Denon AVR-X3700H No Sound from Surround Back Speakers

Sam S

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've recently installed a Denon AVR-X3700H then proceeded with Audyssey set up. Although generally extremely pleased with the product, in no configuration can I get sound from the surround back left and right speakers. They produced a tone during Audyssey set up and do in manual set up test tone so I don't understand why I can't get sound from them, even in All Channel Stereo. I'm pretty old and this is new tech for me, so it's highly likely I'm overlooking something.

These are my set up details . . .

SPEAKERS/AMP ASSIGN
Assign Mode: 9.1
Floor: 5ch & SB
Height
  • Height Sp: 4 ch
  • Layout: Front Height & Rear Height

SPEAKER CONFIGURATION
Front: Small
Center: Small
Subwoofer: 1 spkr
Surround: Small
Surr. Back: Small
2 spkrs
Front Height: Small
Rear Height: Small

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I think you are running too many channels. I believe the 3700 is the same as my 4400, in that it can process 11 channels but only amplify 9.

It looks like you've set up an 11 channel system? Is that correct?

Left Centre Right
Surrounds
Surround Backs
Front Heights
Rear Heights

Thank you for the reply.

I am running 9.1. Please see attached photo.
tempImageaauvqa.png

Your receiver only has 9 channels of integral amplification and you are assigning 4 of those channels to power 4 height speakers. This would only leave you 5 channels to power the floor level speakers with. You'd need 7 if wanting to add back surrounds.

If wanting back surrounds, you'd either have to sacrifice 2 of your height speakers or add an external 2 channel power amp to your setup. This would then allow you to have r a 7.1.4 setup with the external amp.

As it stands, you are limited to either a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 setup. You cannot have both 4 height speakers and back surrounds without using an external 2 channel power amp.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It's a bit disappointing and misleading that the receiver offers the connections for 11.1 but doesn't provide the amplification.

Now I just have to decide whether to sacrifice the surround backs or the rear heights.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It's a bit disappointing and misleading that the receiver offers the connections for 11.1 but doesn't provide the amplification.

Now I just have to decide whether to sacrifice the surround backs or the rear heights.

The AV receiver is an 9 channel model, but with 11 channel processing. You'd need to add 2 channels of external amplification to utilise all 11 channels of its potential processing.

Denon do not claim it will power more than 9 speakers with its integral amplification.

The AV receiver is an 9 channel model, but with 11 channel processing. You'd need to add 2 channels of external amplification to utilise all 11 channels of its potential processing.

Denon do not claim it will power more than 9 speakers with its integral amplification.
Well noted. I am new to this so I clearly misunderstood. Is there a particular amp model that you might suggest that would work well with my receiver model?

Or you could buy a relatively cheap 2 channel power amp, to give you the full 11 channels of amplification. There's a few reasonably oriced ones in the classifieds on here.

Well noted. I am new to this so I clearly misunderstood. Is there a particular amp model that you might suggest that would work well with my receiver model?

If simply wishing to power the rear heoghts with it then you needn't spend too much on the external amp.

There's a related thread discussing this here on AVForums:

I’ve just listed my 2 channel amp in the classifieds that I was using for this exact role. Mine was a Denon 4400 but, like you, I ran out of channels. It’s an audio lab MPwr.

Don't forget that when you do get the external amplifier, you'll need to set AMP ASSIGN to 11.1 channels. The, once you've set "5ch & SB" for floor and the four heights, it will ask you which two channels you want to use for pre outs only - either FRONTS or HEIGHT 2.

At the moment, you're still in AMP ASSIGN 9.1, and while it shows all 11 channels it will only ever be outputting to 9 of them dependent on your settings/sound mode etc. So until you change that you won't get all 11 active at the same time.

2 Choices - a cheap small amp for the rear height... (don't need anything special or particularly powerful... a tripath powered by a wall wart would probably do the job fine!)

Alternatively - and this depends on the configurability of the AVR... and I'm not familiar with the Denon, so this may not be possible (others will I hope speak up!) - get a high quality stereo or 3 channel amp - and run L/R or L/C/R externally - freeing up at least two internal power amp channels on the assumption that you can re-allocate them to rear height.

The advantage of this - is the speakers that carry the main load at all times (LCR) get more headroom, quality power.... and the AVR, get's less stress on it's power supply, which may improve the performance of it's DAC's and internal Pre circuitry.... - so In theory (if the Denon supports it) - that would be a win-win.... at a price (good amps don't come cheap).

The Denon gives the choice between the front LR or the rear height LRA channels as options for the extra channel amplification. I added a 100WPC stereo amplifier to the front LR.

Last edited:

Having run 7.1.4 with a similar AVR for a couple of years, I can say that it was definitely worth using an external amplifier to power all channels, and not lose any. I appreciate its extra expense, but it was well worth it.

@Sam S @Harkon321 @Jester1066 in the picture shared above it says that it has "auto switching" for the 6 channels that it can only amplify 4 of. Like this:

1649150739663.png

Do either of you know please (or indeed anyone) what the auto switching does? It is not specific in the manual. Sam S, you describe it as "never using the surround backs". But did you try a 7 floor channel source? Maybe if you have that then it sacrifices the rear heights for example? Or gives you a choice? But then what would it do if the source is in 7.x.4?

Basically how does it decide which 4 of the 6 it will output please?

I thought you specify it when you do the auto EQ. It asks you what speaker set up you are using and it tells you where to plug each speaker in to.

I thought you specify it when you do the auto EQ. It asks you what speaker set up you are using and it tells you where to plug each speaker in to.

No, you can set the amp assign to 9.1, then when you run Audyssey with 11 speakers connected it will EQ all 11. It will, as it say, do "auto switching". I just can't find anything that actually explains what it does.

You x4400 will do the same. Have you every tried it with 11 speakers all connected to the AVR, in amp assign 9.1 to see what it does?

I thought it meant that it switches off output to those channels which you've decided to use the preouts for instead.

No I've never tried it.

I thought it meant that it switches off output to those channels which you've decided to use the preouts for instead.

No I've never tried it.

Ahhhh, I get you. No, that's with the 11.1 amp assign.

With the 9.1 assign, you can connect 11 speakers. Then it shows that "auto switching" on the picture like above and the manual says:

1649156323109.png

According to the input signal and sound mode? Oh, cheers for that Denon, thanks that's so clear now. 🤣

I've just set my amp assign to 11.1 - with 5+SB for the floor layout. Then front & rear heights for the atmos.

NB I only have a 5.2.4 setup, but use the front Pre-outs to an Audiolab 6000A.

I could set to either 11.1 but only have floor layout to 5. OR a 9.1 (in amp assign)...

But...

1. I hate the switching clicks (you get on 11.1 with 5 floor speakers)

2. You only get the dedicated front Pre-out option on 11.1, not 9.1

I've just set my amp assign to 11.1 - with 5+SB for the floor layout. Then front & rear heights for the atmos.

NB I only have a 5.2.4 setup, but use the front Pre-outs to an Audiolab 6000A.

I could set to either 11.1 but only have floor layout to 5. OR a 9.1 (in amp assign)...

But...

1. I hate the switching clicks (you get on 11.1 with 5 floor speakers)

2. You only get the dedicated front Pre-out option on 11.1, not 9.1

Yeah, you have chosen IMO the most logical assign for your system.

Just can't believe a google doesn't find anyone who knows the answer about this auto switching. We're talking about the x3600/700, x4300/400/500/700 at minimum (haven't checked others). So, we're talking a lot of people.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom