Denon AVR-X2600H vs AVR-X3600H

In what respect was you disappointed? with movies or music?

Both really Dasiz.

I had a perfectly functioning Sony HT - DDWS750S Sat/Active sub set up, bought in 2004, which has served me well. Also have a Marantz cd and Arcam Alpha 5 amp for stereo, of which the amp, though sounding great, has a issue now and then with the power lead connection.

Had come into a little bit of money and wanted to upgrade to a better AV package, Monitor Audio Bronze speakers all round.

Went for the 3600 from advice from RS, as I was looking for the preouts for the fronts and something that worked great with music. It seemed to fit the bill, and hours of research was done before taking the plunge.

Hooked up the preouts to my AA amp, and the vol had to be up quite loud to get decent balanced output. Also tried the cd direct to the Denon, and it was ok, though (maybe understandably?) still not as good as my 1990s AA amp.

Probably won't be going for Atmos either in the near future, so a lot of the extra channels were expensive overkill, but thought about any future upgrade/house move etc.

The main problem was the lack of bass the Denon actually sent to my Sony sub (using in the meantime). My old all in one box sent loads of bass to the sub, which is quite basic, just volume "level" knob, having fixed crossover. The Sony setup enveloped you in bass and feeling. The Denon didn't.

Set it up as advised by Gasp, and turning the Dynamic EQ on delivered better bass, but I felt that I shouldn't have to do that to get decent bass. It may be that my fixed crossover sub, doesn't speak to the Denon that well, but the old Sony Amp does, so a little disappointed at the price.

I am on the lookout for a BK sub in light oak, and awaiting the call when they have a grade B one in. It may be better with that, but the Marantz that was a last minute alternative has the question of doubt in my mind.

Also the Marantz fits better in my unit, which the Denon filled, with an air gap of about 2" above. Something I knew before purchase.
The Marantz fits better, and has all the features I need for about £300 less, a chunk towards a new sub! 🤓

Ecc

Well I bought the 3600 and set it up over the weekend and I'm really impressed with it. My Gemini II sub sounds great, the Audyssey set up had me turn it right down. It was already at 50%, now it must be about 35%, but it still shakes the room in the right places.

Only issue I have is vocal bleed to the rear surrounds with Dolby Surround+ on, but from what I've read this is due to having Surround Virtualization switched on.

Overall I'm very happy indeed with this upgrade.

@East Coast Cruiser - you may be used to too much bass? The experts here seem to suggest that you shouldn't be able to tell your sub is on until you turn it off and then you appreciate what it is adding to the sound.

The main problem was the lack of bass the Denon actually sent to my Sony sub (using in the meantime). My old all in one box sent loads of bass to the sub, which is quite basic, just volume "level" knob, having fixed crossover. The Sony setup enveloped you in bass and feeling. The Denon didn't.
The fact may be that the Denon is actually better with bass. The bass being faster and more defined, more controlled. People often complain about lack of bass on various amps or speakers and what you are actually hearing is a better bass, the previous deep bass being one sound blending into the next which creates a feeling of a deep bass response.

I am trying to decide between the 2600 and the 3600 at the moment. Currently have a 5.1 system which I am wanting to stick but not clear if I can use the extra two channels on the 2600 for Zone 2 to feed the base of my Sennheiser RF wireless headphones?

(not after sonic perfection as I use my separate hi-fi system for serious music listening)

FWIW I'm running a Denon X6200 with KEF R300s and they suit each other well. However I have the fronts driven by a Rega stereo amp. Denon and KEF do seem to make good bedfellows.
How do you run the fronts with a separate amp? Thanx
JIm Cummings

How do you run the fronts with a separate amp? Thanx
JIm Cummings
You need a receiver that has pre-out ability, in the case of Denon that the X3XXX models and above. The pre-outs are connected to a power amp or an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass to which the front speakers are then connected. Both receiver and power/stereo amp are switched on when watching film or TV, the volume being controlled by the Denon.

That takes the weight of driving the fronts away from the receiver and generally improves the performance of the receiver itself. In the case of the stereo amp it improves the quality of the stereo music performance if all music sources are connected to that stereo amp. Works very well together.

You need a receiver that has pre-out ability, in the case of Denon that the X3XXX models and above. The pre-outs are connected to a power amp or an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass to which the front speakers are then connected. Both receiver and power/stereo amp are switched on when watching film or TV, the volume being controlled by the Denon.

That takes the weight of driving the fronts away from the receiver and generally improves the performance of the receiver itself. In the case of the stereo amp it improves the quality of the stereo music performance if all music sources are connected to that stereo amp. Works very well together.

My fault. I was concentrating on the 2600 yet you clearly said the X3XXX models which do have preouts. It's the one thing which disappoints me about the 2600. I have had receivers with preouts in the past and thought I would not miss using them, but I do.

Jim

My fault. I was concentrating on the 2600 yet you clearly said the X3XXX models which do have preouts. It's the one thing which disappoints me about the 2600. I have had receivers with preouts in the past and thought I would not miss using them, but I do.

Jim
I use my Denon with a stereo amp simply for music use as I find my current Denon, as well as others that I've owned, to be poor for stereo music.

I use my Denon with a stereo amp simply for music use as I find my current Denon, as well as others that I've owned, to be poor for stereo music.
I have heard that from others as well but I experienced SSHL (basically an unkown cause deafness) this July and, with the help of extremely expensive hearing aids, am glad to be able to hear music again, albeit with diminished frequencies. I was in the music business long ago and usually listened to music 6-7 hours a day so this was a great loss. To my much diminished ears, it sounds OK.

I have heard that from others as well but I experienced SSHL (basically an unkown cause deafness) this July and, with the help of extremely expensive hearing aids, am glad to be able to hear music again, albeit with diminished frequencies. I was in the music business long ago and usually listened to music 6-7 hours a day so this was a great loss. To my much diminished ears, it sounds OK.
High quality headphones and dedicated amp perhaps. Off topic but there are so many good comfortable headphones available that they can bring music alive to someone with hearing loss or problems. I use headphones almost every evening sometimes for several hours.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom