Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

Hi all,

After the failure of my TV recently I purchased a Phillips 55oled804 and the Denon to replace my old Sony av unit.

I set the TV up in the week and have been running my Virgin V6 box through it without any problems, however now that I have setup the Denon, I'm am now no longer able to use Netflix or Amazon prime through the V6.

Whenever I try to watch anything on either I just get error messages telling me that the video could not be played. The error code supplied by Netflix (5.2.12) suggests that this is down to a HDCP issue although obviously both the Denon and Phillips are at least 2.2 compliant.

I'm using a brand new high speed cable and tried another, also new, but no change. All other 4k content via the V6 (BT, virgins own channel and iPlayer) all play fine and I have no black screen issues.

Is there some kind of setting I'm missing?

I can watch both of these apps through the TV, so it's not a massive problem, but the wife prefers to use the V6 for the apps so in that respect it's the end of the world!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi all,

After the failure of my TV recently I purchased a Phillips 55oled804 and the Denon to replace my old Sony av unit.

I set the TV up in the week and have been running my Virgin V6 box through it without any problems, however now that I have setup the Denon, I'm am now no longer able to use Netflix or Amazon prime through the V6.

Whenever I try to watch anything on either I just get error messages telling me that the video could not be played. The error code supplied by Netflix (5.2.12) suggests that this is down to a HDCP issue although obviously both the Denon and Phillips are at least 2.2 compliant.

I'm using a brand new high speed cable and tried another, also new, but no change. All other 4k content via the V6 (BT, virgins own channel and iPlayer) all play fine and I have no black screen issues.

Is there some kind of setting I'm missing?

I can watch both of these apps through the TV, so it's not a massive problem, but the wife prefers to use the V6 for the apps so in that respect it's the end of the world!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you set HDMI to enhanced on the Denon think is under video/tv format in settings

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, got it set to enhanced already. I'm at a complete loss.

I have my v6 into Denon cbl/sat and all work well Netflix YouTube I have Denon to my LG c9 with Belkin ultra HDMI cable

Think I have solved it. I noticed that the V6 had changed its video settings to just 2160p rather than that and 2160p pass-through. I've changed it back and now they are both working!

A bit odd but hey, a happy wife! 😁

OMG. soooo glad i found this thread/group. I just set up my 3600 yesterday after a month of comparing other options. My old AVR was an Onkyo TX NR646 which I was fairly happy with but wanted to go to 5.2.4 along with DV pass through and ability to play HD level Amazon music/work with Alexa.
So i have only about 4 hours of working time with it but have been totally underwhelmed so far. The Audyssey setup seemed set everything up at negative volume levels. I have to be over 50 on the volume to hear anything. Xbox and Atmos was maddening b/c they aren't playing nice. So it appears from those 2 issues, some of you all are in a similar boat.
On top of that, I am using the Phillips HUE sync box which needs to go into an HDMI input in order to use the lights with music. Unfortunately any blu ray player or Xbox that plugs into the sync box causes a the video and audio to flicker on and off constantly. I tried using every HDMI input and changed cables.. not luck. Then as a last resort i tried that HDMI port in front.. works flawlessly.. not sure whats up with that...
Anyways, i don't plan on sending this back, will continue to follow this thread and look for you all's tips.

So what i wanted to ask.. I'm using Dobly Atmos Klipsch modules (old R14sa i think) as front heights so they are angled down- I hear a bit of a front soundstage but nothing better than what I had before. I noticed in the Audyssey setup set the crossover as 80 for those 2 speakers, I always thought that the heights/atmos was supposed to be 150? My front wall to back wall is only a 15 foot span.. should I consider maybe changing the set up from Front Heights to Front Ceiling speakers instead to maybe get more of a height presence?

I also have a pair of new SVS elevation speakers that I was going to add to the back to give a my 5.2.4 setup.. should maybe i consider trying those in the front and move my Klispch modules to the rear? Just wanted some advice before i start mounting all of this. Thanks for any recommendations.

Well I've just ordered a x3600 to replace my 10 year old pioneer 1019...
I presume I am going to be impressed..
Currently running 5.1 but intend to go Atmos in the future. I have a house extension coming so I'm hoping to do it during the rest of the disruption....

New family member... Out with the old, in with the new!
First amp I've bought in about 10 years ago although I'm familiar with a lot of the terminology, I'm way out of touch with actually using it!
Only running 5.1, 4k TV with Netflix and Prime aps, Plex from htpc and an Xbox one S but still plenty of learning to do.
It's all plumbed in now but not properly set up as I've had to leave it to do the school run...
Can't wait to have a play later and do some testing etc!

Last time I bought an amp, internet radio at home didn't exist, neither did Google home or Alexa or Atmos.... 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_141311.jpg
    IMG_20200214_141311.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20200214_141234.jpg
    IMG_20200214_141234.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 159
Wow, what a piece of kit! Well impressed. I have a 5.1 set up and mostly watch Netflix and Prime but even with these I can hear so much more subtle sounds. The room actually sounds larger! Much better separation too, which is a massive part of surround sound for me.

So a question please..
The different sounds modes...? I'm using DD + DSur.
I'm guessing Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround but I don't know what it means and if it is what I dorks be using?
Audio goes to avr from ARC HDMI from the TV...

I need to refresh my memory on sound formats etc, not needed to look at them for years!

Stuck a 4k UHD Disc in the xbox, 4k picture on TV and initially, even though I don't have Atmos, the amp went to Atmos so I changed the amp to True HD...

What else do I need to know?

I'm guessing Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround but I don't know what it means and if it is what I dorks be using?
Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode. For native 5.1 it will play as it is. If your watch a 2.0 stereo broadcast from the TV in Dolby 2.0 then that will be upmixed to take in all connected speakers and a sub. Can work very well.

When you go for Atmos then Surround will also take into account those speakers in the Atmos domain. You will also get DTS Neural as an upmixer and this is very effective on discs with a DTS HD audio soundtrack as again it will take into account those speakers in the Atmos domain.

Get some Atmos speakers and you have a lot to look forward to.

Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode. For native 5.1 it will play as it is. If your watch a 2.0 stereo broadcast from the TV in Dolby 2.0 then that will be upmixed to take in all connected speakers and a sub. Can work very well.

When you go for Atmos then Surround will also take into account those speakers in the Atmos domain. You will also get DTS Neural as an upmixer and this is very effective on discs with a DTS HD audio soundtrack as again it will take into account those speakers in the Atmos domain.

Get some Atmos speakers and you have a lot to look forward to.
Thanks mate. If I could get them in before she gets home tonight, I would. Rather than dealing with two lots of surprises, get it all in one go... Lol!

Yep, she don't know about this amp yet... 😂😂😂

@gibbsy hold up, I'm confused..
Prime from TV app is Dolby digital. ARC to amp from TV.

So if it goes to DD+ DOLBY SURROUND, what is it doing different from Dolby Digital in my 5.1?

Dolby Surround Upmixer
When you invest in a Dolby Atmos home theater, you expect to get full use of all the components, even when the content you are playing is not mixed in Dolby Atmos. This includes taking advantage of overhead and Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to further enhance the playback experience.

Included in the Dolby Atmos technology bundle is a new advanced upmixer designed to be compatible with traditional channel-based as well as Dolby Atmos speaker systems. The Dolby surround upmixer expands the audio of channel-based content, including native stereo, 5.1, and 7.1 content, for playback through a Dolby Atmos system-regardless of speaker number or placement-while simultaneously honoring and maintaining the artist’s intent for the mix.

The Dolby surround upmixer analyzes and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands, accurately steering each individually. The result is a surround playback experience characterized by precisely located audio elements and a more spacious ambience.

In a Dolby Atmos system, the channel-based mix is fully honored. Dolby Atmos enabled speakers and overhead speakers are employed to lend a sense of atmospherics or room effect to the listening experience. This new technology will process and upmix channel- based content to as many as 17 speaker locations at listener level and to 10 Dolby Atmos enabled or overhead speakers. Note: To maintain an accurate frontal audio image, the upmixer will not send upmixed audio to the left wide and right wide speakers or any speakers that are located between the left, center, and right speakers. Audio is not upmixed to the center surround speaker.

A center spread on/off control enables you to spread the center image across a wider front soundstage. This optional feature is ideally suited for playback of two-channel music content or playback of channel-based content in a home theater design that employs a wider screen configuration than typical installations.

Even if the audio being received is 5.1 in nature and if you've only a 5.1 speakers setup (no additional Atmos speakers) then the Dolby surround upmixer still analyses and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands, accurately steering each individually. This supposedly results in a surround playback experience characterized by precisely located audio elements and a more spacious ambience (accordingg to Dolby).

Last edited:
@gibbsy hold up, I'm confused..
Prime from TV app is Dolby digital. ARC to amp from TV.

So if it goes to DD+ DOLBY SURROUND, what is it doing different from Dolby Digital in my 5.1?
With 5.1 Surround will do nothing. It will just play the native signal. When you install Atmos speakers then Surround will upmix to those. For BBC, ITV, et al that have the majority of their programmes in Dolby Stereo then those signals will upmix to 5.1 or 5.1.2. I use Surround all the time when watching TV.

Well it may be a placebo but I think I get more surround sound action with the DD+ DSur, noticeably more.

Dolby Surround is still applicable to a 5.1 source even if the setup is only a 5.1 speaker setup. Dolby Surround unlike Pro Logic does alter the discrete channels present and modefies the output. THis is why you get so many people reporting that the centre channel doesn't sound right if and when using Dolby Surround Upmixing.

DSU doesn't just create pseudo channels for those channels absent which a setup has speakers for, but also modifies and alters the discrete channels that are present.

Well it may be a placebo but I think I get more surround sound action with the DD+ DSur, noticeably more.
The Denon itself is very good at steering audio around as well.

Wow, what a piece of kit! Well impressed. I have a 5.1 set up and mostly watch Netflix and Prime but even with these I can hear so much more subtle sounds. The room actually sounds larger! Much better separation too, which is a massive part of surround sound for me.

So a question please..
Audio goes to avr from ARC HDMI from the TV...

I need to refresh my memory on sound formats etc, not needed to look at them for years!

Stuck a 4k UHD Disc in the xbox, 4k picture on TV and initially, even though I don't have Atmos, the amp went to Atmos so I changed the amp to True HD...

What else do I need to know?

I think dynamic compression is on as default do make sure you turn that off. I could be wrong but I think it is.

Hi,

can I just ask — are the speaker inputs banana plug sockets on the X3600?

Yes but you do need to remove/prise out the bungs in the binding posts to use banana plugs, a small screwdriver or screw usually does the trick.

Ah, so I could still use the inputs without bananas?

just checking to see if I need to buy banana plugs with a 3600

Yes just connect the bare ended wire to the binding post and make sure the binding post is screwed as tight as as possible.

Ah, so I could still use the inputs without bananas?

just checking to see if I need to buy banana plugs with a 3600
Yes just connect the bare ended wire to the binding post and make sure the binding post is screwed as tight as as possible.
Yep, definitely able to use banana plugs.
I kicked myself when I took delivery and realised I'd forgotten to order banana plugs.
Then when I unplugged the old amp, I realised I'd previously bought and terminated the speaker wires with banana plugs!

Last time I'd looked at the back of the amp, I was on my 30"s.... 😭

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom