Denon AVR-X3600H Power

airickm3

Novice Member
I recently got myself a Denon AVR-X3600H that is driving a 5.1 system using Adam T7V / T5V active monitors.

The Denon and all the speakers are plugged into a Kasa smart surge protector. This way I can just tell my Alexa to power on and off all the monitors as needed.

I’ve noticed that even when the Denon is off, it’s drawing a few watts. It’s not a ton, but over the course of a month it adds up to 2 kW h.

So I’m wondering if there’s any issue with powering down the Denon and then cutting power off at the strip. Is that harmful to the unit in any way? How long will the unit save my settings when completely cut off from power? Are there any other issues / reasons not to fully power down in this way?

Thanks in advance!

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd have to tirn the maibs supply off in order to prevent it using anything at all while in standby. You can also dissable some of the features such as HDMI passthrough in standby or the network in standby features in order to reduce the wattage it uses while in standby.

Basically, any device will continue to consume some electricity while it is in standby as opposed to being turned off at the mains.

by default 2022-06-06 at 18.43.52.png

Turn off the mains supply and the AV receiver uses zero watts, but you obviously lose the convenience associated with having it on standby.

Last edited:

airickm3

Novice Member
That's a helpful chart, I'll play around with those settings.

But going back to the original question - since the AV is connected to a smart plug it's incredibly convenient to cut power to it. Provided I put the unit in standby first and then cut power to it, is that damaging to the unit in any way?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
That's a helpful chart, I'll play around with those settings.

But going back to the original question - since the AV is connected to a smart plug it's incredibly convenient to cut power to it. Provided I put the unit in standby first and then cut power to it, is that damaging to the unit in any way?
I've done this using remote control power strips to all my AV gear for well over a decade. No problems so far. The only thing to ensure is that the device(s) are in standby rather than powered on.

Mr Wolf

But going back to the original question - since the AV is connected to a smart plug it's incredibly convenient to cut power to it.
Just make sure the Smart plug itself doesn't use more power than the AVR would in standby. I suspect it might.

airickm3

Novice Member
I've done this using remote control power strips to all my AV gear for well over a decade. No problems so far. The only thing to ensure is that the device(s) are in standby rather than powered on.
Awesome, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for!

Just make sure the Smart plug itself doesn't use more power than the AVR would in standby. I suspect it might.
Probably true, but the smart strip also powers all the speakers, so it’s not going anywhere.

NewAcousticDimension

I’ve noticed that even when the Denon is off, it’s drawing a few watts. It’s not a ton, but over the course of a month it adds up to 2 kW h.

If you turn off the HDMI passthrough, the network standby and the CEC, then (measured) it sits at 0.1w.

That 2.4Wh per day, multiplied by 365.25 (the average year) is 0.877kWh per year.

I don't think it will necessarily damage the unit but I would guess that the PSU is optimised by design to be on standby - that's how most people use it for less than 30p a year.

Mr Wolf

That 2.4Wh per day, multiplied by 365.25 (the average year)
And that's assuming it's on standby 24/7 every day e.g. if it's used for 6 hours a day on average you can reduce that standby consumption by 25%.

NewAcousticDimension

Quick silly question, I assume if all your speakers are active that you have ECO mode on when in use? That saves significant amounts of energy.

At ~6 hours powered on a day, that's roughly .24kWh per day saving. About £2 a month.

Of course, I don't know what the idle consumption is of the speakers' active systems versus the x3600's idle with ECO OFF but you have already chosen the speakers :)

airickm3

Novice Member
Thanks for all the smart ideas re: settings. I also contacted Denon support, who suggested similar things but also confirmed:

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 11.06.58 AM.png

Just in case anyone cruises through here in the future and is curious.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom