Denon AVR-X2700H vs Marantz NR1711

danped

Standard Member
We all know how it works, or at least this is the way it works with me. You want one new feature and it escalates from there. In my case bluetooth connectivity for my receiver. The old receiver is 10 yrs old and I'm looking at new ones. Although I want an AV receiver, I really want to be able to play music as well to as good a level as I find reasonable. I'll also probably add some speakers for £500ish in future, but for now I am looking at receivers.

I read Marantz are good for stereo so I looked at them and having escalated to get all the latest features to future proof I ended up at the NR1711. However I am a little worried about the 50w output (should I be?) Room is 6m x 4.5. I don't go crazy with volume but in future I may get something like the Q Accounsti 3050i. Not sure if these would be better off with a full size receiver.

I do have the space for a full size receiver, so I looked at the Denon AVR-X2700H which everyone seems to like but there is the issue of it getting warm. My space for it is below, so not much air space. How big an issue is this? I dont; want to have to buy a cooling fan or rack or anything as that is definitely taking things too far for my needs.

20220322_185231.jpg

So, do I need to worry about volume with the Marantz? And would the heat be an issue in this slot?

Thanks,
Dan

SeanBrothers

Why not get a bluetooth adapter for your existing system?

The Wiim mini is quite popular, inexpensive, and provides much more than bluetooth functionality with an optical output.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 901590

You know the x1600 and x1700 are shorter? Do they do what you want?

danped

Standard Member
Why not get a bluetooth adapter for your existing system?

The Wiim mini is quite popular, inexpensive, and provides much more than bluetooth functionality with an optical output.
My thought was I don't really want something else to have to plug in and if I'm going to spend another £100, why not upgrade and hopefully get some better features (Dolby atmos and music orientated). My existing Onkyo TX-SR508 is 10+ yrs old so I figured a few more quid and up to date one would give me a decent upgrade.

danped

Standard Member
You know the x1600 and x1700 are shorter? Do they do what you want?
Physically shorter? I think they probably would do what I wanted, but the price diff seemed to be £50-100 so I thought I'd start considering the newer version.

Edit: I looked and the x1600 and x1700 are 151mm high, the X2700H is 167mm So I see they are slimmer, but I guess the question is do they get very hot and need a good amount of air clearance or not?

Last edited:

gibbsy

All of the current Denon amps run pretty toasty. Good ventilation is essential to save repeated safety shutdowns. You can reduce the heat somewhat by using the Eco mode in it's full setting, however this does have an effect of how much power (wattage) is passed to the speakers.

slim01

We all know how it works, or at least this is the way it works with me. You want one new feature and it escalates from there. In my case bluetooth connectivity for my receiver. The old receiver is 10 yrs old and I'm looking at new ones. Although I want an AV receiver, I really want to be able to play music as well to as good a level as I find reasonable. I'll also probably add some speakers for £500ish in future, but for now I am looking at receivers.

I read Marantz are good for stereo so I looked at them and having escalated to get all the latest features to future proof I ended up at the NR1711. However I am a little worried about the 50w output (should I be?) Room is 6m x 4.5. I don't go crazy with volume but in future I may get something like the Q Accounsti 3050i. Not sure if these would be better off with a full size receiver.

I do have the space for a full size receiver, so I looked at the Denon AVR-X2700H which everyone seems to like but there is the issue of it getting warm. My space for it is below, so not much air space. How big an issue is this? I dont; want to have to buy a cooling fan or rack or anything as that is definitely taking things too far for my needs.

View attachment 1671727

So, do I need to worry about volume with the Marantz? And would the heat be an issue in this slot?

Thanks,
Dan

Ahhhhhh shame to see no replies to this post, I've been wondering basically the exact same things as you and even have the same amp (Except Bluetooth though, yeah I just got a £10 dongle from amzn).

After better music and heard marantz, but yeah the wattage on them looks really pathetic in comparison to even half the price others (denon 2700h or Sony dh 1080 or even 1700h) and I'm told my kef q550 like higher Watts.
Although some people on here say Watts is just a d*ick measuring contest. No idea who to believe 😂.

Phooo

I have a 2700h (and had a 2600 before for 2 years that I left as part of house sale) both are/where in ikea besta units with door on front .

I know this is not recommended and the 2700 in my current setup has no back on the unit so there is some air flow but I have never had either amp over heat .

Yes compared to my yamaha before denons do seem to run hot 🔥 but no issue's

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom