Question Denon AVR-x2500h speaker level confusion

JAYGAR

Hi guys any help would be appreciated.

I have recently purchased the above receiver and set it up today using the microphone, however I am slightly confused as in the level settings.
In the speaker configuration it has
Front L. -2.0dB
Center -5.5dB
Front R -2.0dB
Surround R -4.0dB
Subwoofer -5.0dB (was -12 so turned down volume on back of Subwoofer and manually reduced to -5)

Now I have no problem with these settings but usually turn the center up a few dB,
Here's the confusion when watching Virgin for example and I press the info button and click on channel level adjust all the speakers say channel levels of 0.0dB.
Surely the channel levels should be the same as in the speaker configuration settings?

DodgeTheViper

That sounds like a source adjustment and not a global adjustment. Adjusting the levels there are for that source only and 0.0db is just a reference point so it can be adjusted back again if needed. Adjusting levels in the speaker settings will adjust the levels for all sources.

Jester1066

Hi guys any help would be appreciated.

I have recently purchased the above receiver and set it up today using the microphone, however I am slightly confused as in the level settings.
In the speaker configuration it has
Front L. -2.0dB
Center -5.5dB
Front R -2.0dB
Surround R -4.0dB
Subwoofer -5.0dB (was -12 so turned down volume on back of Subwoofer and manually reduced to -5)

Now I have no problem with these settings but usually turn the center up a few dB,
Here's the confusion when watching Virgin for example and I press the info button and click on channel level adjust all the speakers say channel levels of 0.0dB.
Surely the channel levels should be the same as in the speaker configuration settings?
The channel level of 0.0dB you see when you click the info button while watching virginmedia relates only to that particular Source and means the speaker levels for that source are set to your base calibrated levels (see below).

The levels in the speaker configuration menu are your base levels determined by calibration.

If you increase the centre level on the 0.0dB menu to say 2.0dB:

1. You're effectively increasing the centre speaker level from -5.5dB (Audessey calibrated level) to -3.5dB (-5.5 + 2 = -3.5). But only for that source. In other words any adjustments on the source screen to the levels are calculated from the calibrated Audessey levels.

2. Any changes made to speaker levels when watching specific sources (ie virgin) will only apply to that source. For example if you were to switch to DVD source on the amp & press info you'll see all the speaker levels will read 0.0dB.

If you want to increase the centre channel for all sources, simply adjust it in the Speaker Configuration menu (exactly as you did for the subwoofer level).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JAYGAR

That sounds like a source adjustment and not a global adjustment. Adjusting the levels there are for that source only and 0.0db is just a reference point so it can be adjusted back again if needed. Adjusting levels in the speaker settings will adjust the levels for all sources.
Thanks for your reply, makes sense it's just different to other receivers I have had including other Denon and Marantz.

JAYGAR

The channel level of 0.0dB you see when you click the info button while watching virginmedia relates only to that particular Source.

The levels in the speaker configuration menu are your base levels determined by calibration.

If you increase the centre level on the 0.0dB menu to say 2.0dB:

1. You're effectively increasing the centre speaker level from -5.5dB (Audessey calibrated level) to -3.5dB (-5.5 + 2 = -3.5). But only for that source.

2. Any changes made to speaker levels when watching specific sources (ie virgin) will only apply to that source. For example if you were to switch to DVD source on the amp & press info you'll see all the speaker levels will read 0.0dB.

If you want to increase the centre channel for all sources, simply adjust it in the Speaker Configuration menu (exactly as you did for the subwoofer level).

Hope this helps.

Thank you

DodgeTheViper

Thanks for your reply, makes sense it's just different to other receivers I have had including other Denon and Marantz.
It can actually be a very useful feature as you can adjust by source as oppose to adjusting for every source in one hit. And the 0.0db starting point just tells you were you can put it back to if needed. You can test it out by adjusting a channel and then checking the speaker level menu and it won’t change.

Jester1066

It can actually be a very useful feature as you can adjust by source as oppose to adjusting for every source in one hit. And the 0.0db starting point just tells you were you can put it back to if needed. You can test it out by adjusting a channel and then checking the speaker level menu and it won’t change.
I have to do this as the audio level from virginmedia is often quieter than my 4K Bluray source.

DodgeTheViper

I have to do this as the audio level from virginmedia is often quieter than my 4K Bluray source.
This is were you’ll find it useful. You’ll adjust for that source without affecting any other source.

JAYGAR

It can actually be a very useful feature as you can adjust by source as oppose to adjusting for every source.
Other receivers I have had in the past also could be adjusted by source it's just that you could see the calibrated numbers eg
If I was watching Virgin and it was set at -5.5dB and I raised it 2dB it would then show as -3.5dB but if I switched to dvd it would still be -5.5dB.
Showing the 0.0dB as a separate source level slightly confused me lol.

DodgeTheViper

Other receivers I have had in the past also could be adjusted by source it's just that you could see the calibrated numbers eg
If I was watching Virgin and it was set at -5.5dB and I raised it 2dB it would then show as -3.5dB but if I switched to dvd it would still be -5.5dB.
Showing the 0.0dB as a separate source level slightly confused me lol.
But this is were this feature is better. You don’t need to remember how much you adjusted by as the starting point is 0.0db.
Admittedly it can look a little confusing to begin with.

JAYGAR

But this is were this feature is better. You don’t need to remember how much you adjusted by as the starting point is 0.0db.

I agree

Jester1066

Beat me to it. Was gonna say pretty much the same thing 😂😂

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom