by Atmos as I am unlikely to cut, drill, thread, re-plaster, seal and decorate my wiring again in this flat. Can't bear the thought for just a few more speakers really. o_O

Some help deciding from the knowledgeable peeps here is most welcome.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your current dislikes would still exist with any receiver and would still be present even with a more recent model.

I'd wait until there are actually UHD 4K external sources available before rushing out to buy a nw receiver. You'll probably be paying a lot less for one of the current receivers by the time there's any UHD BD players or UHD content worth playing on them?

Milopita

Standard Member
Now I have a 4K TV, an LG 55EG960V. So I am thinking once again of upgrading. Really fed up with the Denon remote app and I hear that the new 2016 version is actually worse in terms of stability.

So I'm looking at Yamaha or Pioneer. The mobile app is really important to me as my electronics are out of sight in a small cupboard (even tough I have an IR pass-through, I can't see the receiver during normal use. Not likely to add more speakers so Atmos not a necessary feature for me. I need two HDMI outs to feed two separate zones, kitchen (TV + stereo speakers) and lounge (TV + 5.1).

Any advice really appreciated.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe look at investing in a Logitech Harmony remote as opposed to limiting your receiver and hardware choices upon which devices have the best control apps? THe Ultimate includes a hub that will fascilitate control of devices using a wifi signal from either the handset or a Harmony app on a mobile device.

Milopita

Standard Member
Control using the remote isn't a problem, I have IR receiver which works fine as I said. I can't see the display and often use the AV receiver to stream music in other rooms, so a remote app is critical for me. I already have a Harmony remote, it doesn't help with streaming as I can't see the display of the receiver or TV.

paupou

Novice Member
I upgraded Denon x4000 to 4k time last week after i bought sony 8505c 4k TV. Went with Anthem MRX520. 4k60hz 4:4:4, ARC, HDMI handshakes and everything is working flawlesly. All is connected through Anthem. Big thumbs up for the set from me. U will be impressed with the sound quality. My Gallos really woke with Anthem.

Milopita

Standard Member
Moving towards the X3200W...

Don't need anything that is in the X3300W and don't need what the 4200W has as well. Can anyone suggest any equivalent receivers from other brands that I should consider? I really don't like the Denon mobile app.

Milopita

Standard Member
I upgraded Denon x4000 to 4k time last week after i bought sony 8505c 4k TV. Went with Anthem MRX520. 4k60hz 4:4:4, ARC, HDMI handshakes and everything is working flawlesly. All is connected through Anthem. Big thumbs up for the set from me. U will be impressed with the sound quality. My Gallos really woke with Anthem.
The Anthem MRX520 is inexplicably expensive, so I have ruled it out.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom