Denon AVR X2700H and SkyQ not playing nicely :(

Twigman

Novice Member
I have SkyQ and a Denon X2700H amp.
I have SkyQ connected via HDMI to the CBL/SAT HDMI input on the Denon which is connected to the LG OLED TV via the ARC HDMI connection.
I regularly get a black screen when switching to the Sky input after watching another source. If I then witch the power button I briefly see the SkyQ home page before the SkyQ box goes into standby. The only solution seems to be to do a full reboot of SkyQ.
I have read advice that states to switch off ARC - but if i was to switch off ARC I would not be able to get audio from the TV to the amp and so would have no audio when viewing apps on the TV as the ONLY connection from the amp to the TV is HDMI via the ARC connection.
So that is not an option.
It is a total PITA to have to reboot the SkyQ box everytime I switch back to the Sky input after viewing another source.
Why is the SkyQ box the ONLY device in my system that has this problem communicating with the amp?
Is there a fix for this or am I doomed to reboot the SkyQ box several times a day?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Have you tried: On the TV:
Switch inputs from the AVR in /ARC out (Q box effectively) to another hdmi input and back?
{The idea is to force a new handshake between Q and TV through the AVR.

Alternatively connect Q to a spare TV hdmi input and use ARC sound back to the AVR?
That may prove something also.

Twigman

Novice Member
Have you tried: On the TV:
Switch inputs from the AVR in /ARC out (Q box effectively) to another hdmi input and back?
{The idea is to force a new handshake between Q and TV through the AVR.

Alternatively connect Q to a spare TV hdmi input and use ARC sound back to the AVR?
That may prove something also.
The ONLY input I have to the TV is the ARC HDMI cable from the amp so there are no alternative sources on the TV to select other than Apps on the TV- nothing else is connected. Often the Sky black screen occurs when switching back from a TV based app (Netflix/Youtube/Web browser) to the SkyQ input.

I have not tried connecting the SkyQ directly to the TV and using the TV input on the amp for audio - and I really don't want that setup - one HDMI cable to TV is far neater and makes the system easier to manage.

The fact is having my devices connected to inputs on my amp, using the amp to switch source and having a single HDMI cable connected to my TV SHOULD WORK.

Why doesn't it? and why is it ONLY the SkyQ box which throws a wobbler?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Hdmi cec is a lottery as to if / when it works.

If it happens when switching back from an app - try switching the AVR to another input and back to the Q.

If the TV has other inputs (TV tuner, unused hdmi ins) switching to/from should force the handshake and an unused input may work fine.

My setup gives me a black screen from the AVR often enough on power up and the switch TV input trick works every time for me and my PVR (not $ky). You need to try the alternatives to be able to lay the 'fault' at the door of one device or another.

If all else fails: ask $ky you pay them $$$$s make em work for your cash.

Twigman

Novice Member
Hdmi cec is a lottery as to if / when it works.

If it happens when switching back from an app - try switching the AVR to another input and back to the Q.

If the TV has other inputs (TV tuner, unused hdmi ins) switching to/from should force the handshake and an unused input may work fine.

My setup gives me a black screen from the AVR often enough on power up and the switch TV input trick works every time for me and my PVR (not $ky). You need to try the alternatives to be able to lay the 'fault' at the door of one device or another.

If all else fails: ask $ky you pay them $$$$s make em work for your cash.
mmmm
I found a thread on the Sky community board complaining of SkyQ freezing to black screen with Denon AVRs...
It seems I am not alone.......and it would seem to be a Sky problem - and typical of Sky they are ignoring it.

DavidT

The Denon supports eARC so if the LG TV does too then try switching hdmi control off on both devices and make sure both devices are setup for eARC rather than ARC. You could also try different hdmi cables and make sure they are high speed hdmi cables.

Last edited:

gibbsy

I had this problem with my X6500 and SkyQ. It's a Sky problem. They blame Denon but it also happens with other makes of AV amps as well. Make sure your Sky box firmware is up to date. It does seem to have solved the problem.

1. Turn off the Denon.
2. Turn off SkyQ.
3. Turn the Denon back on and select your other input.

Your problem may be exasperated because you use ARC from the LG. The solution that I found may be your best alternative to re-booting the Sky box every time. I found ARC much too problematic with my Panny OLED (non eARC) and have long resorted to an optical connection between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom