Quantcast

Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

byron_hinson

Quick question - I had to redo my Audyssey calibration due to mucking up the bass volume and ever since I've noticed on Sky Q - that all channels are coming out as Dolby Surround on the front panel display even when the input is showing 2.0 the output from the AV is 5.1. Weirdly I can go to some other channels and I get stereo displayed now and again while proper 5.1 input from Sky from Movies etc outputs properly and displays properly.

I've set it to Auto surround mode and it makes no difference. Is this normal for Sky Q or am I missing something simple.

gibbsy

Quick question - I had to redo my Audyssey calibration due to mucking up the bass volume and ever since I've noticed on Sky Q - that all channels are coming out as Dolby Surround on the front panel display even when the input is showing 2.0 the output from the AV is 5.1. Weirdly I can go to some other channels and I get stereo displayed now and again while proper 5.1 input from Sky from Movies etc outputs properly and displays properly.

I've set it to Auto surround mode and it makes no difference. Is this normal for Sky Q or am I missing something simple.
Not all programmes on SkyQ are in 5.1. Those in Dolby 2.0 will be upmixed by Surround to 5.1 but those with PCM 2.0 will not. PCM is usually confined to the SD channels.

byron_hinson

Not all programmes on SkyQ are in 5.1. Those in Dolby 2.0 will be upmixed by Surround to 5.1 but those with PCM 2.0 will not. PCM is usually confined to the SD channels.
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn’t really noticed it until the recalibration. Probably due to stressing over the bass!

makes sense now.

byron_hinson

One more question as I’m getting increasingly frustrated by my setup since running Audyssey again. Seeing it has set new levels and EQ I’ve noticed I have to have the volume set to at least -32db to get it to the same sound level I used to have when set at -40db. Is this normal or has something else changed.

I have never dynamic volume set and only use Dynamic EQ.

Also the surround speakers sound really loud compared to the fronts when in use.Yet using the speaker level settings it sounds ok.

Going mad!

dante01

Distinguished Member
One more question as I’m getting increasingly frustrated by my setup since running Audyssey again. Seeing it has set new levels and EQ I’ve noticed I have to have the volume set to at least -32db to get it to the same sound level I used to have when set at -40db. Is this normal or has something else changed.

I have never dynamic volume set and only use Dynamic EQ.

Also the surround speakers sound really loud compared to the fronts when in use.Yet using the speaker level settings it sounds ok.

Going mad!

All AV receivers are calibrated in accordance with the same reference level and it is to this reference that the scale you are using relates. If correctly calibrated then - 32db would equate to the exact same SPL via one setup as another if and when measured from the primary listening position the receiver was calibrated relative to.

If doubting your receiver's calibrated levels then disengage THe Audyssey EQ correction and Dynamic settings, engage the receiver's test tome and set the receiver's master volume to 75db. Use an handheld SPL meter or SPL app on a cell phone to measure the output from each speaker while located in your primary listening location. Each speaker should be giving you the same level and this should ideally be in the region of 75db. Note that you'd be advised to set the meters weighting to C and have it set to give a slow response.

If you've altered the levels in the option menu then you've changed the calibrated levels to something different to reference. Note that these settings in the OPTIONS are only applicable to the source you had the receiver set to when you made the alterations. The correct levels should still be unchanged in the main speaker configurations unless you've altered these as well?

byron_hinson

Thanks. Ran Audyssey and it set my center speaker cross over to 250. Left/right 200 and surrounds 150. I have the Cambridge Minx 22’s and the x201 sub.

just feel like no matter what I do the surrounds are too loud and games such as god of war has lower front sounds-which make it harder to hear. I know you can raise the center speaker levels to improve dialogue but as usual with game’s, voices are across all speakers dependant on position

think I’m going mad!

Bobsen

Hello all,
Quick question is it possible to hook up two Blu-ray players? I have a new Sony UBPX800M2 that is region locked (Blu-ray) and an older Pioneer 330 Blu-ray that isn't.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

gibbsy

Hello all,
Quick question is it possible to hook up two Blu-ray players? I have a new Sony UBPX800M2 that is region locked (Blu-ray) and an older Pioneer 330 Blu-ray that isn't.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Yes. Simply use a vacant HDMI port on the back.

gibbsy

Thanks. It doesn't matter if a bluray player is in a dvd hdmi slot?
No. They are only labelled for convenience. There is no different between them. You can change the name of the input in the HDMI settings so that will show on the fascia display.

Bobsen

First of all thanks one and all for the quick replies and help. Another question, has anyone experienced the unit turning on by itself? This morning (while getting ready to head out), I heard a 'click' and the unit turned on by itself. I had not touched the remote controls or had used the unit since the evening before. The display showed 'stereo' and TV. I turned the unit off and it did not try to come on again.
Thanks in advance...

JohnZS

Standard Member
Has anyone used the AXR-X2500H with the Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray player?
If so do you have this strange issue whereby when you start a film the sound plays for 2-3 seconds before the picture is displayed.
There are no audio sync issues just it is really odd.
This means you can miss the DTS/DOLBY logos etc.
John

gibbsy

Has anyone used the AXR-X2500H with the Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray player?
If so do you have this strange issue whereby when you start a film the sound plays for 2-3 seconds before the picture is displayed.
There are no audio sync issues just it is really odd.
This means you can miss the DTS/DOLBY logos etc.
John
Cable issue perhaps. Try a certified HDMI cable from the player to the receiver and from receiver to TV, especially if any of them are over 2 metres.

JohnZS

Standard Member
Cable issue perhaps. Try a certified HDMI cable from the player to the receiver and from receiver to TV, especially if any of them are over 2 metres.
Thanks would you suggest monoprice or Kenable?
I already have two 1m Kenable premium certified cables in the configuratio, but one might be defective.

gibbsy

Thanks would you suggest monoprice or Kenable?
I already have two 1m Kenable premium certified cables in the configuratio, but one might be defective.
Amazon Basics. :smashin: