Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

I have just upgraded to the AVR-X3600 and plan to use the HEOS app to stream lossless (mostly ALAC) audio files from my Synology 212j NAS, replacing my old setup that used a Sonos Connect connected to the replaced receiver.

My receiver is on a wired network connection and when I use the HEOS app it can see the Synology 'Diskstation' listed but it won't show any content in the 'Music' folder.

I installed Minimserver on the 212j and that works perfectly, streams all music including 24 bit files.

Why can't the app see files in the 'native' Synology Media Server?

I have tried changing various DMA compatibility settings but no joy.

Sonos could see content of the Diskstation just fine when running only the Media Server.

OK ... it turns out my Media Server had lost the 'music' folder index and I had never noticed as Sonos must have addressed the network share direct!

Recreated the 'music' index and rescanned ... it works now!

:facepalm:

I would like some help with selecting a centre speaker that will match the AVR-X3600H. I have a budget of £500-£600 and was considering the KEF Q650C. Can anyone recommend an alternative? Many thanks in advance.

What left and right speakers are you using? You need something that will match those.

I have a problem with the AV side of my system, hopefully someone here can shed some light...I use an X3600/Sky Q with my audio system running the front left and right via the pre outs. Now, most of the time everything is fine, but out of the blue I will turn the whole system on and on normal TV (sky Q) the voices have far too much bleed into all four surrounds, it sounds like we are in a tunnel! Stick anything on in DD5.1 and its fine. It appears that it is a problem to do with the processing of a stereo DD signal. If I switch the Q to standard stereo all is fine. Tomorrow it will almost certainly be fine. The Denon is only a month old, but I cant help but think its the dreaded Sky Q box (2nd gen).
Anyone have any ideas?

I have a problem with the AV side of my system, hopefully someone here can shed some light...I use an X3600/Sky Q with my audio system running the front left and right via the pre outs. Now, most of the time everything is fine, but out of the blue I will turn the whole system on and on normal TV (sky Q) the voices have far too much bleed into all four surrounds, it sounds like we are in a tunnel! Stick anything on in DD5.1 and its fine. It appears that it is a problem to do with the processing of a stereo DD signal. If I switch the Q to standard stereo all is fine. Tomorrow it will almost certainly be fine. The Denon is only a month old, but I cant help but think its the dreaded Sky Q box (2nd gen).
Anyone have any ideas?

Is it not well known problem with the way 3600 is missing spread control option for upmixing 2 channel audio? When it happens turn off upmixing and see if the problem is gone.

You might have auto upmixing selected for 2.0 streams which can be random between programs you are watching hence occasionally becoming problem.

If thats the case, its the second problem this AVR has. The other is the handshaking between it and the Q box. Nightmare!
I hear what your saying but wonder why it would randomly come and go, like for a whole evening as it did tonight. Then tomorrow, without changing any settings, it will be fine.
I am in bed now, but I will check that setting tomorrow. 👍

If thats the case, its the second problem this AVR has. The other is the handshaking between it and the Q box. Nightmare!
I hear what your saying but wonder why it would randomly come and go, like for a whole evening as it did tonight. Then tomorrow, without changing any settings, it will be fine.
I am in bed now, but I will check that setting tomorrow. 👍
I think the audio bleed from DD 2.0 has been mentioned a few times in this thread. It's not a problem I've encountered with any of my Denons past or present, not a 3600 I might add. As far as the SkyQ problem goes then that's down to Sky and it is a nightmare as you say. I take it you get the dreaded black screen the next time you turn on Sky. Denon blame Sky, Sky blame Denon, take your pick.

I think the audio bleed from DD 2.0 has been mentioned a few times in this thread. It's not a problem I've encountered with any of my Denons past or present, not a 3600 I might add. As far as the SkyQ problem goes then that's down to Sky and it is a nightmare as you say. I take it you get the dreaded black screen the next time you turn on Sky. Denon blame Sky, Sky blame Denon, take your pick.
Yes its exactly that with the sky box. I can get over it by turning off all handshaking and using my Harmony remote, but I would prefer not to!
Its interesting you say the other problem has been mentioned before...I will have a good search. If its a Denon problem, it can go back. Thanks.

Yep, the handshake issue is definitely down to Sky and their v.2 box.
Never had it on my v.1 that died.
I was using an x2300 at the time, and ended up going direct to TV, but when I upgraded to this amp and installed atmos speakers, I had to buy a cheap HDMI splitter so could go through the amp to get atmos.
Not had any issues since.

Yep, the handshake issue is definitely down to Sky and their v.2 box.
Never had it on my v.1 that died.
I was using an x2300 at the time, and ended up going direct to TV, but when I upgraded to this amp and installed atmos speakers, I had to buy a cheap HDMI splitter so could go through the amp to get atmos.
Not had any issues since.
Yes I have seen that on here. I may well do that if I can resolve the echo problem...

Hello everybody! Just a quick question about DTS Neural X and DTS Virtual X. These two sound options seem to be available for any source that is connected to the amp even if it is a stereo source or what have you. Does this mean it is sort of a 'fake' DTS if you like since it can be selected even when the source isn't 5.1? the setup I am using is 5.1 surround and when watched normal TV from my Virgin V6 box would it be better to use one of these settings for sound?
Also another question if I was watching a blu ray from my PS4 that has DTS available would it be better to watch it in the normal 'DTS surround' that is available or would neural or virtual be better and add anything? Thank you.

Hello everybody! Just a quick question about DTS Neural X and DTS Virtual X. These two sound options seem to be available for any source that is connected to the amp even if it is a stereo source or what have you. Does this mean it is sort of a 'fake' DTS if you like since it can be selected even when the source isn't 5.1? the setup I am using is 5.1 surround and when watched normal TV from my Virgin V6 box would it be better to use one of these settings for sound?
Also another question if I was watching a blu ray from my PS4 that has DTS available would it be better to watch it in the normal 'DTS surround' that is available or would neural or virtual be better and add anything? Thank you.
Hmm, I dont have any reference to DTS on my X3600...I am sure mine is faulty!

TS Neural X and DTS Virtual X.

This might be worth a read:

DTS Neural:X is an upmixing mode designed to create pseudo channels for speakers in your setup that the source audio hasn't channels for. If you've a 5.1.2 speaker configuration for example and you input a 5.1 source then Neural:X would create additional audio channels for your additional height speakers. This is effectively pseudo DTS:X. It can even create additional surround channels and a centre channel as well as height channels if the source is only 2 channel stereo in nature.

THe same is much the same of Dolby's Dolby Surround Upmixing:
Dolby Surround upmixer
If you invest in building a Dolby Atmos home theater, you want to get full use of it, even if the content you’re playing isn’t mixed in Dolby Atmos. That’s where the Dolby Surround upmixer plays a big role.

When enabled, the Dolby Surround upmixer expands the audio of legacy channel-based content to take advantage of your entire system, including overhead or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. The Dolby Surround upmixer processes and expands the channel-based soundtrack to create a highly accurate rendering of the environment in the movie while simultaneously honoring and maintaining the artist’s intent for the mix.

Unlike previous wideband upmixing technologies, the Dolby Surround upmixer operates in the frequency domain, decoding and processing multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands for a fine- grained analysis of the source signal. Dolby Surround upmixer individually steers these frequency bands, producing a highly precise surround-sound field with enhanced spacious ambience. The Dolby Surround upmixer is included in the Dolby Atmos technology bundle and replaces the Dolby Pro Logic II family of upmixers, offering greater flexibility and superior audio performance.

To maintain the frontal spatial audio image, the upmixer will not send upmixed audio to speakers that are located between the left, center, and right speakers or to the left wide and right wide speakers. Additionally, upmixed audio is not sent to the center surround speaker. Spatial imaging is complemented through the use of overhead or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers in these cases.

Virtual:X is only needed in setups devoid of additional height speakers and creates virtual representations of such speakers in their absence. Physical height speakers would be a far better option though and the virtual speakers don't realistically give you what you'd experience if using pjysical speakers located in their ideal locations.

Last edited:
Thanks to @sebna for enlightening me a few days ago, but for some reason only known to Denon Virtual/Neural:X isn't currently available on the 3600 for Dolby Digital encoded material, something I'm missing from my 2500h days. It did add extra immersion on some things, but now I don't have it I'm not really missing it. Personal preference. Hopefully a firmware update can add it back in if Denon feel like it as Dobly relaxed their restrictions regarding not allowing third party virtualisation on Dolby encoded stuff.

Thanks to @sebna for enlightening me a few days ago, but for some reason only known to Denon Neural:X isn't currently available on the 3600 for Dolby Digital encoded material, something I'm missing from my 2500h days. It did add extra immersion on some things, but now I don't have it I'm not really missing it. Personal preference. Hopefully a firmware update can add it back in if Denon feel like it as Dobly relaxed their restrictions regarding not allowing third party virtualisation on Dolby encoded stuff.

The inability to apply third party upmixing on Denon models stems from this:

Despite Dolby having to withdraw their demands made on manufacturers after the EU ruling, It wasn't soon enough to avoid Denon having employed the restrictions on their new receivers.

I've no idea as to why Denon haven't however addressed this via firmware revision though? They are no longer legally obligated to enforce such restrictions.

They are probably lazy. Also it will cost them money to introduce it. It is easier to spend this money on new model or bigger bonuses so I would not be surprised if we never get this feature corrected via FW update. Hopefully I am wrong. Still it is a very nice and budget friendly AVR. We get a lot for the money.

After all if somebody is really missing it can upgrade to new model :D - I bet this is their thinking to extent :)

This might be worth a read:

DTS Neural:X is an upmixing mode designed to create pseudo channels for speakers in tour setup that the source audio hasn't channels for. If you've a 5.1.2 speaker configuration for example and you input a 5.1 source then Neural:X would create additional audio channels for you additional height speakers. This is effectively pseudo DTS:X. It can even create both additional surround channels as well as height channels if the source is only 2 channel stereo in nature.

THe same is much the same of Dolby's Dolby Surround Upmixing:

Virtual:X is only needed in setups devoid of additional height speakers and creates virtual representations of such speakers in their absence. Physical height speakers would be a far better option though and the virtual speakers don't realistically give you what you'd experience if using pjysical speakers located in their ideal locations.

Thank you both for your replies, good reads.

Hi All,
A new issue with lack of sound in some instances from Sky Q via the Denon AVR. I have The Sky Q box connected to the AVR CBL/SAT input via HDMI. Then the AVR ARC output to the eARC input on Sony AG9 TV.
The Amp is only a couple of months old.

I mostly use the pass through function on the AVR to watch Sky. The Sky Q HDMI setting is set to Dolby Digital. This works fine.

And when I watch Sky with the AMP On and I switch channels on SKY, it will work ok with the AMP sensing the source signal correctly. But suddenly a certain channel will not output any sound. The source signal (using ‘info’ on AMP, then shows as PCM ZERO.
Even if I change the Sky channel ,there is no sound and it seems the AMP freezes in the ‘PCM ZERO’ mode.
To rectify, I have to change the sound mode to ‘Direct’ On the AMP to get sound , then revert to whatever sound mode I was using before.
Any clues ?

Hi Guys,

Can 3600 be configured for 5.1.6 setup with addition of external 2ch amp? Or will it only do 7.1.4 with external 2ch amp?

Thanks

An update to my handshake issue with Sky Q and the Denon, I fitted this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product..._dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1between the two on Friday, and its been fine ever since. So, so far so good...

Hi Abbo, if you use CEC for switching between AVR sources and TV audio, wondering if you can still just use the Sky or home buttons on the Sky remote and it will automatically change to the Sky input on AVR and TV from whatever it was previously with this product? In other words, does it work as if it wasn't there (if Sky worked properly!)?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I am considering getting Sony 1080 AVR foe other room. Mainly because I do not want same brands in both locations as I am interested if the sound signature will be discernible.

Did anybody have an experience in Sony vs Denon sound? What can I expect?

I am slightly off put by number of problems with Sony AVR reported in its thread tough so I might end up with 2600h in the end or something from Yamaha stable, but I read it can get pretty bright with Yammies and that is something I would like to avoid.

Thanks

I am considering getting Sony 1080 AVR foe other room. Mainly because I do not want same brands in both locations as I am interested if the sound signature will be discernible.

Did anybody have an experience in Sony vs Denon sound? What can I expect?

I am slightly off put by number of problems with Sony AVR reported in its thread tough so I might end up with 2600h in the end or something from Yamaha stable, but I read it can get pretty bright with Yammies and that is something I would like to avoid.

Thanks
How about a Marantz. Although they are stable mates and share much of the same gubbings under the skin the sound signature is somewhat different. Marantz seem to be very laid back and warm.

Hi Abbo, if you use CEC for switching between AVR sources and TV audio, wondering if you can still just use the Sky or home buttons on the Sky remote and it will automatically change to the Sky input on AVR and TV from whatever it was previously with this product? In other words, does it work as if it wasn't there (if Sky worked properly!)?
Hi, just an update...
I swapped the 3600 for a 4500 and its in a different league!
No handshake issues.
No nasty center audio bleed into the front left and right audio channels that make voices echo.
And it sounds so much better!
Either I had a faulty unit (the salesman says its ok) or the 3600 is a very poor quality unit.
So I am now a very happy bunny.

Hi, just an update...
I swapped the 3600 for a 4500 and its in a different league!
No handshake issues.
No nasty center audio bleed into the front left and right audio channels that make voices echo.
And it sounds so much better!
Either I had a faulty unit (the salesman says its ok) or the 3600 is a very poor quality unit.
So I am now a very happy bunny.

Interesting :). Can you elaborate a bit more on SQ differences?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom