Denon AVR-X2500H or earc alternative

You did do well hunting out the bargains, you probably saved around £700 or so going for the used speakers and discounted sub.

My go to film post calibration to check everything sounds as it should is Spectre. The first 15 minutes or so contain a very dynamic audio mix, Also, Saving Private Ryan, and 1917 I often re-visit when setting up various systems.

So it was £680 for Denon 2700 and speaker cable.
£200 for 5 Tannoy speakers and £225 for the Monitor Audio W10.
£1105 all in. Almost exactly what I paid for the LG Oled 55.
Top result is right mate.
You ain't kidding! What's more, both the sub, & AVR are brand new items with full manufacturer warranties. Offers great peace of mind. Same with the OLED!

*Tips his metaphorical hat at you sir!

👍🏼👏👏👏

I didn't realise
You ain't kidding! What's more, both the sub, & AVR are brand new items with full manufacturer warranties. Offers great peace of mind. Same with the OLED!

*Tips his metaphorical hat at you sir!

👍🏼👏👏👏
Thanks mate.
The advice I received from the good folks on here was key. Less than 2 weeks ago I knew NOTHING about any of this.

I didn't realise

Thanks mate.
The advice I received from the good folks on here was key. Less than 2 weeks ago I knew NOTHING about any of this.
I wouldn't like to be on the wrong end of your negotiation techniques:eek:;)

Now for the most important question.
Favourite movies for surround sound (or just fav movies)?
Both ! War films and stuff like John Wick are great for LOUD explosions and bullets flying all around the room. :smashin:

Both ! War films and stuff like John Wick are great for LOUD explosions and bullets flying all around the room. :smashin:
My 14 yr old son hasn't seen Apocalypse Now, so that's tonight's viewing sorted 😛.
I wouldn't like to be on the wrong end of your negotiation techniques:eek:;)
It's funny because I HATE haggling. Just give the price and if I think its fair I'll pay it. This might be my aforementioned lack of patience again 🤔

My 14 yr old son hasn't seen Apocalypse Now, so that's tonight's viewing sorted 😛.
Helicopters!:D

It's funny because I HATE haggling. Just give the price and if I think its fair I'll pay it. This might be my aforementioned lack of patience again 🤔
Really? I was going to give you a shout next time I wanted to buy some kit and ask you to handle the deal for me ;)

Helicopters!:D

Really? I was going to give you a shout next time I wanted to buy some kit and ask you to handle the deal for me ;)
Honestly I think its because of what you mentioned earlier. People who deal with the public are so used to people faffing about hmming and ahhing that when someone shows up ready to buy its a nice change of pace.

Speaking of buying things, do you think it's worth getting a collection of 4k Movie discs?
Well, I think we are unlikely to ever see any better quality physical discs - 8K Blu ray ain't happening so if you are a movie buff then probably a very good buy.

Personally I prefer to rent though, the last discs I used to buy and keep were black, 12 inches in diameter and made of vinyl!

Speaking of buying things, do you think it's worth getting a collection of 4k Movie discs?
On my system the sound quality from full HD audio found on discs, sounds much much better than the Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks found on streaming. Cinema Paradiso disc rental by post is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought disc rental was a thing of the past lol. I'll check it out though, thanks.
Why do I keep seeing concern over the xbox series X 4k player? I have one and plan on using that sucker 🤣
He's refering to rental via streaming services such as Amazon, Apple or Google Play. You can rent many titles via these service, but be aware that they will not be the exact same quality as you'd ordinarilly get in association with that found on disc based media. The video will be at a lower bitrate and the audio will be SD as opposed to HD. The quality is good, but still not directly comparable to what you'd get via disc.

You can also buy content via these services, but you'd not be able to download the UHD 4K variants if and when available. If purchasing a title that is available in 4K then you can stream it whenever you like, but will only be allowed to download the HD 1080p variant for storage on your devices.

Last edited:
I thought disc rental was a thing of the past lol. I'll check it out though, thanks.
Why do I keep seeing concern over the xbox series X 4k player? I have one and plan on using that sucker 🤣

The only one left that I am aware of after Amazon bought out Lovefilm and then shut it down.

The X Box thing is all about a bug in the 2.1HDMI connections on the Denon - apparently they will not allow 4K/120Hz gaming. I'm not a gamer so personally I think it's rather overhyped, but apparently those that know say that 120hz is overrated anyway as it involves restricting resolution elsewhere, so most people end up playing in 4K/60Hz anyway. Also the PS5 does work ok, it's only the X Box to the best of my knowledge.

He's refering to rental via streaming services such as Amazon, Apple or Google Play. You can rent many titles via these service, but be aware that they will not be the exact same quality as you'd ordinarilly get in association with that found on disc based media. The video will be at a lower bitrate and the audio will be SD as opposed to HD. The quality is good, but still not directly comparable to what you'd get via disc.

You can also buy content via these services, but you'd not be able to download the UHD 4K variants if and when avaulable. If purchasing a title that is available in 4K then you can stream it whenever you like, but will only be allowed to download the HD 1080p variant for storage on your devices.
No I'm not Dante :p

No I'm not Dante :p

Gtreat, I'll get pirating straight away then

only joking.

Seriously though, it is exceedingly easy to simply copy the discs and a lot cheaper to rent than buy them. I'm surprised the studios still allow such an organisation to exist and give them the right to rent their content on physical media?

I subscribe to all the online content, probably too much. Amazon prime, Netflix, Apple + and few more. I'll probably head to Cex today and start my ultimate 4k movie collection.
Apple are about the best option when it copmes to puchasing content. They have far more 4K titles (films) and allow you to access these for the same as it costs to rent or buy the HD version. If you buy an HD version and a 4K version of the same title is added later, you get access to the 4K version without having to pay extra or more for it. The Apple+ streaming service has less content than what you'd get via Netflix, Amazon or Disney Plus though. The Quality of the content is probably above average though.

Last edited:
Gtreat, I'll get pirating straight away then

only joking.

Seriously though, it is exceedingly easy to simply copy the discs and a lot cheaper to rent than buy them. I'm surprised the studios still allow such an organisation to exist and give them the right to rent their content on physical media?
Maybe not everyone shares your villainous mindset mate!

But not sure how the studios could stop them, once they have bought the discs they can rent them out to whoever they like as long as they are for home consumption. Just following the long tradition of film rental going back to Blockbuster video tapes!

Apple are about the best option when it copmes to puchasing content. They have far more 4K titles (films) and allow you to access these for the same as it costs to rent or buy the HD version. If you buy an HD version and a 4K version of the same title is added later, you get access to the 4K version without having to pay extra or more for it. The Apple+ streaming service has less content than what you'd get via Netflix, Amazon or Disney Plus though. The Quality of the content is probably above average though.
Yes that's been my experience. For better quality with apple + with far less content than other streamers.
With regards to people copying discs etc.. I think the industry have figured out that the easier it is for people to legitimately get content the less likely they are to pirate it.

Maybe not everyone shares your villainous mindset mate!

But not sure how the studios could stop them, once they have bought the discs they can rent them out to whoever they like as long as they are for home consumption. Just following the long tradition of film rental going back to Blockbuster video tapes!

The studios still control rentals and you cannot rent out the films without the distribition rights to do so. You even sometimes find the discs themselves that are used for rentals differ to those distributed for sale. They may exclude extra content etc. that you'd get on the retail discs.

Organisations cannot rent out the films without the authorisation of the studios those titles belong to.

The studios still control rentals and you cannot rent out the films without the distribition rights to do so. You even sometimes find the discs themselves that are used for rentals differ to those distributed for sale. They may exclude extra content etc. that you'd get on the retail discs.

Organisations cannot rent out the films without the authorisation of the studios those titles belong to.
Fair enough, but why would they not want to maximise their distribution? Before streaming, rental was by far the most popular distribution channel, whether VHS,DVD or Blu ray. Streaming has taken over due to the sheer convenience, it makes sending and receiving discs by post seem very 20th Century. The reason I still rent discs is purely down to quality.

Physical media costs the studios more to orchestrate than streaming the content online. THe costs associated with the packaging and the distribution of said physical media cut into the profits. Hence why studios would happily allow physical media to fade away and are happy to replace it with streaming via which they actually increase their profit margins.

The only issue they have now is the fact they still need to make content people want to pay for and watch. THey don't appear to have worked that bit out yet despite knowing how much they make down to the last penny per customer. The industry is run by accountants, not actors, creatives or those actually making the films.

They don't give a damn about quality or value for money and are solely interested in their bottom line.

Last edited:
Physical media costs the studios more to orchestrate than streaming the content online. THe costs associated with the packaging and the distribution of said physical media cut into the profits. Hence why studios would happily allow physical media to fade away and are happy to replace it with streaming via which they actually increase their profit margins.

The only issue they have now is the fact they still need to make content people want to pay for and watch. THey don't appear to have worked that bit out yet despite knowing how much they make down to the last penny per customer. The industry is run by accountants, not actors, creatives or those actually making the films.

They don't give a damn about quality or value for money and are solely interested in their bottom line.

Wouldn't disagree with that. Which is why Amazon bought out and then shut down Lovefilm - it was a competitor to their planned Prime streaming operation. While I much appreciate the rental option provided by Cinema Paradiso, I am under no illusions that it's only a matter of time before they have to shut down their operation.........

Yes that's been my experience. For better quality with apple + with far less content than other streamers.
With regards to people copying discs etc.. I think the industry have figured out that the easier it is for people to legitimately get content the less likely they are to pirate it.
It might be worth you getting hold of the same film, via disc and streaming so you can hear how much of a difference it makes in your system or to your ears. As I said, in my system, the HD audio soundtrack sounds much better than the DD+ soundtrack found on the streaming version. But.. might not be the same for you, so worth checking out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom