DENON AVR-X2700H BOSE AM10 PASSIVE SUBWOOFER

apollian

Novice Member
Hey guys,

I've been using a AVR DENON 2000 for the last 8 years with the passive subwoofer from my Bose AM10s. And just upgraded to a Denon avr-x2700h, I have tried nearly every thing to get them working and the bass is just not there.

Denon believes that these new receivers don't support passive subs anymore, which I find hard to believe since I've been using the same set up for almost a decade.
So what are my options? Can I swap out the bass module for a AM15 powered subwoofer? Or just add another subwoofer pre out.

rccarguy2

Burn the Bose speakers and subwoofer and buy new speakers and active sub.

Denon is correct a avr won't power a passive sub

Jay53

Is the AM10 a 5 main outputs from the AVR go into the sub and then the 5 satellite speakers come off the back of the sub? I.e. it's a 5.0 system where you specify all speakers are large, no sub and let the AM10 do the filtering

In which case how would these latest AVRs not be able to power that?

rccarguy2

Your avr does room EQ as well, as does the sub module

Just buy new speakers and sub

apollian

Novice Member
Is the AM10 a 5 main outputs from the AVR go into the sub and then the 5 satellite speakers come off the back of the sub? I.e. it's a 5.0 system where you specify all speakers are large, no sub and let the AM10 do the filtering

In which case how would these latest AVRs not be able to power that?
Yes that's correct, I used a Denon AVR 2000 and it's worked well there. I've set the front speakers to large as that's where most of the pass through is giving the Sub power. It sounds Improved biy no where near what I had before.

rccarguy2

You need to set subwoofer to off, and other speakers set to large

Jay53

As above, it's vital that it is set no sub, all speakers large

Otherwise if the avr told there is a sub, it will direct any low frequencies for speakers still set to small plus the LFE channel output to a non existent sub :(

For reference I have an Acoustimass 5 connected via the passive Bose sub to F/C/R/LS/RS on a Yamaha rx-v667 all set to large. I also have two additional bose twin cubes connected directly to L rear and and R rear both set to small.

Works well and at least gives me a 7.1 setup.

At some point when all this hdmi 2.1 chipset avr palaver is sorted I will upgrade this system so I can do Atmos )as rx-v667 is somewhat dated lol) and route Xbox series through an hdmi 2.1 feature avr but that is a while away :)

Last edited:

apollian

Novice Member
Your avr does room EQ as well, as does the sub module

Just buy new speakers and sub
See, I'm not sure if that's worth it.
Shouldn't I just be able to add a Sub pre out?
Why spend money on a whole new system.
As above, it's vital that it is set no sub, all speakers large

Otherwise if the avr told there is a sub, it will direct any low frequencies for speakers still set to small plus the LFE channel output to a non existent sub :(

For reference I have an Acoustimass 5 connected via the passive Bose sub to F/C/R/LS/RS on a Yamaha rx-v667 all set to large. I also have two additional bose twin cubes connected directly to L rear and and R rear both set to small.

Works well and at least gives me a 7.1 setup.

At some point when all this hdmi 2.1 chipset avr palaver is sorted I will upgrade this system so I can do Atmos )as rx-v667 is somewhat dated lol) and route Xbox series through an hdmi 2.1 feature avr but that is a while away :)
There's a few guy's that have said the same thing, well that was the first thing I did, and there's zero bass that comes out.
At the moment, I have all speakers set as small, and front set as large, and Sub off, and I'm starting to hear a little bass.
But the settings everyone keeps talking about gives me no bass at all.

dante01

Distinguished Member
AV receivers are designed to use an active sub. The AV receiver's bass management cannot be utilised to mazimum effect in conjunction with a passive sub and this makes it difficult to integrate a passive sub into a setup if using an AV receiver.

Setting the front speakers as being small and setting the crossovers to be applied onboard the AV receiver will only work if you've an active sub connected to the AV receiver\s subwoofer pre out. Tghis is why you have to set the front stereo pair as being LARGE and the sub option to NONE. This results in all speakers set as SMALL having their lower end frequencies at and below their associated crossover configurations being redirected to the front left and right speakers. It also results in an discrete LFE channel being snt to the front 2 speakers instead of out via the sub pre out.

THis puts a lot of strain upon the AV receiver's front left and right amplification stages because they are driving not only the left and eight speakers, but also the sub and all the other speakers sre having their harder to amplify low end frequencies redirected to the front left and right speakers.

Using an active sub reduces the strain being put upon the AV receiver and also gives you more flexibity as the how you apply the bass management. An active sub has its own onboard amplification and power supply. You'll also be able to level it and set its distance indepently of the front left and right speakers.

Jay53

There's a few guy's that have said the same thing, well that was the first thing I did, and there's zero bass that comes out.
At the moment, I have all speakers set as small, and front set as large, and Sub off, and I'm starting to hear a little bass.
But the settings everyone keeps talking about gives me no bass at all.

The sub is expecting full range i.e large from all five speaker inputs and does its own filtering to send the relevant Freq to the sub and satellite speakers.

If setting all five speakers to large and no sub output on the AVR results in low/no low frequencies then something else is amiss with the configuration.

Just trying to eliminate possibilities here.

Is all wiring from the AVR to sub the correct way around i.e. are any wired out of phase to others as I have done that before lol

What's the impedance of the bose speakers and is the AVR set accordingly?

What's happens when you play test tones (not built in ones, try using a separate test source) to each of the five channels. Do any of the speakers result in lower bass output than the others?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom