Denon avr-x4000 problem: left channel of surround backs doesnt work

radiomando

Novice Member
im trying to assign the surround backs to zone 2 for patio sound. ive tried everything i can think of and im starting to think the channel is out, though i have my doubts. i have the audio assigned, and get sound out of right channel. i have tested the speaker and the wire that connects to the left surround back and both are working properly. i am looking for advice either to make the left channel work, or to verify once and for whether it is functioning properly. i have assigned the surround backs to zone 2, zone 3, and speaker pair b, and the left channel puts out nothing no matter the configuration. any ideas greatly appeciated. thanks in advance.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Have you switched the left and right cables over on the back of the amp to confirm it is the amp. If it is the amp then the current right speaker will go quiet.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Are you confusing zone2 with zone3? If using three zones then the third zone is mono and can only power one speaker. This would explain why you only get output via the one speaker if you've mistakly assumed the zone3 configuration for the zone2 configuration? Test with only the main zone and zone2 as opposed to testing with all three zones powered up.

radiomando

Novice Member
ok, i worked on this for a long time yesterday. as i tired, i guess my brain fried. when i switch the wires, left to right, and right to left, still only the right speaker works. that would mean bad wire. i just didnt think wire because i had just bought brand new wire. thanks for your input.

radiomando

Novice Member
and now for the punch line! my friend, a professional a/v guy, a good one, cut the left section of the 4 wire and proceeded to wire the cut, ie, dead section to my speaker, leaving the amp connected to nothing. once i figured it was the speaker wire, one quick look proved this. voila, stereo sound on my patio!

Jurski

Novice Member
hi, i own Denon amplifier PMA-1500AE and have connected a pair of standalone speakers (Davis Acoustics Matisse) to it. Now I'm considering a purchase of Denon AVR X4000 for my surround speaker set (Kef 3005 SE).Is there a way to connect the 2 (amp and receiver) so I still have my stereo over amp and a "support" to my upcoming home cinema set (KEF eggs and AVR X4000)? I've heard the Kef eggs sound ideal when having a pair of additional speakers. Please if somebody has this combo (AVR X4000 and KEF 3005 SE), please feed me with your impressions because I still havent purchased the X4000, and now I have a good deal for it. This is my first home cinema pack so I am a noob, stereo is my field for years, and now I want to go "Cinema" :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom