Answered Denon AVR-X3500H - Would it make sense to bi-amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Enigma2k4, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Enigma2k4

Enigma2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

Sadly, my trusty Onkyo NR-808 has died in the move over to the UK. However, I am fortunate in that it will be covered by my insurance. With that, I am currently looking at the Denon AVR-X3500H as it's replacement.

Previously, I used to bi-amp my mains off the Onkyo (my mains are the DLS R55 found here), but given that the Denon is 180w per channel at 6ohm:
    1. Is it still necessary to bi-amp or would the power from the Denon be sufficient?
    2. Am I buying more power then I need? Should I look at the X2500H instead?
    3. Given that my budget is around £500, should I be looking at other options as well when doing my research?

Thanks all. :)

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by dante01, Jul 22, 2019 (1 points)
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,330
    Best Answer
    It makes more sense to use the back amplification to facilitate Atmos by powering the associated 2 Atmos enabled, ceiling or height speakers with those channels of amplification. THe benefits associated with passive bi-amping are marginal compared to the benefits associated with being able to portray Atmos and or DTS:X.

No, the Denon is not 180 watts driving 6ohm speakers. That rating only expresses what you'd get if only driving one channel in association with a signal that is 1 kHz in nature with 1% THD.

A more realistic appraisal is the 2 channel driven 8ohm, , 20 Hz - 20 kHz rating that rates the receiver as being able to output 105 watts with a THD of 0.08%. This is however just 2 channels driven and the wattage would be a lot lower if utilising more of the integral amplification modules onboard the receiver simultaneously.

THe receiver should be able to drive most speakers to reference without issue if used within a moderately sized room. THe sub would be handling the harder to amplify lower frequencies anyway as long as you set the speakers sizes to SMALL and redirect frequencies at and below 80Hz to it. THese are the frequencies that would lower the receivers headroom if it were dealing with them.

You can bi-amp, but the benefits of doing so will not outweigh what you'd gain by using the same amplification to drive Atmos speakers with. I'd only suggest you bi-amp speakers if you are positive that you'll never be able to accommodate either back speakers or Atmos speakers with a 7 channel AVR.

You may fond this article of onterest:
    Bi-amping vs Bi-wiring: What's the Difference and is it Audible?

It is more the content relating to bi-amping as opposed to bi-wiring that is of interest.

A much better solution would be to use an external 2 channel amp to power the fronts with as opposed to bi-amping them. This is far more likely to yield improvements depending upon the external amp you use. You need an AVR with pre outs in order to be able to do this.

Also note that the X3500 is only marginally more powerful than the X2500. The power difference if neither nor nere there. The benefits associated with the X3500 are the higher grade variant of Audyssey MultEQ room correction, its inclusion of pre outs for all channels, its additional HDMI zone abilties as well as a slighly better video processor.

Whether an amp is powerful enough to drive speakers to acceptable levels is determined by a multitude of factors and not just the wattage the amp can output without distortion, The room's size, your distance from the speakers and the sensitivety of those speakers all play a part in determining what is required:
    How to Match Speakers and Amps | The Master Switch

The issue that you are going to have to address is that associated with your speaker 4ohm impedance. This can cause lower tier less powerful AVR receivers issues due to the additional heat low impedance speakers result in. Many suggest that even Denon lower tier models fair well with low impedance loads though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,043
    It's been completely covered by Dante in the above post. Bi-amping from the same receiver brings no benefits at all. It just dilutes the overall power available to all channels.

5. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I have one for sale here. It’s a bit of bargain if you are interested! :)

6. Enigma2k4

Enigma2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    @dante01 . Wow! This is am amazing response. Thank you. It's well researched, well written and very conclusive. I really appreciate your effort here, if you were nearby, I'd be buying you a pint or 3 to say thanks :)

So in summary, bi-amping is unnecessary. That brings me back to the research phase. Should I be considering any other options that will compete with the Denon?

Sadly, at home I am only running with a 2.1 setup. I have the centre and surrounds, but as I am in a rented house, I am not planning on mounting the surrounds. Hence, this will remain as a 2.1 setup.

7. Enigma2k4

Enigma2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the offer. Let me conduct my research and then I will decide.

As you are in Ilford, and I am in Stratford, this could be an easy solution for both of us!

8. UMAR 3:16

UMAR 3:16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    It’s a superb amp, I need need more channels otherwise it would be a keeper for sure! Comes with warranty for piece of mind too! :)

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,043
    If this possible sale, or talk of the sale, goes any further can you both move it to the classifieds please to keep within the Forum rules.:smashin:

10. Enigma2k4

Enigma2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, will do :) Thank you