Denon AVR-X2700H in 2022?

Jay53

My understanding is that the x1700 and x2700 both have the same Audyssey MultEQ XT.

The x3700 and upwards have XT32 with Sub EQ HT.

The S series models only have the MultEQ. (Note, not XT).

In which case what extras are you getting with the x2700 to justify spending extra and getting a bit less future proofing hdmi wise :(

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
They do on US x1700 / x2700 models as zone2 has stereo preout.

Didn't know x1700 had same DACs as x4700. Does that make the higher than the x2700/x3700?

Makes the next question even more relevant.

Is the x2700 sonically (yes it has better auddesy, whoop de do lol) that much better than the x1700 as the price is not much different and appears that's the only reason to trade working multiple hdmi 2.1 inputs for?

Yeah DACs have come long way and company like D&M boughts them in zillion peaces so they can use the same part for most of their models.

X2700H has larger capacitors identical to X3700H, bit more power (95w vs. 80w), high grade audio components which may mean better reliability?, more connections (2x hdmi outputs) , nicer looking advanced menu.

denon-comparison-png.1672489

If you would really have need for more 2.1 inputs in future then you could buy this external box, but the price is salty..

Jay53

Yeah DACs have come long way and company like D&M boughts them in zillion peaces so they can use the same part for most of their models.

X2700H has larger capacitors identical to X3700H, bit more power (95w vs. 80w), high grade audio components which may mean better reliability?, more connections (2x hdmi outputs) , nicer looking advanced menu.

denon-comparison-png.1672489

If you would really have need for more 2.1 inputs in future then you could buy this external box, but the price is salty..

Cheers for that. Strange they don't mention the 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs on the x1700 Vs 1 on the x2700

I would point out though that the comparison is based on the us versions of each model which have some differences to the UK models :)

D

Deleted member 901590

I've been thinking about this. Thinking of the person who originally bought the x3100 I'm using now back in 2014. Well, it said it was 4K. Of course, we know now that it isn't really, as it doesn't do HDCP - so it is pointless, really just 1080 passthrough.

And it made me think.

For people buying HDMI 2.1 AVRs today because they need/want it to support their gaming (latest Xbox or PS) then fair enough.

For people buying HDMI 2.1 AVRs "to future protect". Well, you know what I'm gonna say. Whatever new things there are with video in (say) 4 years time. HDR10+++ or Dolby Super Ultra Vision or whatever it will end up being... surely there's a strong likelihood that whatever it is the AVRs they are selling today will not support it?

SnowJim

I've been thinking about this. Thinking of the person who originally bought the x3100 I'm using now back in 2014. Well, it said it was 4K. Of course, we know now that it isn't really, as it doesn't do HDCP - so it is pointless, really just 1080 passthrough.

And it made me think.

For people buying HDMI 2.1 AVRs today because they need/want it to support their gaming (latest Xbox or PS) then fair enough.

For people buying HDMI 2.1 AVRs "to future protect". Well, you know what I'm gonna say. Whatever new things there are with video in (say) 4 years time. HDR10+++ or Dolby Super Ultra Vision or whatever it will end up being... surely there's a strong likelihood that whatever it is the AVRs they are selling today will not support it?

I am one of those that do not really need HDMI 2.1 today, but I need a new AVR because my Yamaha RX-A3030 from 2013(about 9 years) have a couple of strange problems (in my setup) and it does not support HDR.

So why not just buy a used AVR with HDR? The second-hand market is expensive and vary limited where I live. A used Yamaha RX-A3030 is about 400 EUR today, a new X2700H is 900 EUR.

I was about to buy a new AVR for 2 years ago, but I heard about the HDMI 2.1 and it sounded like a bigger technical step so I decided to wait. Unfortunately, there was some trouble with HDMI 2.1 that seems to be resolved now.

The problem with X2700H might be that it only got 1 port with 8K HDMI 2.1 but even if this port would be taken by a console (like PS5) I don't see that 8K will be a video streaming standard anytime soon (5-10 years).

Generally, I don't have the cravings to use every new sound\picture technology that is released, at least not on the release day. In 2018 we switched from Plasma to OLED and after watching the HDR effect we wanted to get it working. The problem was that the Yamaha did not support it, so we had to connect source > TV > AVR. Usually this is the way to go when the receiver does not have the correct support but, in this case, it created other problems like picture and sound dropouts. I tried to fix it for a long time, but I gave finally up and connected source > AVR > TV without HDR. There are also still problems with the Nintendo Switch, either we have video dropouts, or we will just get stereo sound, as today we choose stereo.

Otherwise, we do not run any complicated system, it’s still just 5.1 sound just like 10 years ago. I really dislike that the AVR are so involved with the video now a days, if the AVR do not support some picture related future, tuff luck buy new or get a load of problems.

SnowJim

Talked to Denon and they acknowledged that they hade new AV:s on its way but could not say when. We are happy with the X2700H for now but we usually have AV:s many, many years so its not easy to decide if we should return and wait or just accept the X2700H. We don't know what the new version will contain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 901590

The sign new models are coming is prices starting to drop... look at x3700 now.

SnowJim

Here in Sweden its still the same price across the board. Often they don't lower the price until the new is actually on the shelfs.

I have a return receipt that last 60 days but I suspect that the new AV will not arrive until summer and it will probably still be hard to get one.

SnowJim

It seems like Denon usually announce its line-up in june/july and are available about September. So that means I will have to wait 5, almost 6 month until I get a new AVR. So what is it that I will wait on? There is no new tech(that I know of) so the main new features will probably be 3 HDMI 1.2 ports instead of just 1.

Right now there is no need for HDMI 1.2 in my setup but yes, I might buy a PS5 or XBOX in the future and a new Nintendo might also get HDMI 1.2 eventually. But my current TV(LG OLED65C8) do not support HDMI 1.2 so it will have to be replaced and then that is done I could just connect the console to the TV and then let the eARC take care of the audio.

I see vary little reason to wait almost 6 month on a new AVR. Yes the same money will probably give me more tech but that is tech I don't really need.

There is a possibility that Denon updates any of their own techs, that is impossible for me to say. I don't know how often then comes with new stuff from their own software.

rdwarrior

Novice Member
AV Novice here and at 85, getting too old to understand the new technology. Just trying to upgrade my living room sound. Recently received a brand new Denon AVR-X2700H as a gift.
I cannot seem to figure out how to connect an Atmos powered soundbar to the Denon and my Sony Bravia TV. The TV only supports ARC, not eARC.
What outputs do I use from the AVR, and can it be done so that the entire system turns off when the AVR is shut down?
There are two HDMI and Optical connections on the back of the AVR, but they indicate 8K usage.
Am I trying to do something not possible? I appreciate any help received.

gibbsy

I cannot seem to figure out how to connect an Atmos powered soundbar
Welcome to the Forum.

You cannot use a powered soundbar with any AV amp. They are two different types of audio delivery. The X2700 needs to be connected to passive separate speakers and a powered subwoofer. It is possible to connect the Denon to a passive soundbar but this is really a very poor idea.

AV amps like the X2700 are a much more powerful tool than a soundbar and with the right speakers in the right positions for Atmos, then the audio immersion is far far superior to that of an Atmos soundbar.

If you want to use a soundbar then the X2700 is redundant and should perhaps be returned to the dealer.

rdwarrior

Novice Member
Thanks for the response. The X2700 was given to me by the wife of a friend who passed away recently. He bought it and never got to open the box, and she knew I had 17-year-old equipment. I don't think she would appreciate me returning it, so I am going to replace my aging Sony STR-DE845 AVR with it.
I am currently using a Pinnacle three channel passive soundbar connected to the AVR speaker jacks, for left, right and center speakers. Using 10" bass reflex box, and two ceiling mounted 8" speakers.
Space won't allow any other separate speakers, nor wiring all over the room. It's just a living room environment trying to get nice crisp sound, not a home theater environment. I guess I will just replace the AVR using what I have, try to find a better sounding soundbar to go with it, and forget the Atmos.
Thanks again for your response.

DavidT

Thanks for the response. The X2700 was given to me by the wife of a friend who passed away recently. He bought it and never got to open the box, and she knew I had 17-year-old equipment. I don't think she would appreciate me returning it, so I am going to replace my aging Sony STR-DE845 AVR with it.
I am currently using a Pinnacle three channel passive soundbar connected to the AVR speaker jacks, for left, right and center speakers. Using 10" bass reflex box, and two ceiling mounted 8" speakers.
Space won't allow any other separate speakers, nor wiring all over the room. It's just a living room environment trying to get nice crisp sound, not a home theater environment. I guess I will just replace the AVR using what I have, try to find a better sounding soundbar to go with it, and forget the Atmos.
Thanks again for your response.
Is this what you have......

Attachments

• qp9-s.jpg
    qp9-s.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 54

rdwarrior

Novice Member
That is what I have, but not certain of the speaker config. The connections are the same going to the Left, Center, and Right RCA terminals on the back of my AVR, with separate plug-in for my bass reflex box..

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom