Denon AVR-X3500H 'Amp Assign' settings

jimmy777

Novice Member
I have recently bought the NAD C399 streaming amp to add to add to a Denon X3500H HT Receiver. I am wanting to use the NAD to power my 2 Fronts (for stereo music) and the Denon for the remaining speakers in a 5:1 system. I believe I have set up the relevant interconnects/speaker cables and Trigger correctly but struggling to grasp how to pick the correct 'Amp Assign' settings and what I need to do to 'Level match' after adding the amp. Could one of you fine people explain in 'newbie' jargon, the steps required to enable me to do this and if there is anything else I need to do. TIA

dante01

Distinguished Member
Simply connect the 2 channel amp to the AV receiver front pre outs. No additional assignments onboard the AV receiver would be required if you've only a 5.1 setup. The front pre outs are live regardless of the assignments.

Just use the same assignment configurations you were previously using with your 5.1 setup. You should obviously run Audyssey again though and do this with the external amplifier's master volume set no higher than mid way. The external amp should always to returned to this master volume setting while using it as an external amp in conjunction with the AV receiver.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I have recently bought the NAD C399 streaming amp to add to add to a Denon X3500H HT Receiver. I am wanting to use the NAD to power my 2 Fronts (for stereo music) and the Denon for the remaining speakers in a 5:1 system. I believe I have set up the relevant interconnects/speaker cables and Trigger correctly but struggling to grasp how to pick the correct 'Amp Assign' settings and what I need to do to 'Level match' after adding the amp. Could one of you fine people explain in 'newbie' jargon, the steps required to enable me to do this and if there is anything else I need to do. TIA
Pre outs are always active so just connect cables from the Denon LR pre outs to NAD.
Your 5.1 use is valid for all amp assign modes (you don't need to specify anything).

On the NAD select fixed volume
Fixed: Output level is fixed and the C 399’s Volume Control is bypassed. This feature is sometimes referred to as “Cinema Bypass” because it allows the C 399 to be used for the front channels of a surround sound system by relegating the volume control function to the surround processor.

You may want to set the fixed volume low to begin with just in case the NAD produces too loud test tones during Audyssey setup.
Use [f] button to go to Fixed Volume level setting. c Use front panel [a/s] or SR 9’s [A/S] buttons to set preferred dB level setting. Then, use front panel [d] or SR 9’s [D] button to save dB level selection and exit Fixed Volume setup mode.

To set levels power on NAD and Denon.
Run Audyssey setup on the Denon which will use the mic to set the correct levels on all of the speakers whatever they are connected to.
If it sets the front LR to max +positive value it means the fixed output on the NAD is too low so increase it.
If it sets the front LR to min -negative value it means the fixed output on the NAD is too high so decrease it.

jimmy777

Novice Member
Thank you very much Dante and 22midnight for your detailed responses. I will attempt to follow your instructions now I think I understand - Beware neighbours!!

jimmy777

Novice Member
Having said I have attached all interconnects, I am unsure if I have connected the rca cables correctly. There are no dedicated amp inputs on the Nad so I have used the Line 1 input connections. Is this correct? I am getting music from the front L/R speakers but it is a little disappointing and not very loud. I have the Nad volume fixed at -20db. Thanks for your patience

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom