Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

Haha.!

so are the binding posts just as good as banana plugs?
Bare wire is said to be a better connection than banana plugs. You have to make absolutely sure that there are no stray wires touching the chassis of the receiver. Bare 10mm of wire and put into the hole on the binding post and screw the connector down firmly. Banana plugs are a convenience and make it much easier to fit in and out of the receiver and is much easier to set up than bare wire.

Haha.!

so are the binding posts just as good as banana plugs?
Probably better. However I used banana plugs on my 3600. It makes it easier if for any reason you need disconnect the speakers cables e.g to move the amp etc . I just pulled the black caps out of the binding posts with my fingers. But its not mentioned in the manual. The manual just describes using bare wire.

So I’m ready to order a X3600, anyone know of any decent UK deals other than the commonplace reduction to £699?

Any retailers offering additional freebies or the like?

no harm in asking....

Last edited:
I don’t doubt it! I got one from there but it was open box and I think the person who returned it kept the lead for his kettle as mine was standard

I don’t doubt it! I got one from there but it was open box and I think the person who returned it kept the lead for his kettle as mine was standard
I know. ;) :thumbsup:

The hissing "echo" from the side speakers when watching Dolby 2.0 stuff upmixed to Dolby Surround is doing my box in now.

Anyone know a way round this so I can select DTS X to handle the psuedo surround duties?

This is a problem when watching Freeview in the UK essentially - I use HD Homerun and either the TV itself or the Nvidia Shield pick it up as DD2.0 and then the only surround option is the hissing echoey Dolby Surround (even though I remember reading that Dolby reneged on their enforcement of this). I've managed to get round it by attempting to watch live TV on Plex (a buggy mess) which allows other surround modes to be chosen on the amp, or through the TV itself but only by changing the audio mode to PCM.

Bit of a nuisance I have to say, it was all fine on my old x2300w...

The hissing "echo" from the side speakers when watching Dolby 2.0 stuff upmixed to Dolby Surround is doing my box in now.

Anyone know a way round this so I can select DTS X to handle the psuedo surround duties?

This is a problem when watching Freeview in the UK essentially - I use HD Homerun and either the TV itself or the Nvidia Shield pick it up as DD2.0 and then the only surround option is the hissing echoey Dolby Surround (even though I remember reading that Dolby reneged on their enforcement of this). I've managed to get round it by attempting to watch live TV on Plex (a buggy mess) which allows other surround modes to be chosen on the amp, or through the TV itself but only by changing the audio mode to PCM.

Bit of a nuisance I have to say, it was all fine on my old x2300w...

The pseudo DTS:X upmixing mode is called Neural:X. If you cannot access this while handling Dolby encoded formats then you could get the source to decode the audio prior to it outputting the resulting PCM audio data to the AV receiver. Neural:X should stil lbe applicable to PCM irrespective of the Dolby prevention associated with Dolby's own formats. Dolby were indeed forced to rethink their anti DTS policy, but some Dnon models were unfortuntly still subject to this. I can only assume that your receiver is one of the models effected?

Last edited by a moderator:
The pseudo DTS:X upmixing mode is called Neural:X. If you cannot access this while handling Dolby encoded formats then you could get the source to decode the audio prior to it outputting the resulting PCM audio data to the AV receiver. Neural:X should stil lbe applicable to PCM irrespective of the Dolby prevention associated with Dolby's own formats. Dolby were indeed forced to rethink their anti DTS policy, but some Dnon models were unfortuntly still subject to this. I can only assume that your receiver is one of the models effected?

I know all this - it's essentially what I posted...

My point is - it's annoying. It's annoying to have to go into my TV settings to change it to PCM (like I said). It's annoying that Dolby Surround makes this weird hissing echo/rasping and lisping from a DD2.0 source. There are some sources that CANNOT be told to change to PCM and even if they could that would be annoying too.

As (I already mentioned) Dolby have reneged on this obligation they put on manufacturers it is surely only a firmware update away from being "fixed" and I can chose whatever pseudo surround processing I like.

I posted on the other thread a while back and another poster noticed this flaw too...

Hi All, I'm a new 3600 owner. I bought a RS open box model from their warehouse for £566 inc a 10% VIP discount. On opening the open box, nothing had been used, everything was still in the packets and unopened, so quite happy. Only downside is 1 year warranty and no option of an extended warranty...

Overall, I'm very happy with it but I have also experienced the annoying echoey DS upmixing.

It sounds lik the same problem I read on another forum, where owners were complaining about vocals bleeding in to the surround speakers. That forum suggested turning off surround speaker virtualisation. This has helped a little for me. On the same forum, a member had been in touch with Denon who stated it was a known problem and that it will be fixed in a firmware update.

Not sure if linking to other forums is allowed, if it is, let me know and I'll edit this with a link.

I know all this - it's essentially what I posted...

My point is - it's annoying. It's annoying to have to go into my TV settings to change it to PCM (like I said). It's annoying that Dolby Surround makes this weird hissing echo/rasping and lisping from a DD2.0 source. There are some sources that CANNOT be told to change to PCM and even if they could that would be annoying too.

As (I already mentioned) Dolby have reneged on this obligation they put on manufacturers it is surely only a firmware update away from being "fixed" and I can chose whatever pseudo surround processing I like.

I posted on the other thread a while back and another poster noticed this flaw too...

Seems to me as though the 3600 is not for you and you should return it if you can.
FWIW I do t have this problem for some reason. My main TV source is Sky Q which outputs either in DD 2.0 or 5.1 it PCM 2.0 which I ionic to NeuralX

Not sure if linking to other forums is allowed, if it is, let me know and I'll edit this with a link.
Yes, you can link as it will be help to members.

Seems to me as though the 3600 is not for you and you should return it if you can.
FWIW I do t have this problem for some reason. My main TV source is Sky Q which outputs either in DD 2.0 or 5.1 it PCM 2.0 which I ionic to NeuralX

Seems to me that you are one of the few not to notice this annoying Dolby Surround problem - the post right above you sees this as an issue and I'm glad it appears that Denon are aware of it.

Also the other (review) thread has someone else experiencing it.

I love the 3600 in every other respect, this is now my third Denon over the years so I hope it isn't too long before Denon quash this bug.

I don’t get it because I don’t use DD 2.0. It’s not that I don’t notice it...I avoid it.

I don’t get it because I don’t use DD 2.0. It’s not that I don’t notice it...I avoid it.

Well, that's how it is broadcast on Freeview as picked up by HDHomerun.

Not all of us want or need Sky Q - I avoid THAT. I also don't want to be messing around changing the source to PCM when there should be no issues with DD 2.0 at all.

To say that you think the 3600 is not for me - really? Listen to yourself lol. Although I am still trying to fully decipher your first reply to me.

Anyway, here's the info at the other forum:

Known Issues, By Design and other tips relating to the 2019 Denon S/X Series models

10. Dialog bleeds over to Surround speakers - When using the new Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer (ie. no height speakers configured and "... + Dolby Surround" mode selected, the dialog can be heard bleeding into the surround speakers. Checking with Denon to determine if this is by design or a firmware issue. Update: Denon tech support reports the Virtualizer feature isn't the root cause, rather instead there is something going on with the DSP software. The only time Virtualizer played a role is when there is a DD input signal with DD+DS set as the mode. With Virtualizer set to on, the SL/SR output was distorted with dialog bleed through. With Virtualizer Off, the SL/SR channels output normally. A ticket has been created for Denon engineering to investigate.

Not all of us want or need Sky Q - I avoid THAT. I also don't want to be messing around changing the source to PCM when there should be no issues with DD 2.0 at all.

To say that you think the 3600 is not for me - really? Listen to yourself lol. Although I am still trying to fully decipher your first reply to me.

Known Issues, By Design and other tips relating to the 2019 Denon S/X Series models

10. Dialog bleeds over to Surround speakers - When using the new Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer (ie. no height speakers configured and "... + Dolby Surround" mode selected, the dialog can be heard bleeding into the surround speakers. Checking with Denon to determine if this is by design or a firmware issue. Update: Denon tech support reports the Virtualizer feature isn't the root cause, rather instead there is something going on with the DSP software. The only time Virtualizer played a role is when there is a DD input signal with DD+DS set as the mode. With Virtualizer set to on, the SL/SR output was distorted with dialog bleed through. With Virtualizer Off, the SL/SR channels output normally. A ticket has been created for Denon engineering to investigate.
Crack on and work it out for yourself then mate :thumbsup:

A workaround for me was to turn off Dynamic EQ, this stops the speech bleeding through.

To make it easier I have used 2 of the shortcut keys on the remote, one with DEQ on and one with it off.

That way when watching TV (I watch through a Virgin V6 box rather than Freeview) when I get a DD 5.1 source I can turn on DEQ and when it's DD 2.0 turn it off with very little effort.

Hopefully the next firmware update with solve the issue entirely, but for now this works for me.

Crack on and work it out for yourself then mate :thumbsup:

LMAO, well sir, you were certainly NO help whatsoever.

I already HAVE worked it out for myself - by reading up a bit instead of doing whatever it is you do.

Heh, as my old mum would say, "opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble"...

Now where's that mute button.

A workaround for me was to turn off Dynamic EQ, this stops the speech bleeding through.

To make it easier I have used 2 of the shortcut keys on the remote, one with DEQ on and one with it off.

That way when watching TV (I watch through a Virgin V6 box rather than Freeview) when I get a DD 5.1 source I can turn on DEQ and when it's DD 2.0 turn it off with very little effort.

Hopefully the next firmware update with solve the issue entirely, but for now this works for me.

Nice constructive post, unlike a couple of others above who just seem to blurt out anything to up their post count o_O

I already had the Dynamic EQ off, however I did still have the Speaker Virtualization on. Turning this off has alleviated it a bit, but can still be heard a bit (especially when someone has a deep intake of breath, on a news channel etc).

As you say, hopefully the next firmware update will quash it and from the link over at the other forum it looks like they are well aware of the problem.

Nice constructive post, unlike a couple of others above who just seem to blurt out anything to up their post count o_O

Why, what would a member get in return for having a higher post count?

Sorry that my reply was so useless. Let's hope you don't need any assistance from me in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom