• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon avr-x2500h

GDDinger

Novice Member
HELP Could anyone help me with a volume problem? I have just setup a new Denon avr-x2500h with KEF EGG 3001 5.1 surround sound my problem is that the volume control needs to be set at 50% before any real sound is heard and up to around 65% to be loud enough.
Regards GDDinger

dante01

Distinguished Member
The volume dial has no minimum or maximum and the receiver's volume is controlled using digital attenuation. The receiver's volume would directly correspond to the reference levels to which the receiver calibrated and balanced its speakers to during the calibration. There's effectively nothing to indicate that the volume is set 50% so I'm unsure as to how you've concluded the volume is in fact at 50% the AV receiver's maximum?

You should try setting the volume scale to the relative reference –79.5 dB to 18.0dB scale as opposed to the 0 to 98 absolute scale.

Once set to the relative scale then report back as to the master volume level you are listening at. Most find that a master volume of about -20db is lound enough for most purposes.

You may also find this in relation to the differences between RELATIVE and ABSOLUTE volume informative:
What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?

GDDinger

Novice Member
Hi danti01 I got the 50% from the absolute scale being 0>98 sound is audible at around 65 I have improved the sound level by turning on dynamic to Medium.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi danti01 I got the 50% from the absolute scale being 0>98 sound is audible at around 65 I have improved the sound level by turning on dynamic to Medium.

Turning on Dynamic Volume or Dynamic EQ will not improve the sound. If you want louder audio then simply turn up the master volume. I'd also suggest to change from the absolute scale and use the relative scale instead.

Last edited:

GDDinger

Novice Member
Hi sorry not got back to you been busy, I am now using absolute scale but volume does not seem right absolute scale reading -16db. I think I will talk to the shop.
Regards Ron

andym81

Established Member
Hi sorry not got back to you been busy, I am now using absolute scale but volume does not seem right absolute scale reading -16db. I think I will talk to the shop.
Regards Ron
You will find the content you watch will affect the volume to which you listen.

If I'm watching Netflix through the tv app and use arc I need to turn the volume close to reference, were blu ray I'm around -20

dante01

Distinguished Member
Regards Ron

The previous scale you were using was the absolute scale. The one you are now using is a relative scale.

I'm assuming that you've actually calibrated the setup using the supplied mic?

You may even want to check the speaker levels using an SPL meter app on an iOS or Android phone or device? You'd need to use the receiver's inbuilt test tone to do this with the receiver's master volume set to 0db (reference). You take the measurement from where you initially located the calibration mic during the calibration with the apps weighting set to C and with it set for a slow resonse. You'd expect to get a reading somewhere within the region of 75db if the receiver were correctly calibrated.

Last edited:

Zeusyburger

Established Member
Anyone else notice an issue when watching atmos content through the Netflix app on Apple TV?

the Center channel intermittently, outputs through rear speakers before returning to normal... this happens on every Dolby atmos feature on Netflix via ATV4K only.

i have no problems with Xbox one x etc

please help? Wonder if it’s faulty

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom