Denon AVR-X2700 Owners Thread

Rolling Sly

Established Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of my Denon AVR-X2700 yesterday and set it up last night. Too early to make many observations but I have had to increase the volume of the centre channel due to dialogue sounding quiet. Not sure whether there may be a better fix for this but does the job for now.

Thought I’d get an owners thread started as there isn’t one yet.

Just received/set up one of these too. I also had to increase the centre channel by a few db, even after running the Audyssey setup. Other than that, all seems good so far - working fine with Sky Q, PS4 a few-year-old Samsung lcd tv and a some other various sources.
Android app is quite useful - when it works. It tends to hang quite frequently though.

Mine arrived on Thursday - thanks to all at Peter Tyson - and everything works almost without a hitch. I did follow a thread with helpful replies from Fillius, Bobby86 and Zarf2007.

My Xbox now sounds superb and looks great on the CX55. I'm getting used to the HEOS app and although it has the heading of "Playlists" they're not the ones that I've created on Amazon Music. That's a minor quibble though. I like that you can change the audio mode (Sound Mode) from Dolby Audio to DTS and so on.

It's a bit heavier than I expected it to be but it's a nice piece of kit for my man cave.

Last edited:
Just got mine today, and pairing it with the optoma UHZ65UST. Getting a few issues which not sure which side the issue is on (PJ or AMP) with what guess is handshake issues (taking up to a couple of mins of screen flickering, and flashing before eventually displaying correctly)

Other than that, when it is working, it sounds great.

Early days, so hopefully sort the issue above out & can then enjoy more!

Just got mine today, and pairing it with the optoma UHZ65UST. Getting a few issues which not sure which side the issue is on (PJ or AMP) with what guess is handshake issues (taking up to a couple of mins of screen flickering, and flashing before eventually displaying correctly)

Other than that, when it is working, it sounds great.

Early days, so hopefully sort the issue above out & can then enjoy more!
I’m having a similar issue. Occasionally, when I turn my TV and AVR on, I get the TV’s internal speaker volume display flash on and off on the screen. It seems to rectify after 10 seconds or so. One day it continued for longer so I switched everything off and on again and it was fine. Seems like a handshake issue.

Mines still got the issue. It flashes between screens of snow & the image to connect hdmi. It seems to do this for around 1-2 minutes before then sorting itself out.
Any ideas?
Could this be a firmware update? Or is it hardware?

Can’t get eArc to work on this? It is only receiving two channel pcm?

Assuming you mean from the tv back to the amp? I can only assume it's a setting on the tv. I had to set my tv to output 5.1.

Can’t get eArc to work on this? It is only receiving two channel pcm?
Any source coming into the receiver for decoding needs to be set to bitstream or Dolby Digital which ever is in the TV's audio menu.

Hi all, I have just signed up to AVF to join this owner's thread.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their new X2700H.

I have just taken delivery and setup my 2700. I done the full setup correctly and used the Audyssey setup too and demoed a couple of Atmos movies on Netflix to see what my new Atmos receiver sounded like..... Amazing!!! (Coming from a Sony STR-DH820 from 10 years ago).

Anyway, for some reason during the setup, it never picked up on the firmware update even though it attempted one. I done another check after fully setup and one was available. I couldn't configure GUI so couldn't see what I was previously on (now worked out GUI) and I've just updated to 1000-2120-5082-2065.

Unless I have fiddled with a setting that I can't work out, it appears as though my volume has significantly decreased! At volume 50 (-30db) it's just about loud enough to hear.

Any clues to what I may have changed or if they FW update has done something? I think I'm going to do a full reset and start again if no ideas?

I wonder if the firmware update has reset the Audyssey setting? I know if I turn Audyssey off from the "audio" menu, I also have to set mine to around -30db. Worth checking if it's turned off somehow. (Setup - Audio - Audyssey - MultiEQ XT. Mine is set to "reference")

Quick reply :)

Mine too is set to reference. I've been through every setting about 4 times to see if I have toggled something or if the firmware auto set something.

I noticed surround loudness management was set to on which I believe I had off because I don't want the receiver messing with the sounds.

I'll have one more check and then I'll bite the bullet on the Audyssey setup again. Will do factory reset if/when I do.

What firmware are you (and anyone else) running and did you do an update?

I'm on the same firmware version as you. (After updating.)
Just found that having "dynamic volume" set to off will also considerably reduce the volume - which doesn't seem right. The description implies it just reduces the difference between loud and soft sounds, not "make everything too quiet".

Did you experience the volume before firmware update? I literally have to have the volume at half setting just to hear anything that would on any TV or amp be about 10% volume.

Sorry no, updated straight away. I think you might be better off resetting and rerunning the setup like you said. Mine is fine at about -50db.
Unless of course, someone else knows better...

Reset done... issue not resolved, volume seriously low at low to mid volumes.

I only have a 4x5m room so the max volume is sufficient enough but I've just finished watching a movie with the kids an hour ago and to gain cinema level soundstage, I had to have it on 80 (0.0dB) which is more than 80% volume with general viewing (Formula 1: Drive to Survive - Dolby Atmos) at 60 (-20dB).

Sound is great, just don't see why I have next to no volume for the first 40 notches.

I’ve also noticed that I have to turn the volume up higher than expected and that it is almost inaudible at lower volumes. I also did the firmware update straight away so cannot comment on any difference in firmwares.

I have also had to adjust the centre channel as it is incredibly low and vocals are impossible to hear without turning it up a fair bit.

Note that film soundtracks are authored and mixed relative to a standadise reference level. If not playing such soundtracks at the same level as they were mixed and authored in accordance with then you'd not get the same dynamic range. Quieter aspects of a soundterack become less audible and are unlikely to be portrayed as the person who mixed the soundtrack intended them to be heard. You could set the master volume to 0db is order to counter this and portray the audio at reference, but this is quite loud for a domestic home enviroment. Other alternatives are to use additional processing to ret compensate for the narrower dynamic range. Denon receivers include Audyssey Dynamic Volume which is intended to be used for this very purpose. It is however a compromise and you will not ever truly resolve this issue unless you portray the soundtrack at the reference it was mixed at.

Film soundtracks were never designed to be listened to at low volume levels. You shouldn't be surprised if dialogue is difficult or harder to hear at lower than reference volume levels.

I wonder if the firmware update has reset the Audyssey setting? I know if I turn Audyssey off from the "audio" menu, I also have to set mine to around -30db. Worth checking if it's turned off somehow. (Setup - Audio - Audyssey - MultiEQ XT. Mine is set to "reference")

Audyssey deals with room EQ correction. Even if turned OFF, the receiver should still retain the speaker level and the distance settings determine by the calibration. You cannot circumvent these settings and they are in effect regardless of what mode or what you engage or discage.

The update may have either rectified an issue that was causing levels too be previously louder or the update may have adversely effected the calibration results that were previously in place? I can only suggest that you try running another calibration to see if this resolves the issue or results in anything different to what you have now?

You may also wish to chexk the levels by using a handhheld SPL meter and the AV receiver's test tone generator?

I'm on the same firmware version as you. (After updating.)
Just found that having "dynamic volume" set to off will also considerably reduce the volume - which doesn't seem right. The description implies it just reduces the difference between loud and soft sounds, not "make everything too quiet".

It sould generally be suggested that you leave Dynamic EQ off anyway. Although this does increase the impact of effects at lower listening levels, it also invariably results in an unbalanced portrayal of the audio and the boosted effects can even be detrimental to the prtrayal of the quieter aspects oif that content.

Yes, you would perceive the soundtrack as being louder if Dynamic EQ is engaged, but this is not a true repkucation of that soundtrack.

Last edited:
Reset done... issue not resolved, volume seriously low at low to mid volumes.

I only have a 4x5m room so the max volume is sufficient enough but I've just finished watching a movie with the kids an hour ago and to gain cinema level soundstage, I had to have it on 80 (0.0dB) which is more than 80% volume with general viewing (Formula 1: Drive to Survive - Dolby Atmos) at 60 (-20dB).

Sound is great, just don't see why I have next to no volume for the first 40 notches.

No, 0db is reference and not 50% of anything. What are you using to quantify the volume level as a percentage? What you are perceiving now may in fact be cuurect and what you had oprior to the update may have been incorrect?

Maybe use a test tone disc and measure the SPL relative to the AV receiver's reference master volume?

Other than this, your conclusions are not actually based upon anything definable. The only means by which to determine whether there is a fault or issue would be to actually measure the SPL at reference.

I too have the low volume issue. Needs to be around 50 to hear.
Did firmware update before any setup.

Also gave an issue with eArc, it will not let me select multichannel pcm sound mode when being fed uncompressed 5.1 pcm.

I too have the low volume issue. Needs to be around 50 to hear.
Did firmware update before any setup.

Also gave an issue with eArc, it will not let me select multichannel pcm sound mode when being fed uncompressed 5.1 pcm.
You would be better of changing the volume control from the Absolute Level to the dB Level. This makes it easier to guage your listening level to the reference level of the 2700.

Volume

Set the MAIN ZONE (room where the unit is located) volume setting.
Scale
Set how volume is displayed.
0 - 98
(Default):
Display in the range 0 (Min) to 98.
-79.5 dB - 18.0 dB:Display ---dB (Min), in the range –79.5 dB to 18.0 dB.

“Scale” settings are reflected in all the zones.

No, 0db is reference and not 50% of anything. What are you using to quantify the volume level as a percentage? What you are perceiving now may in fact be cuurect and what you had oprior to the update may have been incorrect?

Maybe use a test tone disc and measure the SPL relative to the AV receiver's reference master volume?

Other than this, your conclusions are not actually based upon anything definable. The only means by which to determine whether there is a fault or issue would be to actually measure the SPL at reference.

I never concluded anything other than "Sound is great". I also said "I had to have it on 80 (0.0dB) which is more than 80% volume", given the Scale is 0-98 I quantified it using maths which puts it at 80.808080% recurring.

I was just looking for some fellow owners feedback on why the volume appears to be so low at the low end of the scale.

One thing from your response was particularly helpful though and that's that 0.00dB is reference level. To most here that's probably common knowledge but, strangely for me, I never knew that so thanks. From here on in any referring to volume from me shall be stated in dB format. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom