Denon AVR-X2700H but no TV with ARC

Eggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to purchase the Denon AVR-X2700H to replace my existing Denon AVR-2803 because I would like to take advantage of the HD soundtracks on blu ray discs. I am receiving mixed information about the ARC feature. My TV doe not support ARC but I am not sure whether this is a problem. All I want to do is to connect a blu ray player to the AVR via HMDI and then the AVR to the TV, again with HDMI. I have no interest in watching TV programs through the home cinema system. So if I set up my system as described would I be able to watch my blu rays with the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.

I will be using my current KEF 2005.2 eggs as I can not afford to upgrade the speakers as well.

Also, I have heard that the 2700H gets very hot which I don't think is normal. My current Denon only gets warm even after 3 hours of use.

Any help and advice will be most appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to the Forum.

If you TV isn't ARC capable then hopefully it will have a digital optical output with which you can connect to the Denon. Connecting all your playing sources by HDMI to the Denon will easily provide you with HD audio and more if you wish to go the Atmos route.

The newer Denons do run very hot and good ventilation is essential. You could boil a kettle on top of my X6500.

Thank you Gibbsy. Yes my TV does have a digital output but if I have no intentions of watching TV programs through the external speakers do I really need to worry about ARC?

If not wanting to access audio via the TV itself (as though it were an audio source) then no, you'd have no use for or reason to use ARC or the digital audio output on that TV.

Thank you dante01. But why does the newer Denons get so hot?
You can reduce the operating temperature by using the Eco mode. There are three settings, off/on/auto. If you have it set to off it will reduce the power available and as a consequence reduce the overall temperature of the unit. Auto will run at a reduced power but up it when speaker heavy use is called for by any soundtrack.

Depending on your room and your speakers Eco on may suit you. Doesn't suit my room or speakers even though I have the front left and right driven by an external amp.

As long as you have adequate ventilation then there should be no problem. There is a very good safety cut out on the Denons and it will work to save permanent damage to the amp. Even though they do run quite a bit hotter than the old models it is still within very safe operating temperatures. Look on the bright side in the winter it could save your gas bill.

Thank you Gibbsy. I was thinking the same with regards to saving money on the gas bill in the winter. However, if I am still concerned about it then there are always the fan units you can buy to put on top of the unit. Seems to be quite popular for some people.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom