Denon avr-x2400H - owners thread

woolz

Established Member
Reaction score
I must be going mad but i can not find an owners thread for this new amp :(

I don't think there is one yet? Maybe alter this thread's title and use it as one.

Purchased this unit today from Sevenoaks in Bishops Stortford.
Any setup advice/ users on here that have one installed yet?
I will be setting mine up this week :)

Picture attached

Attachments

• 20170801_154712.jpg
    20170801_154712.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,498
Like all Denon units they are extremely easy to set up. Just follow the wizard once you have connected everything. When running Audyssey try your best to make the room as quiet as possible and that's about it.:smashin:

Ok thanks. Will post some further pics of this setup later this week.

..got mine a couple of weeks ago to replace a 15 yr old Denon 1610. it took about 20 mins to set up and the on screen guide ws very user friendly, (I am not particularly "IT").

I had thought I would change my speakers but when I cranked this baby up the sound quality was simply superb......so I will be sticking with my "old" Missions and BK Sub.

I was going to get the 2300 (down to £325), but fancied the HEOS capability. It took a while to crack the IPad ap. but it suddenly "clicked" and seems to be OK. The new amp seems much simpler to use than the old amp. (..which had features I still don't understand"!).

All in all well happy with my new amp....now just trying to decide which HEOS speakers to get!!..1, 3 or 5!...(7 probably a bit OTT)..any input appreciated.

hi guys my first issue with the setup :(
i have a virgin V6 box connected via hdmi to the denon amp to its CBL/sat input, i then have the denon amp connected to the tv from the denons hdmi minitor 1 ARC.
the sony kdl-46x2500 TV i have does not support hdcp 2.2

when trying to watch tv from the virgin box i get audio but the display states' this content can not be displayed becuase your tv does not support HDCP 2.2.

any solutions/ ideaS?

thanks guys
Andrew

..got mine a couple of weeks ago to replace a 15 yr old Denon 1610. it took about 20 mins to set up and the on screen guide ws very user friendly, (I am not particularly "IT").

I had thought I would change my speakers but when I cranked this baby up the sound quality was simply superb......so I will be sticking with my "old" Missions and BK Sub.

I was going to get the 2300 (down to £325), but fancied the HEOS capability. It took a while to crack the IPad ap. but it suddenly "clicked" and seems to be OK. The new amp seems much simpler to use than the old amp. (..which had features I still don't understand"!).

All in all well happy with my new amp....now just trying to decide which HEOS speakers to get!!..1, 3 or 5!...(7 probably a bit OTT)..any input appreciated.

Hi there what TV and are you using? Does it have HDCP 2.2 capability?

The TV i Have is a Samsung 49 inch series 8 tv....not sure what that means, but the picture quality is ace...and I havn't a clue what HDCP 2.2 is....time to google....

does anyone know if its possible to stream on wifii from laptop media player to this denon?

Hi all,

I have bought this new receiver to compliment my new LG OLED55B6V. I have yet to received the unit and cannot wait! I have done some reading up regarding the HEOS music but cannot fully understand the receivers ability to "enjoy 5.1-channel surround in one room, while another 'zone' plays another source". I am thinking about 5.1 with added ceiling speakers in my living room to give me 5.1.2. Also, I'd like to have two separate ceiling speakers in my kitchen/dining room. Could I run it all off the AVR-X2400H or would I require a HEOS Amp HS2 to link the kitchen/dining room? Ideally I'd like to have the tv on with sound and be able to play music in the kitchen/diner at the same time, or have all speakers streaming music at once.

Can anyone recommend ceiling speakers for the living room as part of 5.1.2 setup?

Hi all,

I have bought this new receiver to compliment my new LG OLED55B6V. I have yet to received the unit and cannot wait! I have done some reading up regarding the HEOS music but cannot fully understand the receivers ability to "enjoy 5.1-channel surround in one room, while another 'zone' plays another source". I am thinking about 5.1 with added ceiling speakers in my living room to give me 5.1.2. Also, I'd like to have two separate ceiling speakers in my kitchen/dining room. Could I run it all off the AVR-X2400H or would I require a HEOS Amp HS2 to link the kitchen/dining room? Ideally I'd like to have the tv on with sound and be able to play music in the kitchen/diner at the same time, or have all speakers streaming music at once.

Can anyone recommend ceiling speakers for the living room as part of 5.1.2 setup?

You'd be unable to drive speakers wired to the receiver in an additional audio zone if already using all the receiver's 7 amplified channels to facilitate a 5.1.2 speaker configuration in the main room. You'd have to employ 2 HEOS speakers in the second room so that the receiver can then convey stereo audio to them wirelessly. These speakers would have their own integral amplification and power supply. Yes, you can play a different source in the second zone than that being used in the main zone at the same time. In may be cheaper to add just a single HEOS speaker in the Kitchen rather than a pair of them?

Note that audio sourced via either the receiver's HDMI or optical audio inputs cannot be output to additional zone. On;y the main room speakers can output audio sourced via these digital inputs.

What speakers will you be using in the main room? THe Monitor Audio CT265 are a popular choice for ceiling speakers.

Last edited:
For the kitchen/dining room I feel that two ceiling speakers would definitely be beneficial. I also have a small tv in the kitchen (Samsung UE22H5610) that I'd like to be able to hook up to them to simply play stereo. It looks like I'll need a HEOS AMP HS2 to give me the ability to switch between tv stereo & Spotify sources?
The 5.1 speakers for the living room are Cambridge Audio Minx S215s. Got a deal from RS for the amp & speakers for £899! Just having a good think about future proofing myself while we get some living room DIY done at the same time and feel id be stupid not to install the ceiling speakers while this is happening.

Just ordered mine from Peter Tyson. 2300 was out of stock @£349 but they had an offer, on the phone only, of £399 for the 2400. No brainer and I get it Wednesday

Yeah I got the same offer also, originally bought and paid for a x2300 on their website in the morning, phones rings later that day and said they have ran out but do I want a x2400 for another £50 (349 + 50).
Said yes !!

Arrived yesterday. Had a quick play, seems a lot more basic and 'simple' than the Pioneer VSX 922 it replaced - not a bad thing mind you !!
The sound is lovely, not calibrated it yet but I'd say its an improvement.

One odd thing I did notice is that streaming Netflix from my TV connected to the AVR via optical for Audio it says 'DD+' on the display (and also in the smartphone app).
Obviously it can't be DD+ over Optical.

Maybe it just says that for all standard DD streams ?

Today I'm setting up my atmos speakers

Its lovely getting new toys

I rang to check stock and he told me the same. Its a great deal. I've never used optical , just HDMI. No reason just seemed simpler but is there a benefit ?

No benefit at all using Optical.
I only use that for sound from internal apps on my TV - Netflix, Freeview etc etc as I find the ARC wasn't always working, and I don't want hdmi control as when the wife is watching TV she doesn't want to use the AVR.

Just found it odd that the receiver showed DD+ when it couldn't have been receiving it over Optical that's all.

Ignore my last posts, it means Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround on the display.

Just fed it a proper DD Plus track via my media player and it shows up 'Dolby Plus' on the display....

Got it and all set as easy as you like. Beautiful sound just beautiful. Spotify is gorgeous

I have the EQ and Dynamic sound set to off.

Can't believe how easy it was to set up but just shows how things have advanced in the 4 years since I bought my last AV

This is a quiet thread. Are people upgrading to the 3300/3400 straight from the 2300 ? The 2400 is such a bargain given its features.

After a few newbie problems with mine and the help from members here mine is proving its worth. I always had a fear of a non Sony product not working with my Sony TV but of course with HDMI control that just isn't an issue anymore. Just getting used to the volume level on the whole box as its different from my old Sony AV but very happy with the sound..which is the whole point of course

Any pointers as to the audio output on the 2400 when playing music from Spotify ? Its very nice but I suspect the material on Spotify is not always from a decent recording. Adele, Someone Like You, sounded boomy and her vocals forced and muddy but something like Sting and Englishman In New York was superb. Played with some of the audio options on the Music button but they all sounded over processed and weird. I have Tone Bass set to 0bd and Treble to +1db and I know its down to personal taste and the source material

This is a quiet thread. Are people upgrading to the 3300/3400 straight from the 2300 ? The 2400 is such a bargain given its features.

After a few newbie problems with mine and the help from members here mine is proving its worth. I always had a fear of a non Sony product not working with my Sony TV but of course with HDMI control that just isn't an issue anymore. Just getting used to the volume level on the whole box as its different from my old Sony AV but very happy with the sound..which is the whole point of course

I'd say not many people will be buying these units yet until they drop in price. It is identical for the most part to the x2300 bar the HEOS, and as the x2300 has been on sale recently at Richer Sounds for £289 the x2400 at rrp doesn't seem very attractive.

When it drops in price I think it will gain more users, but no one would consider it an upgrade from an x2300.

I've been very happy with mine for the few weeks I've had it, very rich detailed sound.
Dolby Atmos is great now I've got my ceiling speakers set up.

I did find however that the Audessy setup was a complete waste of time, the sound it presented me with after 'calibration' was quite simply horrendous.
Disabled it and went back to my manual setup that sounds gorgeous.

Prices are beginning to drop thankfully.

I have left the MultiEQ XT on and set at FLAT which gives a slightly brighter sound which I like. I have the other Audessy settings turned off like you. Mainly because there is little other settings to adjust the sound other than a Bass and treble which to be fair is probably enough of a stereo/Dolby Surround up mix from most TV channels. On BluRay films and full DD Tv , when they can be bothered, it sounds great

If I've read the manual right I can't have the volume OSD when feeding it 4k - which means all the time because I have Sky Q. Have I got this wrong and there is a work around? Do we think Denon will issue a firmware update to allow it?

Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

If I've read the manual right I can't have the volume OSD when feeding it 4k - which means all the time because I have Sky Q. Have I got this wrong and there is a work around? Do we think Denon will issue a firmware update to allow it?

Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

It isn't something limited by the firmware or software and is a hardware issue. The receiver's scaler hasn't the ability to scale content to the same video as that associated with UHD. It is a hardware restriction that cannot be altered using software updates.

Why do you need an onscreen display anyway?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom