Question Denon AVR-X3000 center channel defect

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mooms, Mar 26, 2018.

1. mooms

mooms
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have owned a Denon AVR-X3000 for about four years. Yesterday evening the centre channel seems to have gone defect. Some observations:
    • The noise comes only from the centre speaker.
    • The noise sounds like fire crackers and is sharper than FM noise (a 'crackle').
    • Not using the speaker -stereo mode- or disabling it in the speaker config disabled will remove the noise.
    • The volume of the noise is affected by the AVR volume level.
    • The centre speaker still plays sound. The noise is 'in addition' (hard to tell as it is much louder).
    • It is regardless of 'Audyssey' being turned on or not.
    • When listening (analog) CD input, there is little noise at the start, increasing in frequency as the AVR is used. It seems related to temperature. The noise also becomes more when there is not music input, e.g. CD on pause.
    • When listening to Spotify, it is continuous noise, no matter if I just turned it on.
    • When getting HDMI input, it is silent when there is no sound, sound, including menu-tones will be very distorted.
    • I reset the receiver and did the Audyssey setup. Instead of the ploing tones from centre speaker, I got noisy ones. It didn't change anything.
    • There seems to be perhaps a bit more 'random'/undefined behaviour in addition to the above; there is probably more that I haven't pinned down yet.
    As I would like to use the Denon -incl the centre channel- for some more time, the following question:
    • Is a schematic available for this device or does anyone have a suspicious which component should be replaced for this?
    • Does anyone recognize these symptoms and know if it is hopeless or not?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Are you sure it's the Denon? Have you tried the Centre speaker on another amp channel to see if it's ok and doesn't have an issue?

3. mooms

mooms
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup, I tried to do that and the DALI centre speaker sounds fine. It even plays well as centre speaker for the Denon, for the first minutes after I just turn it on with an analog source. I did find out that the subwoofer channel is bad as well (was not using it).

Reading this forum I've gotten the impression is that Denons are not particularly known for their longevity. My previous Sony receiver I used without problems for about 20 years and now it is still working fine at my parents. That the Denon does just 4 years -even if it had a bit of an elevated temperature- is a disappointment.

Anyways, the easy workaround is to just disable the centre and the subwoofer in the speaker config.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  4. mooms

mooms
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The solution for this was to replace the digital pcb. Getting this pcb replaced costs almost as much as the entire device, but it was covered by the warranty.