Denon AVR X2500 connection advice please

pdes

Established Member
Reaction score
From various sources, I have read differing advice so would appreciate some guidance. I have just upgraded my TV from a Panasonic TX65DX902B to a Samsung QE75Q65TAUXXU. For a few years, the setup with the Panasonic has been:

• Sky Q connected to the Denon HDMI input
  • The Denon connected from the TV Monitor port to the TV via the ARC link
  • The digital audio link from the TV to the Denon
  • There is a Firestick and server HDMI link to other Denon inputs
  • I have not taken the digital audio feed from the SkyQ box, assuming that all sound and controls would be covered by the HDMI links.
This has worked well with all controls via HDMI-CEC seemingly working as they should. Crucially, whenever the TV was turned on or off, the AV also turned on and off. However, having installed the new TV, using the same setup, the TV is not causing the Denon to power-up when its turned on. The Denon still turns off when the new TV does.

So, I am wondering if I have been lucky with the Panasonic but that the Samsung may need connecting in a different way.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

From various sources, I have read differing advice so would appreciate some guidance. I have just upgraded my TV from a Panasonic TX65DX902B to a Samsung QE75Q65TAUXXU. For a few years, the setup with the Panasonic has been:

• Sky Q connected to the Denon HDMI input
  • The Denon connected from the TV Monitor port to the TV via the ARC link
  • The digital audio link from the TV to the Denon
  • There is a Firestick and server HDMI link to other Denon inputs
  • I have not taken the digital audio feed from the SkyQ box, assuming that all sound and controls would be covered by the HDMI links.
This has worked well with all controls via HDMI-CEC seemingly working as they should. Crucially, whenever the TV was turned on or off, the AV also turned on and off. However, having installed the new TV, using the same setup, the TV is not causing the Denon to power-up when its turned on. The Denon still turns off when the new TV does.

So, I am wondering if I have been lucky with the Panasonic but that the Samsung may need connecting in a different way.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
You have been lucky with HDMI CEC for sure. It plays differently with different bits of kit, impossible to predict in advance. You could try switching everything off at the mains, disconnecting all HDMI cables at both ends, then after 10 minutes reconnecting and rebooting everything.

It might reset it. But it might not.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went through this yesterday but it made no difference. I was wondering whether I should connect the Sky box to the TV and connect the Sky digital audio to the Denon but I am not sure whether this would help.

Cheers

CEC is such a pain but if your new TV is eARC capable then the connection should be more stable. You may have to check that your firmware is up to date on the Denon. However saying that CEC is still quite problematic when it comes to HDMI handshakes.

You mentioned that your Panasonic worked well with the Denon yet I threw in the towel with my Panny TV and Denon as it proved far too temperamental.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went through this yesterday but it made no difference. I was wondering whether I should connect the Sky box to the TV and connect the Sky digital audio to the Denon but I am not sure whether this would help.

Cheers
If you have an Atmos set up then you will lose the ability to stream UHD programmes that have Atmos along with the Dolby Digital Plus audio. Optical is limited to a maximum of 5.1 Dolby Digital.

No Atmos, I only have a 5.1 setup

Cheers
Wouldn't hurt to try, if you are using e arc then you won't need the digital connection, you can take the audio from the eARC port.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom