Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

Just had another pop at it on the older firmware, I’m just now installing the newest firmware so hopefully I’ll have Atmos this afternoon.

Hi all
I’m new here so hopefully I’m posting the right place.
I have just upgraded from the AVRx3500 to the 3600. It’s a big improvement in terms of sound plus I’ve gone 7.1.2.
however I’ve got terrible lip sync issues and wondered if anyone else had the same problem.
I have a LG 65c8pla oled tv and have tried 3 different ultra high speed and high speed hdmi cables.
The video is prior to the audio and the only way I can get dtv sync to be acceptable is to set the arc to pcm. Trouble is I’m then reducing sound quality and if I want to watch Dolby content on Netflix I need to go back and toggle the arc over to auto.
this didn’t happen with my 3500 and it just worked. I’ve fiddled now for days and I can’t seem to improve it.
has anyone got any suggestions or has anyone else had the same issue please?
Kevin

I’m assuming that you mean the audio from the TV built in apps?
Try going into the setup menu on the amp - audio - audio delay - and toggle auto lip sync on and off or turn it off and adjust the delay

I’m assuming that you mean the audio from the TV built in apps?
Try going into the setup menu on the amp - audio - audio delay - and toggle auto lip sync on and off or turn it off and adjust the delay
Thanks. Not just the apps. Audio delay is on apps such as YouTube Netflix as well as Freeview using the internal tuner. Having run some sync tests from YouTube I reckon it’s about 30ms behind. No issues on my previous AVRx3500. I’m starting to think it’s a general comparability issue between my tv and amp. I note the 3600 has eARC and my tv just ARC. Similarly my previous 3500 amp only had ARC

Hi All,

New user of the 3600 after upgrading from a Marantz 1607. I seem to be having problems with the Audyssey setup and the crossover settings for my speakers, Currently running Mission M3 Cube that should do 150-20hz and 2 soon to be 4 Cambridge audio C46 which do 120-20hz.

The 3600 seems to vary on every setup i do and puts the 2 fronts at 250hz centre @200hz rears at 150hz which is correct and the ceiling 250hz, i have re-run setup a few times and get very similar results and find the sound is lacking compared to my previous 1607 which set all speakers at 180hz and sounded far better.

As an experiment i borrowed a friend Onkyo and its Eq system set all my speakers to 150hz and gave me a far better sound, IMHO anyway. do i have a faulty receiver and or MIC or is the XT32 system correct in its settings.

I also noticed i now have to run the 3600 around 10db higher than my previous amp on everything i watch just to get a similar volume level.

This is really annoying and i am on the verge on sending this back, i had though with the extra power and the upgrade form XT to XT32 i would have had at least a similar or improved sounding system.

Any thoughts, just to add i have tried various methods of Audyssey with each setting to either On or OFF and still cant find any middle ground

Thanks

Hi folks, figured it out - there are a combination of issues at play here. Incredibly frustrating timing as I only just got my Denon X3600, and have been tearing my hair out trying to get Atmos to work once (exacerbated, as my Xbox one is the only device I have that can play Netflix content with Atmos audio, using my older 1080p tv).

BUG 1: As per previous posts/instructions, you must downgrade your firmware. If you don’t, you get stuck in MULTI-IN, with no Atmos audio option.

BUG 2: Once you’ve downgraded, you will see that all sound from the Xbox appears to be Atmos. It isn’t. It’s only 5.1 (I know this because my rear heights wouldn’t work on the Atmos demo videos).

This then also seems to cause a Netflix freeze when you play media with an Atmos soundtrack. Solution is to uninstall the Dolby app, and reinstall - Netflix media will then play with full Atmos audio.

Until Microsoft fixes this issue, you’ll need to uninstall/reinstall the Dolby app every time you restart the Xbox.

Hi folks, figured it out - there are a combination of issues at play here. Incredibly frustrating timing as I only just got my Denon X3600, and have been tearing my hair out trying to get Atmos to work once (exacerbated, as my Xbox one is the only device I have that can play Netflix content with Atmos audio, using my older 1080p tv).

BUG 1: As per previous posts/instructions, you must downgrade your firmware. If you don’t, you get stuck in MULTI-IN, with no Atmos audio option.

BUG 2: Once you’ve downgraded, you will see that all sound from the Xbox appears to be Atmos. It isn’t. It’s only 5.1 (I know this because my rear heights wouldn’t work on the Atmos demo videos).

This then also seems to cause a Netflix freeze when you play media with an Atmos soundtrack. Solution is to uninstall the Dolby app, and reinstall - Netflix media will then play with full Atmos audio.

Until Microsoft fixes this issue, you’ll need to uninstall/reinstall the Dolby app every time you restart the Xbox.

I rolled back my firmware but it didn’t go back to the earliest firmware that @Nobbler is running, so I had to install the latest update again and now I get Atmos on 4K discs but still get MULTI-IN with games.

They’ll probably fix it with the new Xbox out later this year that one will probably have atmos as standard. Of course I have no idea what I’m talking about and could be completely wrong but it would make sense.

My Atmos speakers work just fine after the amp firmware downgrade. Not sure why it's not working for you.

My Atmos speakers work just fine after the amp firmware downgrade. Not sure why it's not working for you.
Do you have any problems playing Netflix content with an Atmos soundtrack (e.g Lost in Space)?

Also - which version of Xbox One are you using? I’m on the original.

I don't use Netflix on my Xbox - sorry. I could try setting up my account later though.

I'm using an Xbox One X - not sure of the version number.

OK I just set up my Netflix account on the Xbox and I'm definitely getting sounds from the height and ceiling speakers.

This is what the info screen shows :
CA03007F-DC09-4671-82AD-420B41610116.jpeg

Can anyone explain the difference in the crossover settings in the Speaker and Bass menus.

In the speaker section, you can set individual crossovers for each speaker, or set a global crossover. There is also a Bass menu where it looks like you can also set crossover.

How does these two menu options work together ?

I think our units don’t downgrade and rollback to the earliest firmware that you’re AVR does, our rolled back firmware seems to be a newer version and still inherits the issue of the newest regarding Atmos.

I think our units don’t downgrade and rollback to the earliest firmware that you’re AVR does, our rolled back firmware seems to be a newer version and still inherits the issue of the newest regarding Atmos.

Yes, good point. Newer units will have a more recent "default" firmware so downgrading will have no effect. Denon really need to make earlier firmware available for download, or sort out the Xbox Atmos issue with a new firmware.

Can anyone explain the difference in the crossover settings in the Speaker and Bass menus.

In the speaker section, you can set individual crossovers for each speaker, or set a global crossover. There is also a Bass menu where it looks like you can also set crossover.

How does these two menu options work together ?
Read the first post in this excellent thread by dante01.

Hello,

Has anyone else have issues with the x3600h not processing Dolby Atmos from and Xbox one X? I have 2 other denon receivers and they pick up the Atmos signal no problems. The x3600h sits on the PCM signal even having bitstream on HDMI and Atmos on. Any tips or tricks for a fix? I would hate to take it back...

In fact this has already been discussed extensively earlier in this thread !

Yeah I was excited to see an update for the Dolby access app yesterday. I don’t know what it did but it didn’t make atmos work. Sooner or later Microsoft will probably update it if they twig that new receivers are using new codecs. Maybe.

I also noticed i now have to run the 3600 around 10db higher than my previous amp on everything i watch just to get a similar volume level.

This is really annoying and i am on the verge on sending this back, i had though with the extra power and the upgrade form XT to XT32 i would have had at least a similar or improved sounding system.

Any thoughts, just to add i have tried various methods of Audyssey with each setting to either On or OFF and still cant find any middle ground

Thanks

I'm having the same problem as you, The amp is really quiet and lacking any presence and this is in a 5.1.4 set up, Watching films at 55.0db on the volume and it just seem too quiet lacking the slam of my
Sony STR_DN1080, I'll just have to keep tweaking the amp and until I get it sounding semi-decent as I can't believe the Denon is going to sound worse than an Avr that is half the price

That’s because Audysey will have set all your speakers in the negative volume range. You’re increasing the volume to compensate.
It does actually measure ALL the speakers from the first measurement position and adjust them all...what a lot of other Ed systems will do is measure the front left speaker as 0 and then adjust the volume of the others from that speaker. Audyssey will set them at 75db

@Nobbler yeah its my first experience of Audysey and looks like I've got some fettling to do with the AVR, All part of the fun of the hobby buying something and then having to tweak it to get it sounding right

After my initial first impression of the 3600 i am now starting to warm to it a little more i have sorted out the problem with the Audysey setup and the odd frequency range problems, i did this by adding some more soft furnishings to my room which helped no end and have run Audyssey setup at least once a day over the last 2 weeks.

I finally got a satisfactory result from XT32 and run with both XT32 on reference and Dynamic EQ on just for movies, i would imagine it will take a while for the Amp to bed in properly so in the meantime i am now looking at going 5.1.4 and changing my speakers and sub, Good excuse too anyway :)

Just watched Deepwater Horizon and Blade Runner 2049 back to back , Yeah the amp doesn't lack power :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom