Denon AVR-X2700h Installation Help

BPrestbury

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have upgraded my Surround Sound Cinema setup for my 60th Birthday. I thought as I can't go anywhere or do anything special this was my best solution.

My setup consists of an LG OLED55CX TV, Denon AVR-X2700h surround sound amp, Virgin Tivo 6 Cable TV box, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu Ray Player, Apple 4K TV. All Connected with HDMI 2.1 cables bought from amazon with 505 reviews and all linked to the network using Cat6 ethernet cables rather than WiFi. My Speakers are the Q Acoustic 3000 5.1 package. Each device sounds and works perfectly but not together through the Denon amp as a system.

At present I have spent well over 8 hours trying to get things working correctly (my hair is now almost white) and can only get things working using HDMI ARC, HDMI Control off on the Denon, eARC On and HDMI CEC On set on the TV. I have to control each device separately to power on and select options. Everything works but not as a system. I have done the speaker calibration twice and sounds so real. I thought I had it all solved with HDMI Control On but got sound output but black screen when switching source and trying to watch my Virgin TIVO 6 box. I didn't power cycle though and maybe this is one of my problems. In the end I had to turn off HDMI Control and go back to HDMI ARC on my Denon to see my TIVO box. I have also had my input source on my Denon amp inadvertently continuously switching sources on my previous attempt. I had to pull the plug out and then turn off HDMI Control.

There are so many variables I pity a novice getting this all working. Its been 8 years for me since setting up my previous system which worked perfectly but every device was a Sony device purchased together kind of made it much easier.

I intend to try again on Black Friday but would like some help or guidance from the more experienced experts on this form on a more logical approach:

1. I wish to use my LG OLED CX to watch Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc content as a source with Denon as the sound output. I know I can do this through my TIVI box but thought the picture may be better through my LG direct.

2. I use most of the time LG OLED tv with Virgin TIVO 6 and Denon for sound.

3 I occasionally watch 4K Blu-ray / HD Blu-ray / DVD's Movies so need LG OLED tv, Panasonic DP-UB820 and Denon for sound. When I did the setup on the Denon amp the Blu-ray content opened full screen rather than in a window and pressing back didn't work so I couldn't complete it. My Blu-ray worked afterwards though.

4. I use Apple 4K TV for my apple tv, music match library and photos library through my LG OLED tv and Denon for sound.

I believe I need to set each up one separately i.e. one at a time (all other devices unplugged). Once tested turn off then pull the plugs out and back in to power cycle them and test all works ok. This should help identify any problem areas to focus on. If I have a problem device then I could plug it directly into the LG OLED tv and see if that worked.

I would like some advice, suggestions and guidance on where to start or the best approach or if I've missed something to achieve each of the 4 selections above.

Settings for HDMI Audio Out = AVR
Settings for HDMI Pass Through = ON
Pass Through Source = Last? Not sure
RC Source = Power On + Source
HDMI Control = On
HDMI ARC = On
TV Audio Switching = ? Not sure
Power Off Control = All ?
Power Saving = On ?
4K/8K Signal Format = Enhanced ?
HDCP Setup = Auto or should I set this to 2.3 (most devices I think are 2.2 except the LG OLED tv is 2.3/.

LG OLED CX
Sound Out = HDMI ARC
eARC = On
HDMI CEC = On

Not sure about the Smart Link settings.

HDMI CEC is a PITA and the more evices you have then the more likely it is to start causing issues. If wanting to use CEC then you'd have to turn it on onboard the AV receiver as welll as the other devices connected to that AV receiver.

I'd tend to suggest not relying upon it and investing in one of LOgitech's Harmony remores or their Hub. This will give you far more versatility and control than HDMI CEC can provide without the associated problems you get with HDMI CEC.

Note that if wanting to use ARC then HDMI Control needs to be engaged onboard both the TV () and the AV receiver. eARC doesnt strictly speaking need HDMI CEC though, but you'd still need to engage it if wanting the auto aource switching associated with ARC when using eARC.

If wishing to use the apps onboard the TV in conjunction with the AV receiver for the audio, engage ARC onboard the TV and the AV receiver. Set the distal output option on the TV that is shown with the ARC and eATC setting to PASS THROUGH or AUTO. On the AV receiver, turn on ARC and HDMI control. The AV receiver should now automatically switch itself to its TV ARC source if and when you start using apps such as Netflix.

If ARC stills doesn't work, put both the TV and the AVR into standby and then power them back up. This will establish a new HDMI handshake between the devices. If you still don;t get any audio, consider replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR. It needs to berated HIGH SPEED and be ethernet channel compliant. I'd suggest using one of Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables. They are both reliable and affordable:

Amazon product ASIN B014I8SSD0

Last edited:
As above, HDMI CEC is the spawn of the devil, it has a mind of it's own and is impossible to control. Your problem is wanting to use ARC which usually requires HDMI CEC being activated, although on the Denon you can activate it independently. I don't know about the LG, but on my Panasonic ARC will not function without HDMI CEC/Viera Link switched on.

Point taken about image quality being better from TV apps rather than your Virgin box, but if it was me, I'd suck that up, use the Virgin box for apps and switch off all ARC/HDMI CEC options. Then just input all your sources into the Denon, with one HDMI output to the LG. Everything should then switch nicely and "remember" settings required.

Also as above, I use a Harmony remote, so just a one button push to watch Sky TV or app via Sky box, same for Blu ray, same for internet radio/music streaming. It's so easy it's a no brainer.

Now there may be a way to set up ARC so you can use your TV apps, but bearing in mind the mucking fuddle it's got you in so far. I'd leave it for now.

Forget about using the apps onboard the V6 STB You'd not get Dolby Vision via the V6. You'll get better images via the apps onboard the TV itself.

One other drawback related to relying upon HDMI CEC for control of devoices is the fact that the Virgin Media V6 box doesn't include HDMI Control or CEC so will not facilitate you controlling it using HDMI CEC.

Last edited:
Forget about using the apps onboard the V6 STV. You'd not get Dolby Vision via the V6. You'll get better images via the apps onboard the TV itself.

Yes we know that, but the guy is seriously stressed because of trying to use the TV Apps which require ARC/HDMI control !

Inputting and viewing everything via the Denon will allow him to switch that all off and bypass the grief! I myself tried to use ARC as a workaround because my AVR didn't passthrough HDR, but it was such a nightmare in action that I gave up and bought a new AVR!

There's no reason why ARC shouldn't work. You appear to be suggest he gives up trying to get it to do so?

Using the Netflix app onboard the V6 box means he's not getting Dolby Vision. He asked whether there'd be any reason not to access Netflix via the V6 and that is a reason not to. Are there any advantages to using the app onboard the TV? Yes, you'll get Dolby Vision HDR.

If his Apple TV is the 4K variant then use that to access Netflix as opposed to the VM V6. That will give you Dolby Vision HDR via its Netflix app.

Last edited:
I should also stress that if wanting to use ARC then you'd need to ensure that you are connecting the AV receiver MONITOR 1 ARC enabled output to the TV's HDMI 2 ARC enabled input. THe TV on;y has one input that is ARC enabled and only this one input will fascilitate outputting audio from the TV to the AVT using ARC.

Seems silly to suggest it, but make sure you are using the correct HDMI ports.

Denon themselves have posted the following help guide ralating to ARC:

There's no reason why ARC shouldn't work. You appear to be suggest he gives up trying to get it to do so?

Using the Netflix app onboard the V6 box means he's not getting Dolby Vision. He asked whether there'd be any reason not to access Netflix via the V6 and that is a reason not to. Are there any advantages to using the app onboard the TV? Yes, you'll get Dolby Vision HDR.

If his Apple TV is the 4K variant then use that to access Netflix as opposed to the VM V6. That will give you Dolby Vision HDR via its Netflix app.

Yes I'm suggesting that very thing. I freely acknowledged in my earlier post that he would forsake some potential image quality by doing so, but at least he wouldn't be driven mad by a system that doesn't work as a system. I don't know about Virgin, but Sky provides HDR now on Netflix, so if Virgin doesn't yet do so it may well do so in the near future.

At the end of the day if the OP wants to continue to experiment with using ARC that's his call, I'm merely suggesting a grief free alternative in the meantime.

Neither Virgin or SKY provide any provision for dynamic Dolby Vision. You'd get static HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision. You can also get HLG via the iPlayer app onboard the V6. Neither SKY's or VM's STBs are compliant with what is required for Dolby Vision though so will never have the ability to output it.

Last edited:
Neither Virgin or SKY provide any provision for dynamic Dolby Vision. You'd get static HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision. You can also get HLG vua the iPLayer app onboard the V6. Neither SKY's or VM's STBs are compliant with what is required for Dolby Vision though so will never have the ability to output it.

I didn't claim that Sky provided Dolby Vision, but it does provide HDR 10 on Netflix as well as a limited amount of HLG on it's own channels.

HDMI CEC is a PITA and the more evices you have then the more likely it is to start causing issues. If wanting to use CEC then you'd have to turn it on onboard the AV receiver as welll as the other devices connected to that AV receiver.

I'd tend to suggest not relying upon it and investing in one of LOgitech's Harmony remores or their Hub. This will give you far more versatility and control than HDMI CEC can provide without the associated problems you get with HDMI CEC.

Note that if wanting to use ARC then HDMI Control needs to be engaged onboard both the TV () and the AV receiver. eARC doesnt strictly speaking need HDMI CEC though, but you'd still need to engage it if wanting the auto aource switching associated with ARC when using eARC.

If wishing to use the apps onboard the TV in conjunction with the AV receiver for the audio, engage ARC onboard the TV and the AV receiver. Set the distal output option on the TV that is shown with the ARC and eATC setting to PASS THROUGH or AUTO. On the AV receiver, turn on ARC and HDMI control. The AV receiver should now automatically switch itself to its TV ARC source if and when you start using apps such as Netflix.

If ARC stills doesn't work, put both the TV and the AVR into standby and then power them back up. This will establish a new HDMI handshake between the devices. If you still don;t get any audio, consider replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR. It needs to berated HIGH SPEED and be ethernet channel compliant. I'd suggest using one of Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables. They are both reliable and affordable:

Amazon product ASIN B014I8SSD0

Thanks for your advice above I will retry again this afternoon. LG advise me to connect the Tivo box to direct to their tv (as the Tivo box doesn't support HDCP2.2 or HDMI Control functions properly) and use sound output as HDMI Arc and sound will come out through the eARC connection into my Denon amp. Denon pretty much advise the same but I will try a different hdmi cable first and see if I still get the black screen with the tivo box and sound through Denon problem or it may have gone away. I think all my other sources will work fin with HDMI Control On. I will look in the future at Logitech remote but not for now as I've spent enough and my other half will kill me lol.

As above, HDMI CEC is the spawn of the devil, it has a mind of it's own and is impossible to control. Your problem is wanting to use ARC which usually requires HDMI CEC being activated, although on the Denon you can activate it independently. I don't know about the LG, but on my Panasonic ARC will not function without HDMI CEC/Viera Link switched on.

Point taken about image quality being better from TV apps rather than your Virgin box, but if it was me, I'd suck that up, use the Virgin box for apps and switch off all ARC/HDMI CEC options. Then just input all your sources into the Denon, with one HDMI output to the LG. Everything should then switch nicely and "remember" settings required.

Also as above, I use a Harmony remote, so just a one button push to watch Sky TV or app via Sky box, same for Blu ray, same for internet radio/music streaming. It's so easy it's a no brainer.

Now there may be a way to set up ARC so you can use your TV apps, but bearing in mind the mucking fuddle it's got you in so far. I'd leave it for now.

I have the attitude I never give up as I always solve these kind of problems but know it can take time. I am moving Tivo direct into my tv and using sound through HDMI Arc into Denon out as LG tell me this will work and fix thr black screen with sound problem. All my other source work ok with HDMI CEC, HDMI Control and eARC so I get half working through Denon and half working through LG for video but all working through Denon for sound.

Forget about using the apps onboard the V6 STB You'd not get Dolby Vision via the V6. You'll get better images via the apps onboard the TV itself.

One other drawback related to relying upon HDMI CEC for control of devoices is the fact that the Virgin Media V6 box doesn't include HDMI Control or CEC so will not facilitate you controlling it using HDMI CEC.

I am going to setup Netflix and Prime to work through TV. I already have them working through Tivo. That way I can try each and adopt the best. Once again thanks for your help.

Yes we know that, but the guy is seriously stressed because of trying to use the TV Apps which require ARC/HDMI control !

Inputting and viewing everything via the Denon will allow him to switch that all off and bypass the grief! I myself tried to use ARC as a workaround because my AVR didn't passthrough HDR, but it was such a nightmare in action that I gave up and bought a new AVR!

Though I do get seriously stressed (spent 3 hours trying to get the Virgin boosters working last night what a nightmare but it now works). It seems nothing these days works simple out of the box. All my equipment are brand new latest spec possible but different brands so there was always going to be teething problems. My last setup was all Sony and it worked first time but Sony have fallen away from being leaders and everyone appears to have overtaken them for 2020.

Thanks again. Its weird but on this setup all my equipment can access Netflix and Prime so my choices are endless. Picture quality and sound quality is everything to me so I will do my best to make it all work with Dolby Vision HDR. I might eventually add Dolby Atmos enable front speakers but I need their sizes to become a little more compact to site on my Q Acoustic 3010 speakers and look right.

I didn't claim that Sky provided Dolby Vision, but it does provide HDR 10 on Netflix as well as a limited amount of HLG on it's own channels.

I have only just moved from Sky after 25 years to Virgin and Sky picture quality is so much better Virgin along with the menu and box technology. Virgin have a lot of learning and catching up to beat Sky. I find Netflix to be better than both!

The V6 can be connected to the AV receiver. The Virgin Media V6 is fully HDCP 2.2 compliant and 4K UHD capable.

I've a V6 connected to a Yamaha RX-A1050 AV receiver which is in turn connected to an LG C9. There's nothing to gain or advantage associated with connecting the V6 directly to the TV as opposed to having it connected to your AV receiver.

The V6 can be connected to the AV receiver. The Virgin Media V6 is fully HDCP 2.2 compliant and 4K UHD capable.

I've a V6 connected to a Yamaha RX-A1050 AV receiver which is in turn connected to an LG C9. There's nothing to gain or advantage associated with connecting the V6 directly to the TV as opposed to having it connected to your AV receiver.

The main problem with my last attempt which I really thought I had everything working was switching back to the V6 box source resulted in a Black screen and sound coming out of the Denon. If I rebooted the Virgin box or Denon I got a brief menu then a Black screen again or just a black screen with sound coming out of the Denon. There could be a setting that is wrong but I couldn't find what could be causing the Black screen. I had to turn off HDMI Control and use just HDMI Arc on. This resulted in losing remote control functionally and sitting down with three remotes on my knee to watch anything which is where I gave up last week.

I'd suggest it an issue with the Denon receiver. Denon should address this as opposed to telling you something that is in effect incorrect. THe V6 isn't the issue, the issue is with the AV receiver. Also try using a different HDMI cable between both the V6 and the AVR as well as between the AVT and your TV.

HDMI Control is of no relevance and will have no effect relative to the V6 or its operation.

Connecting the V6 dorectly to your TV still means you'd need to use the V6's own remote to control it. Not at all sure as to what you've gained by connecting it directly to your TV?

I'd strongly suggest that you not rely upon HDMI CEC and I'd again suggest you look into getting yourself a Harmony remote or even the Harmony hub if you've a iPad or a tablet you can use as a remote?

Last edited:
I'd suggest it an issue with the Denon receiver. Denon should address this as opposed to telling you something that is in effect incorrect. THe V6 isn't the issue, the issue is with the AV receiver. Also try using a different HDMI cable between both the V6 and the AVR as well as between the AVT and your TV.

HDMI Controlis of no relevance and will have no effect relative to the V6 or its operation.

I will try the cables as I have two to swap with. When I googled Virgin Tivo and black screen there was a lot of people with this problem but as soon as I turn off HDMI control the picture came back. There are some additional options in the manual linked with HDMI control it could be one of these settings causing the problem. What does power cycle mean to you as I'm not sure if it's just switch to standby and witch back on or pulling the plug from stand by and plugging back in.

A power cycle would be as you suggest and is whereby you'd power the unit or units down into standby and then power them back up again. This will effectively reboot the HDMI handshake between devices.

Also note that if it was an HDCP issue as LG implied then you'd not be getting any audio either. Regardless, what they said about the V6 not being HDCP 2.2 compliant is incorrect.

Last edited:
one other thing to try that may be effective if it is indeed an HDCP issue. Go to the HDCP setting on the AV receiver and set this to the 2.3 option as opposed to the AUTO option. See what effect this has?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom